Candy White - What colour for pop top canvas?

Difficult to tell with the lighting i think in the workshop - the last pic looks like it matches to me and looks fine. The first one looks different but not jarringly so.

The middle picture makes it look like its a black roof, ie not colour coded at all. I'd put that down to the fact that the lighting isn't even across the van if you know what I mean.

I've had alot of difficult trying to marry up my vinyl, decals and wheels in a similar shade as they are all metallic hues. I find its best to do it in the shade with no direct lighting falling on the surfaces so there's no shine/reflection to influence it.

Last pic looks good to me. You are always going to get shading differences when viewed at different angles.

Pete

Thank for your response @GeekGrimmy and @Pete C

I to agree with every point you’ve raised, the lighting I believe is throwing it off and certain angles make it look different but I do believe that’s to be expected.

Colour coding a fibre glass roof to match a metal painted van always comes with its own challenges also. I do have matte black alloys and side bars to match to go onto the van once complete which I believe any angle difference s might actually make it look better matched. I was after some other eyes to have a look over to pass comment also.

Thanks guys

Thank for your response @GeekGrimmy and @Pete C

I to agree with every point you’ve raised, the lighting I believe is throwing it off and certain angles make it look different but I do believe that’s to be expected.

Colour coding a fibre glass roof to match a metal painted van always comes with its own challenges also. I do have matte black alloys and side bars to match to go onto the van once complete which I believe any angle difference s might actually make it look better matched. I was after some other eyes to have a look over to pass comment also.

Thanks guys
You're welcome.

What i've learned from trying to colour match my alloys, decals and vinyl is you don't have to get it spot on. Like you say, lighting plays a big part so even a dead match will look different from one angle to another.

My bronze front badge at the moment is wildly different and a bit ostentatious but only really when viewed dead on. Viewed from the side its toned down and inline with the matte bronze alloys.

Trying to colour match a GRP roof to a metal body is going to be a challenge, add metallic into the mix & it's even worse. I think looking at the pics, you've got a good job. I have an Oryx white van & the roof is noticeably different, I showed it to a friend of mine who owns a body shop (he didn't paint it) & he said he couldn't have got it any better.

Thank you @Salty Spuds - I am happy with the roof but wanted to double check with others that my initial concerns about the colour match were actually the reality of trying to get the GRP to the van. When spending a lot of money on a product you want to be sure its 100% correct. I appreciate everyone's positive input

Just about to order my roof and a quick question most suppliers do a gel coat black and I’m tempted to match the original colour which is red. I assume if I go red it will be painted and wondered therefore what peoples experiences were of coloured roofs? Also has anyone seen an alternative to carpet lining to trim the edges?

Pop top roof colour coding.
Hi I am having a little wobble over my pop top roof colouring.. My van is swb in pure grey.. . and have ordered black roof and am wondering if I have made an error and should keep the pop top roof the same colour as the van pure grey...? Or whether it will be OK with black..? If anyone has some images to share to ease my worry that will be much appreciated

At 3 years old now my shiny black pop top keeps turning a faded satin/matte black where the sun is killing the shiny gel coat.
Cutting back with Farecla on a mo and polishing brings it back for a few weeks but eventually the gel coat will disappear at this rate.
Painting the top body coloured would look good on darker colours but if like me you've got an upside down bath tub ie three inches high then it might draw the eye to it and make the van look a bit chunky?

It's a west dubs pop top roof due to be installed soon which is black and black canvas on a pure grey van.... Just wobbling over my colour choices

I have a reflex silver van with all black accessories (wheels grills etc) and I think the black austops roof looks really good and no signs of discolouration after 3 years. You will still have a black seal round even if it’s body colour anyway

Back