Cbe Dimmer Switch

Wills

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone managed to wire a CBE dimmer switch into a 2 way switching arrangement?

You can’t. It’s only a single way switch.

2018-03-26 20.38.03.jpg

Hi @Wills it is indeed do able.....I made this circuit up and it allows you turn the lights on from the B Post, when you open the sliding door. and when your inside and the bed is made, you can turn the light down or up or off from the sleeping position.....works a treat :)

But that’s not 2 way. You can not turn it on from the dimmer if it’s turned off at the switch.

Last edited:
But the switch on the CBE Dimmer turns off the lights. It does mean though you cannot turn them on at the rear, if the B Pillar switch isn't on.

But that would mean you couldn't turn it on at the back if it was switched off at the front either, so it's not a 2 way circuit.

Thanks for all the replies. The only alternative is to disable the on / off on the dimmer so it's only a dimmer and use an addition 2 way switch?

Thanks for all the replies. The only alternative is to disable the on / off on the dimmer so it's only a dimmer and use an addition 2 way switch?
Yes @Wills that would work fine. The dimmer would act to limit the overall brightness and the lights could be switched on or off from either switch.

That's how we do it. You could also just use it as a master but then it gets confusing!

Hi...the Dimmer Switch is electronic I am sure and so needs an earth in order for it to work. You don't need to change the earth to the lights, just add an earth to the switch.
You need to break the +12V line between the supply and the the lights at the dimmer - so 12V into the Supply Input, and the Load then goes to the lights.

Hi...the Dimmer Switch is electronic I am sure and so needs an earth in order for it to work. You don't need to change the earth to the lights, just add an earth to the switch.
You need to break the +12V line between the supply and the the lights at the dimmer - so 12V into the Supply Input, and the Load then goes to the lights.

Thanks for that HattyCurll, I eventually managed to get it wired in the same as you have described and it works a treat. There was no disabling of any switches needed and I just wired it in line with a normal CBE switch. Now I can turn it on and off with both the dimmer push button or the switch. However I just tend to leave the push button switched on and turn the lights on and off with the CBE switch and dim with the rotary dimmer.

I have had the CBE MCR fitted for some time with no issues but have recently noticed the power light dimmly glowing but the lights controlled by the dimmer aren't on.
Occasionally the lights will momentarily switch on for less than a second without the button being touched.

The dimmer is wired with the supply and load earth wired to the -, the 12v supply to the + and the load positive to the out terminal.

@travelvolts has suggested checking the wiring particularly the earth which I have done no issues there.

Any ideas? Capacitor issue?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Old thread but does anyone know if it’s possible to get 12v from the switch on the cbe dimmer prior to it entering the dimmer/resister. I want to power relays similar to described above by @saxoboy but need to full 12v to the coil for them to operate. I know I could add another switch prior to the dimmer but I would have liked it all in the one dimmer.
Thanks

Back