Anyone oiled their ply panels or used oak faced ply?

jamob

I'm looking for alternatives to carpet lining my rear panels, I want something more practical as we are regularly carrying bikes and other dirty stuff.

I was thinking of using either oak faced ply or just oiling the standard ply panels, but carpeting the metal areas. Has anyone done this or got any pictures?

I've seen vinyl covered ones, but I'm not keen on the look

Thanks

I bought oak veneered mdf from vanfurniture for the sides and floor. I’ve used oil to finish but will be varnishing the floor soon as the oil hasn’t worn very well

There are a lot of good water based varnishes around. I used Screwfix water based trade clear satin floor varnish on some OSB furniture I made. Easy to apply, dries really quickly, doesn’t smell too much, easy to clean brushes / spillages and very hard waring once fully dry. 2.5L is £24.99.

I carpeted my ply panels and ‘sealed’ the edges with a spirit based varnish to try and prevent delamination if it got wet, especially as I have OEM sliding windows!!

Oh, if going ‘bare’ I’d stick some offcuts of carpet or something on the backs of the ply. Carpeting the panels made a big reduction to cabin noise in mine, so perhaps consider a soft covering on the roof panels that are not affected by dirty bikes ?? :)

59A316F3-A7F2-412E-B221-2C1C558A4166.jpeg
Not the best picture I’m afraid. I didn’t want to carpet as I have a bench either side that makes a full width bed and a dog whose fur is attracted to carpet like a clothes brush. Both rear sides are done with the tailgate. I have twin sliders with a doorstore on the passenger side and I haven’t done the driver’s side yet due to a leaky factory window. The floors the same but grooved and originally the ceiling the same until the pop top was fitted. At some stage I intend to replace the bed bored with oak faced ply.

Back