Carpet Lining, Have I Ruined It

Rg_

T6 Guru
Insulated and carpeted my T6 in my Kombi. I was pretty pleased with how it all went overall.

Although there's one bit that really bugs me. My OCD is bad as it is.

I cut to short around the window and should have left more material over so I can tuck it on the inside.

Any ideas on how to tidy this up?

I couldn't live with that either. I'd be looking at cutting the offending part out and redoing it mate.

I know right i like to get it right lol

I'm tempted to just restart the whole of that side. Got plenty of time at home on the driveway right now.

If i pull it off any idea on a product to remove all the old glue residue?

I'd try some bug or tar remover first. Maybe a bit of meths?

Last edited:
Can you fit some carpeted window surrounds instead, they look quite neat. Think you can get non-carpet ones too, ie. black plastic?

Can you fit some carpeted window surrounds instead, they look quite neat. Think you can get non-carpet ones too, ie. black plastic?
Great idea, doesn't look like you have any curtains on that particular window - planning to?

Use a hair dryer (from a distance) and heat the carpet up - it is 4 way stretch at the end of the day. This should enable you to work it enough to pull it sufficiently to tuck back into the window reveal.

If you used spray glue you should find white spirit will dissolve it, just wipe it on the glue and keep turning the cloth.

Reactions: Rg_
Use a hair dryer (from a distance) and heat the carpet up - it is 4 way stretch at the end of the day. This should enable you to work it enough to pull it sufficiently to tuck back into the window reveal.
I'll give that a go first then.

If you used spray glue you should find white spirit will dissolve it, just wipe it on the glue and keep turning the cloth.
Like he said.
Most solvents will soften the glue but then dry out to leave it somewhere else. White spirit is a bit more oily and doesn't dry out so quickly. Definitely a go to for de-sticking stuff.

Certainly worth a stretch first...

I think @VGC Ltd sell plastic window surrounds - if stretching doesn’t work, they might be your solution.

Insulated and carpeted my T6 in my Kombi. I was pretty pleased with how it all went overall.

Although there's one bit that really bugs me. My OCD is bad as it is.

I cut to short around the window and should have left more material over so I can tuck it on the inside.

Any ideas on how to tidy this up?

I think that will stretch. It will move a lot, trust me I did something very similar to you.

How did you get on here? I have a similar problem where the u trim won't fit over the metal and the carpet together so will have to improvise. Was thinking of going down the route this guy has
(very talented bloke) and carpeting a surround made of ply. Should be quite simple and cheap.

How did you get on here? I have a similar problem where the u trim won't fit over the metal and the carpet together so will have to improvise. Was thinking of going down the route this guy has
(very talented bloke) and carpeting a surround made of ply. Should be quite simple and cheap.

Just tease the u-trim open a little. Try to use a wide tool/tools to spread the force out as anything narrow (like a screwdriver) will leave a tell tale lump as the metal inside the trim gets distorted.

Just tease the u-trim open a little. Try to use a wide tool/tools to spread the force out as anything narrow (like a screwdriver) will leave a tell tale lump as the metal inside the trim gets distorted.
Good shout will try that first thing tomorrow. To be honest it fits in most the places but as its a slider window there are two particular areas along the bottom where there's a mechanism that prevents the trim going over cleanly. I'm guessing the window fitters put the trim on before bonding the window. Might make the ply surround as well just for some fun and as a fall back option.

Back