Carpet lining- how long does it take?

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've done most of the insulation etc of our Kombi van now and need to bite the bullet and actually carpet line the metalwork.

Only issue is time. Everyone says it's not too hard, just take your time but how much time are we talking here? If I were to strip out the van on a Friday night, would I expect to have enough time to do the carpeting if I clear the whole day on a Saturday? Or, is it something crazy like a day per side? I've already done all the panels etc..

The video below is one of the most helpful I've seen and suggests that you can get away with pre-gluing the exposed metal work and carpet and doing it all 'in one go'. This would suggest to me that it's not too time consuming if you've done the prep.

As an aside, this approach seems prefererable to me to the other way I've seen where you only preglue the top of the van and carpet, hang the carpet like a curtain, and then do the rest of the gluing 'underneath the carpet'. Possibly though the pre-gluing only works if you've got enough experience to do it quickly.

Anyone got any wisdom?

I’d say if you strip everything out on the Friday, rear seats, panels and remove the trims etc. A day would be enough to get the metal carpeted. Once you’ve done one side the other should be easier due to experience. The bit that takes time is the wheel arches to get a good neat finish.

I did mine over a couple of evenings, stripped everything out one evening. One side one night the other the next. And little finishing bits, putting everything back in on the final one. If I added up all the hours probably would have taken all day Saturday to do it and maybe a bit of finishing on Sunday.

Best advice is don’t rush it.

Thanks, that's helpful.

The 'end of job' point for me would be when I can put the front seatbelts back on and use it again (so my wife can get to work). Rear flooring/rear seats/panels etc I can do over subsequent evenings. By the sound of it, that should be doable in a day.

I've watched the Kiravan and HQ videos and didn't fancy the look of the 'bit at a time gluing' method while under the carpet. Thought I might end up tar and feathering myself. If it's going to take a while though I guess it might be the ojnly way so the glue desn't end up going off too soon.

Any tips regards the wheel arches?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, which side is hardest? Sliding door or non-sliding door? I'd have thought the extra slack from cutting out the door might help?

I actually have a twin slider so I'm really hoping you're going to say the sliding door side :)

It's easy to do on a Saturday, and easier if you strip it out on Friday evening. Having twin sliders makes it easier as you can cut out a large section and stretch it to where you need to be.

I started behind the drivers seat but if I was doing it again I would start by the tailgate. The carpet was about 2foot taller than the side panels but you need this if you go around the tailgate in 1 part. Starting at the tailgate gets the carpet the right height.

Reactions: DXX
Okay, well, it was a pretty full on Saturday but I got the bulk of it done. I'm going to give myself a solid b+ for finish. No creases, no cuts, just one very small 'loose' spot where I didn't apply enough glue behind the carpet.

Once I'd fully cleared and cleaned the van I'd say it took me about 90 minutes to do the first side. the hardest part was definitely getting a good start where I had enough carpet free at both ends and set off at the correct angle. Took about 5 attempts. Key advice along with the 'take your time' would be 'don't panic'. the carpet is remarkably forgiving even after being applied and removed a number of times.

The second side took half as long. Got a good 'start' first time and moved along and down from there. I'd almost say I enjoyed it.

I did not find the wheel arches to be too difficult in the end. Again, the carpet is incredibly workable.

All the carpet was applied and trimmed by lunchtime. Happy days I though, home free......

Well, not so much. Jobs that took and age:

1. Re-applying the boot rubber. I expect there is a knack there. I don't have it.
2. Re-attaching all the trim (especially the steps inside the sliding doors, getting those clips lined up is a pig)
3. Locating, marking and 'holing' all the panel trim clip holes. Used a soldering iron to get nice neat holes.
4. OMG, getting those roof panels up and installed was hard graft. Definitely a two person job but it was just me. My arms are still aching.

Here's a pic showing the result at the end of the weekend. If you're eagle eyed you'll see I've not yet re-attached the side panels to the boot area. Hopefully get those done tonight.

