Carpeting Rear Kombi Panels..

Okay, so after everything that’s been said and how I’ve moved from asking about carpeting the kombi panels, so then going against it and buying 3.6mm ply panels I’ve come back round in a circle.After visiting the local camper converter too me... (which happened to be a good friend of my good friend!) i'm sending back the 3.6mm ply panels. hes told me he carpets the kombi factory panels, as when the ply panels heat up (worse being a black van like mine) they warp. and he's seen it before ... interesting because i've not heard any of this of you boys. but if it saves me £165, then it saves me £165!!

He's going to carpet the van for me, which is good. Sound deadening is coming along nicely, regards the dodo matting , i've been told to wait till the van has been carpeted, then do it. So i shall.

going to upload a little video for those who haven't done sound deadening before, just to appreciate the difference in noise. comparison video to follow..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1WhPVaV6k

View attachment 31343
View attachment 31344
View attachment 31345

now I'm well confused, my 3.6mm ply panels arrived today. I've not heard of any ply panels warping in any thread before. Any one else heard of this?

now I'm well confused, my 3.6mm ply panels arrived today. I've not heard of any ply panels warping in any thread before. Any one else heard of this?

exactly, he said just send them back and save the money!! reckons the kombi panels are better!

@CALLAKN - this is really interesting. The guys at LV told me that they throw the factory hardboard in a skip, as they have new panels made! Picking up my van from them next week - having had the insulation done by them! I'll try and work out what they've actually used...

@CALLAKN Just a quick update. I asked LV about this and they definitely don’t use the original hardboard. A chap showed me the wooden panels that they have made up and then covered in suede. Pleased with what they’ve done to mine :)

Has anyone actually had any problems or troubles with the plywood warping ?!

Has anyone actually had any problems or troubles with the plywood warping ?!

I've just got back from my trimmers and they say 3.6mm ply lining will be fine and should not warp....especially as the std VW panels are hardboard they have more chance of warping...so the jusy is out :(:thumbsdown:

Been reading this with great interest as I’m getting my van this month and insulation and lining are the first jobs on the list. The way I see it, pretty much every work van is ply lined and I’ve never known any of mine or anyone else’s to warp.

WELL, the local converter after telling me he pays £260 for 60metre or carpet, and said cancel my order from megavanmats, has just quoted me £700 to carpet the metal work and put a suede lining on the panels!!!

WELL, the local converter after telling me he pays £260 for 60metre or carpet, and said cancel my order from megavanmats, has just quoted me £700 to carpet the metal work and put a suede lining on the panels!!!
I’m in the wrong business! How does that compare to other companies?

Sounds like he's pulling your pants down!!
That and the bull about ply warping

P.s im a carpet fitter/floor layer by trade

Thats no more than a days work !
£300 materisls max inc adhesive!!

Nice day rate 400 nicker lol

I will happily pay ANY forum member here to help me to do who’s done it themselves.

A bit of a thread resurrection. It seems that lots of people have taken out their OEM Kombi panels. Does anyone have some LWB ones they want to pass on?

I have a set lying in the garage, but be a bugger to post and they have the cut outs for the electric sliding door motors.

absolutely just give us a shout, they were going to the tip. I'll pm you my number.

Back