Caravelle curtains still unavailable

@DaveCrampton thats all good, but on a Caravelle there is only plastic trim on the side sliding doors and nothing but roof lining on rear quarter windows, so those aren’t going to help lol

Yes, my shuttle is the same. I used the screws provided but only tightened them gently so not to screw through the thread holes. It is jus a matter of going very careful.

@DaveCrampton can you send me images of the rails
Attached to the roof lining on the rear quarter windows

I’m intrigued as done this before on a previous Caravelle and the tightness of the curtains pulled the plastic trim out of shape,

IMG_20220105_123057.jpgIMG_20220105_123139.jpgIMG_20220105_123142.jpgIMG_20220105_123150.jpg

Hi, apologies for the delay. The curtains I have are from Kiravans'. They are great for what I wanted. I didn't choose the blackout as these were cheaper and I knew I'd be ok with the lighter curtains as my windows have tints (OEM) and blinds.
The side windows fit ok, not as snug as on the metal I guess, but I didn't need to bend them.
The rear was fine to fit and has come out well. I sat in the boot with the door closed. The upper rail sits next to the roof. I fitted then with the door closed so there was no risk of tting them where the two internal panels are next to each other, in effect causing them to distort. The lower rail was similar, fitted with the door closed so the rail would not crush between the inner panels where they come together.

As I may have said above. The self tappers worked fine. Don't over tighten them, just nip them up. The curtains are not under any great strain so no possibility of the tight curtains pulling the rails out of the plastic.

Edit, just reread your post. I'll take photos of the side curtain rails and post below.

@DaveCrampton thanks for posting the pics, I’ve comfortably had the tailgate and cabin divider fitted as these have strong points to screw the rails into, the issue is the side sliding doors but more importantly the rear quarter windows

IMG_20220106_135332.jpgIMG_20220106_135337.jpgIMG_20220106_135357.jpgIMG_20220106_135408.jpgIMG_20220106_135414.jpgIMG_20220106_135418.jpgIMG_20220106_135432.jpgIMG_20220106_135443.jpg

IMG_20220106_135414.jpg
Hi again, ok here are one side of the rear side windows. I initially discovered these curtain rails are bent for screwing directly to the metal in the van. My Shuttle has the VW inserts/cards. I started by bending one of the rails to attempt to fit better but this just pushed the edges of the rails towards each other which prevents the curtain runners from moving past. Then if I just drilled and screwed holes in the metal rails and screwed to the plastic they are fine, and although I wouldn't pull hard on them, they are firm enough not to be pulled off moving the curtains closed and open again. I had to adjust this side, afterwards as I discovered the rail was restricting the return of the seatbelt. These curtains don't restrict the blinds either.

Again, these are the curtain kits sold by Kiravans. I don't have curtains for the side doors. But I don't anticipate any issues.

All the best, Dave C

@DaveCrampton

Hi Dave

Thanks for the images, looks good enough, but I’m sorry, what have you screwed the top rails into? I have the roof lining only on the rear quarters (no seat belt on the bottoms) the bottom plastics are easy and no issue at all, same as doors, although in time the curtains will distress the plastic trim out of shape due to the tensions
BUT the top of the rear quarters is what we struggle with, short of putting some sort of wooden block underneath the lining for them to screw into?
Went in direct before and it pulled the lining down after 2 months
Hopefully things may be different after 30/01/22 if things go accordingly

Sorry Andy, I keep forgetting, life gets in the way, and my van is off for it's timing belt changed today.

Back