Carpeting Rear Kombi Panels..

This is going to sound like a daft question but I'm about to pull the trigger on the carpet adhesive can to glue the carpet and it struck me,which side of the carpet should I glue and which side is visible???
It is fairly obvious when you get the carpet. One side looks smarter than t’other.

Ordered my plyline from custom designs on eBay as prompted, and also the silent coat and dodomatting from sounddeadeningshop.... do you recommend the hidden clips? Going to order some of megavan mats? Orrrrr are they a faff?!

Ordering carpet when I next get paid... life’s hard as an apprentice

Ordered my plyline from custom designs on eBay as prompted, and also the silent coat and dodomatting from sounddeadeningshop.... do you recommend the hidden clips? Going to order some of megavan mats? Orrrrr are they a faff?!

Hidden clips are pretty straightforward.

Can you let me know how well the custom designs ply panels fit and there quality? I nearly pulled the trigger today and bought some but I'd like to know now what there like.
I've spoken to Harrison trim about there hidden clips and they say for straight 3.6mm panels they will be fine but not ideal for the rear panels as they will need to bend

I’m sure it’s been covered but can’t find it anywhere, looking at Leighton vans, they look to carpet the rear panels then reattach them, saving them from ply lining? Is this correct, or has anyone done this? Or do you guys recommend getting it ply lined so that In the future it’s easier to add additional extras to the back of the van knowing the sides and roof are wood...
View attachment 29118

@CALLAKN - this is really interesting. The guys at LV told me that they throw the factory hardboard in a skip, as they have new panels made! Picking up my van from them next week - having had the insulation done by them! I'll try and work out what they've actually used...

Ok soooo, one says yes to hidden clips, the other has been told by Harrison’s they’re no good for the rear panels, helppppp!

How will the factory clips hold up with the new ply I’m fitting

Ply lining and silent coat/dodo matting has arrived. The stripping begins tonight, yas

watching this with interest

What clips did you go with in the end?

Haven’t bought any yet... was hoping someone would say yes to using the original clips... don’t think I’m going to go for the hidden ones as I want to be able to take the panels off with ease... and no hassle... as I build the van slowly.

Okay, ok so panels off, (minus tailgate) could do with a few pointers on removing tailgate one? Don’t want to damage any of the plastic fittings holding it in (electric boot release)

3A856968-14D2-4B34-91C9-3CE4D8EE1B89.jpeg

Secondly, how do I get the trim off between the roof panels? Some have pulled but went with a bang... was worried I’ve snapped them?! Or do you just give them a good old pull....

8FA3E961-C0AD-4D11-AF0A-26CB3E79F75F.jpeg

And finally, presume all vans come with this factory sound coating sheets... and also lumps of what look like “insulation” plan to rip the big lumps off and just soundcoat over the panels already in place

B5C3710A-0D0D-4658-9C72-2AF5A37E9050.jpeg

351FA78C-F8D8-4699-AB75-49C4037F25EF.jpeg

For the electric boot release use a trim tool and prise it out(I think there is a spring clip top and bottom from memory)should come out relatively easy.

The roof trim prise down with a trim tool

And the insulation,I took off the wool stuff and went over the bitumen type stuff on mine

For the electric boot release use a trim tool and prise it out(I think there is a spring clip top and bottom from memory)should come out relatively easy.

The roof trim prise down with a trim tool

And the insulation,I took off the wool stuff and went over the bitumen type stuff on mine

Brilliant thanks ever so much, the electric boot release has two layers, do i prize from the inner layer or the outer one.

@CALLAKN what clips did you go with? I've ordered the custom design ply panels today in 3.6mm and decided to keep the original hole size for the clips......

now I've got to find the right material to cover them in

Okay, so really struggling and scared I’m going to snap whatever I’ve trying to prise out on this bloody release !!

Help!!

5788AA54-673F-4840-BD8B-ACF067D9A3E2.jpeg

On the upside started silent coating, taking my time and measuring everything out to fit

Only got an hour in last night with my flood light but it’s a start

F2691D67-45B5-40B3-8747-BA80A199C4EF.jpeg
F2691D67-45B5-40B3-8747-BA80A199C4EF.jpeg

17135B2C-7689-4FB2-8535-3D0C3CD0CBA5.jpeg

@CALLAKN what clips did you go with? I've ordered the custom design ply panels today in 3.6mm and decided to keep the original hole size for the clips......

now I've got to find the right material to cover them in

Not fitting panels yet, probably get away with the original clips for now...

Need to order my carpet, from megavanmats

The door release comes out easily, just run a thin trim tool around it. Plastic tabs.

Decided to take the panel clips off first and got to it from the back, lot easier that way

Okay, so after everything that’s been said and how I’ve moved from asking about carpeting the kombi panels, so then going against it and buying 3.6mm ply panels I’ve come back round in a circle.After visiting the local camper converter too me... (which happened to be a good friend of my good friend!) i'm sending back the 3.6mm ply panels. hes told me he carpets the kombi factory panels, as when the ply panels heat up (worse being a black van like mine) they warp. and he's seen it before ... interesting because i've not heard any of this of you boys. but if it saves me £165, then it saves me £165!!

He's going to carpet the van for me, which is good. Sound deadening is coming along nicely, regards the dodo matting , i've been told to wait till the van has been carpeted, then do it. So i shall.

going to upload a little video for those who haven't done sound deadening before, just to appreciate the difference in noise. comparison video to follow..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1WhPVaV6k

655B0301-828E-4EFC-8900-9BA5B390F7FE.jpeg
3666ECF5-42B1-4976-9103-9FA5B0E671E2.jpeg
C37D6859-86E1-4B22-89EA-33733B72A5D6.jpeg

Back