Ceiling Trim Strips Question????

Zeitgeist

Hi,

I am doing a DIY job on insulating and putting panels into my Van and have a question or two. I hope you can help :)

I have carpeted some roof ply line panels and put the first one on, however the original thin trim strips don't now fit back on.

A quick look through the threads shows that you could get some longer fixing pins from Bolt on Bits, however these don't seem to be available anymore.

I have also seen the fixings from Harrison supplies and from the photo's these seem to be a different design and I am a bit concerned about being able to remove these at a later time.

Secondly when I got the panels they came with some ply thin strips which I covered but there is no fixings, so another question is how do people fix these, I have contemplated Velcro.

So I am hoping that people could share some idea's, advice, experience on how they fix the strips or suggest places where I could purchase some suitable clips.

Are the fixings you are referring to the hidden type or visible? If the hidden type I’m sure you get larger ones especially for the roof. You need to drill the ply and install the fixing before carpeting. The fixings then go into the existing roof holes so it’s important you template it correctly. If using visible fixings it’s a but easier as you can just drill through the carpet, ply and metal and install a new fixing where you want (taking care to avoid all cables!)

With regards to velcro I would avoid it for a full roof panel. I used Velcro to attach the carpeted trim panels around my pop top frame and whilst it was fine at first and felt secure over time and especially in the recent warm weather they have became detached in places. I’m constantly having to push them back up to the point where I’m going to have to strip out and come up with a new plan. These trim pieces are only about 6-8 inches wide so a full roof width would be a nightmare I reckon

I used 8mm extended fir tree clips in place of the original single use clips. You can get them off fleabay for a couple of quid. Just cut the edges down so they fit in the slot of your joining strip. All the holes are already in the roof spar/strengthener (whatever )

Last edited:
Back