1633941477549.png

It's a definitely a doable DIY task. I'm very happy taking on DIY tasks but this sort of work with fabric and glue is not my strength. I showed one of the video guides to my wife before I did the job and she said 'wow, that's exactly the kind of job you're sh*t at'. Basically she was highlighting how impatient I can get when working with fiddly details. Add the possibility of tarring and feathering myself into the bargain and I saw her point. Nonetheless, I did get it done and it is of a decent standard

Whether it's actually worth doing yourself vs paying someone is up to you. I definitely saved many hundreds of pounds but, all in, it took a lot of hours. This weekend was pretty much devoted to the task but there were also many 2 hour sessions in the early hours before work removing and carpeting the panels, adding insulation and generally prepping the job. You have to attach some value to your own time.

Even without those rear panels re-attached, the van is transformed from a comfort point of view. Soooo much quieter inside on the move and retains heat when you switch the engine off (sat outside my kid's weekend activities on Sunday I stayed nice and comfy for over an hour).

Anyway. Everything else that has been written on this is pretty accurate, the only thing I'd add is prep the hell out of the job before 'the day of the metalwork' and don't panic.

'wow, that's exactly the kind of job you're sh*t at' made me laugh.

Maybe for that loose spot you could make a tiny incision (enough to get a spray-can-nozzle in) and glue it down? Get it up to an A+?

Ohh, and, one last thing. I do not recommend gluing the carpet in one go and then just offering it up. I think this would work well for an experienced person. For your first attempt, you don't need the time pressure and/or possibility of the carpet sticking to itself .

Okay, well, it was a pretty full on Saturday but I got the bulk of it done. I'm going to give myself a solid b+ for finish. No creases, no cuts, just one very small 'loose' spot where I didn't apply enough glue behind the carpet.

Once I'd fully cleared and cleaned the van I'd say it took me about 90 minutes to do the first side. the hardest part was definitely getting a good start where I had enough carpet free at both ends and set off at the correct angle. Took about 5 attempts. Key advice along with the 'take your time' would be 'don't panic'. the carpet is remarkably forgiving even after being applied and removed a number of times.

The second side took half as long. Got a good 'start' first time and moved along and down from there. I'd almost say I enjoyed it.

I did not find the wheel arches to be too difficult in the end. Again, the carpet is incredibly workable.

All the carpet was applied and trimmed by lunchtime. Happy days I though, home free......

Well, not so much. Jobs that took and age:

1. Re-applying the boot rubber. I expect there is a knack there. I don't have it.
2. Re-attaching all the trim (especially the steps inside the sliding doors, getting those clips lined up is a pig)
3. Locating, marking and 'holing' all the panel trim clip holes. Used a soldering iron to get nice neat holes.
4. OMG, getting those roof panels up and installed was hard graft. Definitely a two person job but it was just me. My arms are still aching.

Here's a pic showing the result at the end of the weekend. If you're eagle eyed you'll see I've not yet re-attached the side panels to the boot area. Hopefully get those done tonight.

View attachment 132779

It's a definitely a doable DIY task. I'm very happy taking on DIY tasks but this sort of work with fabric and glue is not my strength. I showed one of the video guides to my wife before I did the job and she said 'wow, that's exactly the kind of job you're sh*t at'. Basically she was highlighting how impatient I can get when working with fiddly details. Add the possibility of tarring and feathering myself into the bargain and I saw her point. Nonetheless, I did get it done and it is of a decent standard

Whether it's actually worth doing yourself vs paying someone is up to you. I definitely saved many hundreds of pounds but, all in, it took a lot of hours. This weekend was pretty much devoted to the task but there were also many 2 hour sessions in the early hours before work removing and carpeting the panels, adding insulation and generally prepping the job. You have to attach some value to your own time.

Even without those rear panels re-attached, the van is transformed from a comfort point of view. Soooo much quieter inside on the move and retains heat when you switch the engine off (sat outside my kid's weekend activities on Sunday I stayed nice and comfy for over an hour).

