Caravans / leisure trailers: bike rack on a-frame

VanDamMan

Wanderer…Not lost..Enjoy life’s Journey
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m thinking of getting the Thule Smart bike rack….to fit on the A frame of my trailer….any feedback from users :)

Due to impending purchase of an E bike …..

8F5905F9-49D5-4664-AEA0-226AE412EDD4.jpeg
did my measurements and will clear the handbrake…

You'll need to be careful with the nose weight of the trailer with a heavy bike on it.

You'll need to be careful with the nose weight of the trailer with a heavy bike on it.
Thanks….already thought of that will balance the trailer ….the trailer has a load capacity of 500kg ( gross 750kg ) unfortunately the existing system won’t take the weight of an E bike

C14F52AB-3944-439D-B396-0EFE24217A0E.jpeg
all because of a bad hip ….:eek:

I wouldn’t be able to use one without making some big changes first as my caravan noseweight is around 95kg’s already.

But a mate uses one on his caravan and it looks like a good bit of kit.

Thanks….already thought of that will balance the trailer ….the trailer has a load capacity of 500kg ( gross 750kg ) unfortunately the existing system won’t take the weight of an E bike

View attachment 168381
all because of a bad hip ….:eek:
Mounting the bike on the A frame is still adding weight to the trailer, so how will it be different to what you are doing now?

Plus, it will seriously compromise the amount of bend you can have in your outfit, so restrict tight turns.

I think @VanDamMan is probably referring to the load limit for the Anssems trailer top which is rated to 100kgs. I would have guessed it would be ok though.

I think @VanDamMan is probably referring to the load limit for the Anssems trailer top which is rated to 100kgs. I would have guessed it would be ok though.
Yes ..top limit is 100kg…but still no good as Thule proride only allow 20kg ( most carriers of this type are all the same weight limit ) …so yes will have to think about tight turns but it’s the shortest rack system available ( depth 44 cm ) it’s not just the weight it’s lifting it up on top :eek:….and plus being a small trailer it’s easy to unhitch and move …….Thule and others make quality systems but-you have to choose the correct location to put it bearing in mind the weight of the bikes…..I’d hate to test a rack to its limits and fail while driving….like our vans this trailer has proved very adaptable but you still need to be safe ….many thanks for the feedback:)

Last edited:
You guys got me thinking….my drawbar is 1mtr…..which is I believe standard on a lot of caravans…so should not have any issues..but like said will be mindful of tight turns :)

Back