Caravelle head liner light removal

moodsterT6

T6 Caravelle - Day Van - Occasional Camper
T6 Pro
Hi, I’d like to fit some LED lights into the factory light fittings on my T6 Caravelle. I just want to add some additional bulbs into the diffusers then run a cable down the B Pillar to my Leisure battery under the seat. The original bulbs will stay in place so the lights work with car doors etc.

I’m hoping I can fish a cable over without needing to drop the headliner much but can’t work out if the light section can be dropped without removing the entire unit?
944BB26C-724A-46A7-BC50-64EC534393C1.jpeg
I’ve tried lever it gently with a trim tool but it doesn’t seem to want to budge, any ideas?

cheers,

Nick

Was able to remove the 4 light fittings, they were a right pain and you have to be super careful of the metal clips that hold the units in.

Anyway, all done.

D6A8D477-C287-4673-92CC-89BF1935B711.jpeg

5C4FF64D-86D5-41C1-8BE9-ED777502CCE5.jpeg

20711D4D-9FDA-49E0-8BFE-1E92C2B1C02F.jpeg

This is really neat. I've just bought a shuttle and looking to do something similar. Can I ask where you got the led lights and dimmer from?

This is really neat. I've just bought a shuttle and looking to do something similar. Can I ask where you got the led lights and dimmer from?

Hi, just about to do the same with my Shuttle, is the dimmer from the leisure battery giving separate switching to the overhead lights? I'd like separate control over these for camper use.
Thanks

Hi, just about to do the same with my Shuttle, is the dimmer from the leisure battery giving separate switching to the overhead lights? I'd like separate control over these for camper use.
Thanks
Hi, I gave up trying to use the factory lights for camping as the switching is complex and used a mixture of timed circuits which switch on the negative (ground) line. What I’ve done is run a new live from my leisure battery to the dimmer which supplies to some new LED lights fitted in addition to the factory lights. This way the factory lights still work as intended with the door switches and timed circuit Etc.

from the pictures higher up on this thread you can see how I mounted the new LED’s fed from the Leisure battery.

hope this helps.

Hi, I gave up trying to use the factory lights for camping as the switching is complex and used a mixture of timed circuits which switch on the negative (ground) line. What I’ve done is run a new live from my leisure battery to the dimmer which supplies to some new LED lights fitted in addition to the factory lights. This way the factory lights still work as intended with the door switches and timed circuit Etc.

from the pictures higher up on this thread you can see how I mounted the new LED’s fed from the Leisure battery.

hope this helps.

Ah I see, you mounted the new lights in old mountings on a seperate new switch so no rear lights from door switches and bulkhead controls. Is that right, probably best to keep it separate

Hi, I’d like to fit some LED lights into the factory light fittings on my T6 Caravelle. I just want to add some additional bulbs into the diffusers then run a cable down the B Pillar to my Leisure battery under the seat. The original bulbs will stay in place so the lights work with car doors etc.

I’m hoping I can fish a cable over without needing to drop the headliner much but can’t work out if the light section can be dropped without removing the entire unit?
View attachment 101256
I’ve tried lever it gently with a trim tool but it doesn’t seem to want to budge, any ideas?

cheers,

Nick

View attachment 101256

cheers,

Nick
Hi Nick, I’ve just found this thread by searching … please could you elaborate on how you go the light and vent units out of the headlining. I’be tried pulling them out, but worried I might snap them. Do you recall where the ‘clips’ are that I need to focus on? Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, from memory I think the spring clip is on the right hand side of the light unit (when facing the windscreen). Use a trim tool and just keep pulling down on one side, you’ll feel it start to release.

Be careful not to weaken the spring clips too much, I’ve had one of the light units come out a few months later (just a little) and I needed to remove it and bend the spring clip a bit to make it a tighter fit.

They are real pain to remove and refit properly but worth it if you want lights inside the factory light fittings.

Good luck!

Cheers, Nick

Back