Caravelle vs Shuttle?

externally i don't think a whole lot.

generally speaking the spec and interior layout is different, in the velle you get things like zonal climate control for the rear passengers, you get a 7 seat layout that can be rearranged, and a small cooler/table, etc etc. The shuttle is 'just' a nicely specced well trimmed 8 seat minibus.

disclaimer: this is 'in a nutshell' and by no means a definitive answer.

oh the price is fairly different.

Caravelle - only available on SWB platform, 2 models to choose from (SE and Executive), has a maximum of 7 seats from the factory arranged with 2 in front, 2nd row of 2 (which rotate) and a 3rd row 3-seat bench. All rear seats and rear table can be slid on floor rails giving a very flexible interior.

Transporter Shuttle - available as a long or short wheelbase, 2 models again (S and SE), come as standard with 2 front seats, 2nd row 1+2 split seating, 3rd row 3 seat bench (optional dual passenger seat in the front gives maximum 9 seats including driver). All seats are forward facing and in fixed positions i.e. no sliding forwards or backwards. Interior trim not quite as 'plush' as Caravelle, think Window van with seats.

Hope this helps, it is normally quite easy to decide between the 2 depending what you plan to do with it.

Caravelle = 7 seater high end estate car/MPV

Shuttle = 5-9 seater smart minibus

That's a generalisation but the price/trim/equipment spec will follow those broad market segments.

The Caravelle certainly is and AFAIK the Shuttle is too (I didn't research the Shuttle much more once I decide after a test drive it was a bit basic spec for what we wanted to do with it)

'I thought' Caravelle's had all bells and whistles like big brakes, engine underside cover, power tailgate and doors, airbags for rear passengers etc, so lots of extra's as standard. Plus seats slide about as opposed to fixed and heating (plus AC sometimes) in the back.

Because of the rear airbags my wife said I cant have a cheaper transporter, which means I have to fix this old bag of nails ;-)

Caravelle - only available on SWB platform, 2 models to choose from (SE and Executive)
You could spec a LWB caravelle but only in SE trim level.

As above, shuttles are basic minibuses.
Caravelles are the 'high end' people mover.

There's a big spec difference on the Executive model Caravelle, less so on the SE. On the Executive and SE trim you get extra insulation, extra door seals, comfort dash as standard - then some extras on the executive trim - leather/alcantara as standard, 3 zone climate as standard, heated windscreen as standard, colour dash display as standard, extra chrome on the grille and body sides, 20mm lower suspension, electric sliding doors, the full caravelle rail system and swivelling middle seats... Etc etc.

The executive trim is a really nice place to be. Feels the most 'not a van' of any T6.

Looks like most of the shuttles only come with the plastic non multifunction steering wheel also. *Shudders.

Nope! Give me my leather and alcantara and double glazed windscreen/front windows and climate control and bigger infotainment and MFSW and piano black dash with about 20 cubby holes, and (not forgetting) the chilled bottle holder!

Last edited:
Nope! Give me my leather and alcantara and double glazed windscreen/front windows and climate control and bigger infotainment and MFSW and piano black dash with about 20 cubby holes, and (not forgetting) the chilled bottle holder!
If you go 6.1 Caravelle SE you loose some of those advantages. The 6.1 Comfort Dash is complete bobbins compared to the 6 one and the double glazing is only available as a quite steep option (and therefore rare secondhand)

I've had a 2 Shuttles, a T5 (SWB) and a T6 (LWB). Depends on what your using it for really as the Shuttle suits my needs better than the Caravelle. We got it as a family car with 2 kids, 2 dogs and biking / camping etc. Therefore only ever had the front 5 seats in and rear is used for general crap. Great have the flexibility to remove the individual middle seats as well. Probably the more versatile spec T6 available.

Mine has the zone climate, car class and slightly nicer spec. I've changed steering wheel and done a few little things but Im sure the premium of the Caravelle is worth it over the Shuttle with a few little cheapish tweeks.

One thing to note is be careful on the full 9 seater as a lot of insurance do class that as a minibus. I changed to single passeneger seat and had DVLA change it to 8 seater.

Don’t forget velle will have steep tax class for first five years
Well specced Shuttles will have been over £40k too.

Another consideration is the virtually zero depreciation of Velle's. I saw a 2019 Exec with average mileage sell recently for not much less than I bought my 2019 Exec when it was 3 months old for.

Well specced Shuttles will have been over £40k too.

Another consideration is the virtually zero depreciation of Velle's. I saw a 2019 Exec with average mileage sell recently for not much less than I bought my 2019 Exec when it was 3 months old for.
Yep, I've got the original order form for mine, £55k Inc £8k of options, April 2018 reg, so coming up to 6 years old.

I bought it for £45k in Summer last year at 5 years old - prices have dipped since then (hopefully just a winter dip) but good still be looking at £40k for mine. That's only £15k lost over 6 years! Or £7k if you discount the options.

From personal circumstances we got ours (2021 reg) just over a year ago for approaching 60k and Parkers currently rate it as around 50k.

It was a dealer demo so (hopefully) well maintained, reasonable low end mileage and very well specced with toys. I may have paid a bit over the odds but I was chasing a dwindling supply and I'm happy with what we paid.

During the search I found that trying to find something cheaper I was still looking at paying low 50s high 40s for several years older close to 100k mileage T6 Caravelles.

It was a major factor of taking the risk (this is by an order of magnitude the newest and most expensive vehicle I've ever bought) that while I was aware we may lose a chunk of value due to "new depreciation" the Caravelle has a market somewhat like the Landrover Defender - there are not going to be anymore but they are still desirable so the value really plateaus for a good chunk of time.

I’ve got one of each.

A swb older 2009 Velle
A LWB 2020 6.1 Shuttle.

Lots been covered already.

In the new models the plastic in the velles is still the same just with a metal or whatever option trim was chosen and sometimes but not always in a black colour. Vw really cheaped out. All the boring grey can be switched out albeit at some costs.

People who buy Velles new seem to spec them to a higher level than the normal shuttle buyer; ie very very common to see heated seats in a Velle and less so in a shuttle.

Velles tend to be bought as family cars or posh fleet carriers like Titan travels (my Velle index-titan).
Shuttles tend to be bought to ferry people snd stuff around in and may have been used as taxis.

The newer Shuttles have in my opinion a far greater range of seat options than any Velle except a lay flat bed specially if comes with the triple singles. Sure the single captains in the Velles are fab and twisty and slide however they take up a lot of space.

With some extra brackets installed in factory locations shuttles give you many more single seat variations albeit no armrests however the single seats are pretty comfortable.

With the brackets i have in mine I could technically seat 10 people all legally and all with belts etc albeit I’d have to register it as a minibus then.

I believe the newer shuttles generally also have the same fancy climatic control thing.

Oh and of course in Europe a uk Shuttle is a Caravelle and a uk Caravelle is a multivan which confuses various Europeans who join Facebook pages with a “shuttle” to be told by the Velle snobs it’s not a Velle.

There are in my view far more Velle snobs than any other type of Transporter than I’ve come across. I haven’t come across any in this group mind

velles have a tacky chrome Caravelle sign on the wing on the newer models.

Back