Anyway. Everything else that has been written on this is pretty accurate, the only thing I'd add is prep the hell out of the job before 'the day of the metalwork' and don't panic.
great work !! you should definitely be proud of that! thanks for the tips too!

Ohh and one last, one last thing. This was a really light coloured carpet (Smoke). It still makes the interior feel darker. That may be the effect you're looking for but I'm glad I didn't go for a darker shade.

I also used a lighter shade again for the roof panels (Silver) and the effect is really good. Prevents it from becoming a carpet cave.

Just my thoughts.

Your finish looks very professional. Excellent write up, gives me confidence to tackle it myself. Out of curiosity which brand carpet did you use , did you carpet the existing OEM hardboard panels or replace with ply ( roof also ) and what type of fixing clips did you use/recommend?
I too have a twin slider, but also a sun roof which has different roof panel junctions between cab and load area, so may leave that as a part 2.

And, finally, with the rear panels installed:

View attachment 133008

Stuff nets pillaged from a previous car.

Need to give the floor a good mopping now :)
Stuff nets are great for keeping all the gaffer tape, rope, masks, cable-ties and all that other kidnapping gear nice and tidy!

That’s a stunning bit of work you’ve done there and a great write up to go with it! Thank you

Stuff nets are great for keeping all the gaffer tape, rope, masks, cable-ties and all that other kidnapping gear nice and tidy!

That’s a stunning bit of work you’ve done there and a great write up to go with it! Thank you
Thanks!

Your finish looks very professional. Excellent write up, gives me confidence to tackle it myself. Out of curiosity which brand carpet did you use , did you carpet the existing OEM hardboard panels or replace with ply ( roof also ) and what type of fixing clips did you use/recommend?
I too have a twin slider, but also a sun roof which has different roof panel junctions between cab and load area, so may leave that as a part 2.

I used carpet from The metal House:

It seemed to work pretty well. Only gripe is that it does 'fluff up' a bit in locations where it sees a lot of contact. For example, where our daughter rubs her foot against the sliding door panel when she's bored on long journeys.

I used a mixture of products including glue and carpet from The Metal House, clips from Transporter HQ and Megavanmats, poly insulation from Kiravan and sound deadening and foil backed 10mm self adhesive foam from dodo.

Initially I also used self adhesive foam from The Metal House but, unfortunately, the product was terrible. It was too stiff to form around the shapes in the body work and the adhesive 'let go' after an hour or so. Basically, it all fell off. That's when I ordered the dodo foam and, man, what a difference. A far, far, far (I can't overstate this) superior product.

To that end, I am curious if there are higher quality carpet options out there. The Metal House stuff was not particularly cheap and it was easy to work with but it's a lesser known brand. Maybe I'd go with Kiravan or another bigger brand next time (out of curiosity as much as anything).

I used the OEM panels with a mixture of clips:

Sliding door - Hidden fixing clips from Megavanmats.

Tailgate - Original fixing clips. On balance, I might use these on the sliding doors next time as I have picked up a niggly central locking issue and the hidden clips are going to be a pain when I remove the panel to investigate.

Side panels in the rear - Hidden clips for most and just two of the 'long' clips from Transporter HQ in the two locations where you are clipping to a piece of L bracket steel (you'll find these when you remove the panels.

Roof panels - Long clips from TransporterHQ with the exception of two spots where there is not enough space. Here I reused originals.

Rear seat belt covers - Long clips from TransporterHQ.

Can't stress enough the importance of creating neat holes for the clips to pass through in the metal work. Where I did not do this, the clips where a total PITA to fasten. As previously said, I sacrificed an old soldering iron to melt neat holes in the carpet.

Anyway, probably enough detail there to bore you to death. Hope some of it is useful.

Cheers.

The devil is in the detail, which many skip over which is why your thorough write up was of great interest to all (especially those of us wanting to take the plunge but afraid of the unknown). Advice much appreciated.
One other question, how did you finish the slam vent holes at either side of the tailgate? The oem panels don't even cover these fully on mine- see photo.

20211103_150438.jpg

Back