Caravelle bed comfort?

KevinKRI

I’m looking at fitting one on the rail system in my next van. Question is, are they comfortable? Was thinking the factory VW one second hand full width. Any pros/cons or other brands you’d recommend? Definitely needs to be on a rail.
Thanks !

889CB546-95EC-4E91-A5F2-5F808ACFE935.jpeg

I didn’t find mine very comfortable at all.
Titan beds do one that fits on OEM rails.
Reimo 3000 variotec is also an option.

I found my caravelle seat/bed ok with a self inflating mattress, and the consensus from everyone seems to be that you'll need something - I bought the 40 winks topper which I've not yet tried. The downside with the topper which I hadn't realised in advance is even though it folds 3 ways it is full width which means it won't fit across the very back of the fan due to the wheel arches.
Anyways, keep in mind as well as some kind of extra mattress (see above) you'll need an extension board to make the caravelle seat/bed full length. You can look for an OEM multiflex or a much more readily available and affordable copy.
I had a Reimo variotech in my previous T4 velle, this was super comfy so didn't need a topper (did need an extension though).
Hope that helps!

You still need a mattress and an extension board, its not meant to be used "as is" unless you are a midget then you can do away with the extension board.

Hello @KevinKRI ,if you have swivels on your front seats,you can swivel them round,slide the back seat forward to meet them and sleep on the bed with your feet on the front seat. Not the most comfortable way to sleep but do-able. We do this as we have a big dog cage at the rear of the van which sits where the multiflex would go

Thanks. I have a set up I have built similar to Ovano/infinity custom. Works great really comfortable with self inflating Berghaus double but....

Next van id like the option of more internal space, so a sliding bed would seem to suit that. That's why I thought Caravelle so I can still use the rear as a van

I use an inflatable double air mattress with a small powered pump. It's fully inflated in minutes and same to pack away.

I have a caravelle seat setup in my LWB
shuttle with a custom rear shelf / board.
I went for the 'stee free' foam mattress which folds into 3 and is the width of the van, so still quite bulky but suits me.

20210501_193912.jpg

20210502_121414.jpg

20210502_122134.jpg

I have the Vanessa mattress on top of the seat and multiboard, the Vanessa is quite thick, expensive but comfortable. You basically have a full size double.

I prefer sleeping with head towards front, that's the most comfortable as you have seat foam and mattress under your head/back. If you go head to rear, then your head is on mattress and multiboard - and that's not quite a comfortable.

Thanks. I have a set up I have built similar to Ovano/infinity custom. Works great really comfortable with self inflating Berghaus double but....

Next van id like the option of more internal space, so a sliding bed would seem to suit that. That's why I thought Caravelle so I can still use the rear as a van

That's why I picked the Caravelle seat set up, my van has lots of uses it's a true 'Multivan'- so IMHO this gives the widest use. I don't need a kitchen all the time so why carry it ??

I can take the triple out and use all the space, I can push seat forward and I have enough room for bikes etc, even a trials motorbike. I can also push the seat back and put the 'velle table back in for a big 'lounge' area

California bed is flat, Caravelle isn’t, both need a foam mattress topper to be comfortable. I have a Cali’ double seat, very practical and comfortable.

A755F428-5877-4825-BF0B-A534AF62D807.jpeg
I’ve built a kitchen pod for the back which doubles up as the extension for the bed. It can be easily removed for use as a van or full 7 seater. I’ve just purchased a Lycksele Lovas mattress from IKEA for £70. It part folds and I intend to cut it so it folds 3 ways. It seems comfy but will be trialling it fully over the next 2 weeks.

I found my caravelle seat/bed ok with a self inflating mattress, and the consensus from everyone seems to be that you'll need something - I bought the 40 winks topper which I've not yet tried. The downside with the topper which I hadn't realised in advance is even though it folds 3 ways it is full width which means it won't fit across the very back of the fan due to the wheel arches.
Anyways, keep in mind as well as some kind of extra mattress (see above) you'll need an extension board to make the caravelle seat/bed full length. You can look for an OEM multiflex or a much more readily available and affordable copy.
I had a Reimo variotech in my previous T4 velle, this was super comfy so didn't need a topper (did need an extension though).
Hope that helps!
I have a multiflex board but have replaced with an adjusting platform style ladder. I can use it as a parcel shelf with a board on top, as a bed extension, as a table or to reach my roof box. Suits me much better and folds flat too.

I have a multiflex board but have replaced with an adjusting platform style ladder. I can use it as a parcel shelf with a board on top, as a bed extension, as a table or to reach my roof box. Suits me much better and folds flat too.
Do you have any pics of your setup please mate?

Its good but... I'm a side sleeper so ended up getting another cheap thin mattress topper to stop my hip digging in

Its good but... I'm a side sleeper so ended up getting another cheap thin mattress topper to stop my hip digging in
Thanks @GordonHR I'm still undecided what I want to do for the leg extension, I'm thinking either a slide pod or the SteeFree system. Then I think I'll try an air mattress after hearing your response as I'm a side sleeper too! Thanks Gord!

I've just thought... the only reason I need an extra layer was because my hip was on a solid wooden board. My head was at the tailgate end. You probably wouldn't need it if you slept the other way

Back