Caravelle Battery - Lifespan When Camping

Beamers

Evening all

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on how long the charge is likely to last in the main (and only) battery in our 17 plate Caravelle which we have just purchased. (We love van BTW - what a family machine!)

We've just returned from a single night camping trip, using the vehicle as a base. It has electric powered side doors and I was paranoid about going in and out via them due to the power being drained from the battery.

Any idea just how much juice the battery will hold? Should I be thinking about getting one of these types of things to keep the engine battery topped up during multi day / night trips when the van is not going to be driven:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910301/falcon-10w-portable-solar-panel-battery-charger-15910301

It doesn't have a leisure battery and we won't be running anything off of the 12v sockets when parked up. Its just the doors, oh and the small light in the boot which come when the tailgate is open.

Ta in advance.

personally i wouldn't bother with that . . .

why?

very low power output,
no solar controller to regulate the power and stop any back flow

you might be better looking at one of these . . . 12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

why?

better power output.
has a solar controller.
stops reverse battery drain.
better quality.

more info:

To find out how long a battery will last . . . . .first look at the battery and find the amp hour capacity (should be between 85ah and 110ah)

then measure and add up your loads . . . . . for example:

load=1ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 85hrs
load=2ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 42.5hrs
load=10ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 8.5hrs

BUT you can only use 50% of that battery . . . . . . SO

load=1ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 85hrs >>>>>> 42.5hrs
load=2ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 42.5hrs >>>>>21hrs
load=10ah on a "85ah battery" then the battery should last 8.5hrs >>>>> 4hrs

Also as an example a 100W solar setup should be able to charge @ about 6ah during the day time in direct sun.

Back