Can't Wait, But Confused

RosscoPCole

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello, after long and hard deliberation we have decided to sell our Pennine folding camper and buy a T6 conversion. The problem is we keep changing our mind on what we want after every conversion place we visit our ideas change. We would like a bus that will be used as an everyday vehicle for my wife that will seat 6 do we can take our two children and the outlaws out for the day. We have heard a tailgate is more useful than barn doors and can hold a bigger bike rack. It must be able to seat four, have a job, sink and fridge. Also the idea of plenty storage keeps coming up so we can just jump in the bus and go away for a holiday. A comfortable long distance cruiser is a must as we drive from Dorset to Edinburgh regularly. A TV would be very useful and a blow up awning is also on the list.
Having never had a bus before and advice on which conversion company to use and which kit is essential or not would be very good to know before we splash out.
Thanks in advance.

Four adults & two children carrier, daily driver, holiday camping machine, load lugger.. That's a big ask..!

How good at compromising are you..? I'd be looking at a Long Wheelbase as a minimum, but the standard camper layout for Transporters is a 2 or 3 front row (twin seats are narrow on the beam, though..) with a 2 or 3 bench in the back. Kitchen units fit alongside the seats, and it's here where the compromises start.

Best advice is to look at as many as you can & get a feel for the company you're going to trust.

Good hunting..!

I would suggest a KOMBI type van with 2+1 seats in the rear. You could take out '1' seat while travelling for more space. Large load area in the back. Have a BESPOKE pod to suit your needs in the rear which you could lift out. I prefer tailgate as provides a cover at the rear if whether not very good and can also put lights in it.

We do full conversions and Kombi conversions. There will always be a compromise on a 1 vehicle does all. I'd go for a 150 BHP engine, highline and have it converted to suit your needs. Insulation, speaker upgrade etc.

I don’t like the rear door bike racks, personal, but think they look ugly, and damage paint work, and you cant have a spoiler, and you may need to upgrade gas struts on tailgate. We always recommend a tow bar and a detachable bike rack to fit on the tow bar.

You can buy a van and have it converted or a company can find the right van for you. We do both, depending on the customers’ needs and budget.

All the best

Ian

Having never had a bus before and advice on which conversion company to use and which kit is essential or not would be very good to know before we splash out.

I guess the answers are going to be a bit subjective because everyone's needs are different.

For us the pop-top with bed, full insulation, night heater, DC-DC charging and solar panel were the 'essential' bits of kit but, don't rule out stuff like a gas outlet so that you can hook up a gas cooker outside (wished we'd thought of that). I love a fry-up first thing in the morning but don't want to use the hob in the van as I don't want the van smelling like a transport caff.

Oh, and an underslung water tank - It's out of the way and you don't have to waste space in your cupboards carrying your bottled water.

If you haven’t used one before, try hiring one for a few days to see what works for you and what doesn’t. Don’t rush into it and make sure you get it right first time as it will be expensive if you change your mind, also different companies have different preferences as to what they do. Storage was high on our list and we went with a Wallas XC duo hob/heater so the battery and associated units can go under the front seats plus there is no requirement for gas storage.
Happy hunting

I believe I am in a similar situation to you and, after buying a T6 last May, I am only now pressing forward with the conversion that meets my needs.

Here is my journey/thought process...
My wife and I have x3 little children (all in car seats) and regularly have family travelling with us (cousins, parents, friends). We wanted a x5 seater all the time but a x7 seater when needed. We also want to be able to go away camping...

Last year we bought a T6 highline 4motion 150 SWB single slider kombi. We chose a tailgate and we have a towbar for bike rack (x5 bikes!)

Since then I have:
- stripped out the rear interior
- sound deadened, closed cell insulation, plastic fleece insulation the panels
- x4 Caravelle rails (thus allowing for triple seat that turns in to a bed, with a sleeper pack extension and also can add x2 removable single seats)

In the next few weeks:
- Reimo roof and roof bed
- 250w solar panel, x2 110ah leisure batteries, 230v electrics and 12v electrics (batteries and chargers under the seats)
- x2 rear windows and full 'line out'
- Ply and karndean floor

We have owned VW campers for the last ~15yrs and found that we rarely use the sink and usually cook outside. I personally prefer a removable fridge.
We like:
- Cadac Carri Chef 2 for cooking
- VW Caravelle cooler box (7E0065400)
- Carry containers for freshwater and for waste

...I may consider one of these too https://www.evomotiondesign.co.uk/product/micro-pod-plus/ and, for storage, a full width version of this T5/6 Over Bed Locker | EVO Design

Another possibility is a slide pod:
The Multi VW Campervan pod by Slidepods

Thanks for all the replies. It has given us a lot to think about. I like the idea of an underslung water tank as it will give us more storage, but do you then need another container to fill it up? Or should a full tank last a while? Originally we thought about a pod behind the driver's seat, but then we realised that we couldn't easily store all the bedding, etc in the van so we could just grab a few clothes and dash away whenever we wanted. This was the major benefit of the folding camper, but the towing speed and the extra bulk let it down. We could do a day trip to Yeovil and visit you Ian and see what you offer, have looked at your website and am impressed. So more thinking, discussions and new possibilities to think about.

I like the idea of an underslung water tank as it will give us more storage, but do you then need another container to fill it up?

My tank is 23L but I think you can get larger ones. We got some blue hose to fill up from the tap but you can do it with a funnel and a watering can. Campsites generally like you to collect your waste water and dispose of it in the designated places so we use a 23L plastic container or, where available/permitting, a small hose from the waste pipe exit to a drain on the pitch.

My water tank is 12G I seem to remember... Never gonna use that much water so I will downsize it when I get around to it...
Best advice above is to hire something, have a play with it see what you need, then go to some of the shows over the summer and see what's possible. It's mindboggling.
Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. It has given us a lot to think about. I like the idea of an underslung water tank as it will give us more storage, but do you then need another container to fill it up? Or should a full tank last a while? Originally we thought about a pod behind the driver's seat, but then we realised that we couldn't easily store all the bedding, etc in the van so we could just grab a few clothes and dash away whenever we wanted. This was the major benefit of the folding camper, but the towing speed and the extra bulk let it down. We could do a day trip to Yeovil and visit you Ian and see what you offer, have looked at your website and am impressed. So more thinking, discussions and new possibilities to think about.
Hi Rossco, yes no problem, just let me know to arrange a visit, email below. We are currently developing a new website, taking longer than expected due to workload....

We tend not to use underslung tanks, for a number of reasons, need to clean and defuzz often, need to winterise, need filling point - we don’t like side fillers, ugly, so have made ones on the bumper, do you really need that much water??
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
:eek::eek: Its far simpler to use an internal bottle, if it gets dirty, easy to clean, easy to fill, etc. End of the day, it’s your van so your choice, we can only advise pros and cons.

let me know if you would like to visit,

Cheers,

Ian

Back