Can you code for larger wheel circumference?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I see that VW are also offering 20" tyres after a recent visit.
Can you code the vehicle for a larger wheel/tyre circumference?

Cheers
Ollie

Form the bit of research I’ve done, VW recommend 275/35’s. Which is as close as you’ll get to your current 16/17’s, with recommended tyre size

Form the bit of research I’ve done, VW recommend 275/35’s. Which is as close as you’ll get to your current 16/17’s, with recommended tyre size
Thanks Mark - my challenge with 275 is the width, these stick out from the wheel arch on my current alloys and depending on your MoT tester a 'fail'.
I've reverting to 265/40 but these still have a 4% offset.

I`m currently researching speedo corrections before I get my wheels changed to 20" at the converters in the next few weeks. I used to be a Tachograph Fitter and the K FACTOR is the coefficient of the speedo for the pulses received over 1 Km. 20" wheels will alter this value.
The L Factor is the circumference of the tyre (mm) and the difference on my 16 - 20 tyres will be 2113 up to 2289. 36 revolutions less per Km (approx 6mph faster than indicated on the speedo @ 70mph).

I’m confused.
Yes, tyres outside of the bodywork is typically a fail on a vehicle not designed for this.
Are you also saying your speedo being out by 4% is an MOT fail?

I’ve just swapped from 215/60 17s to 275/35 20s. Using the Waze speedo, cruise control set to 60, my 17s were reading 1 mph under ie 59mph. The new 20s read 60 mph.

Thanks Mark - my challenge with 275 is the width, these stick out from the wheel arch on my current alloys and depending on your MoT tester a 'fail'.
I've reverting to 265/40 but these still have a 4% offset.
You need a set of winter wheels which you can leave on for mot and then put you others back on lol

All speedos under report to some extent as manufacturers don't want to be held responsible for speeding tickets and whilst some are close you are never going to be spot on - especially once you get into the scientific minutia of tyre wear and inflation etc. I have 20's on my van and 70 is 70 according to my wife when whizzing along in the volvo behind me. When I go along in the volvo behind my wifes Nissan leaf, the leaf said 70, but the volvo was only at 64 - so that is way out. I would just say don't get too hung up on a 4mph diference.

I may be being lazy as I see from a previous post that there is a site where I can check if the wheels will fit but I am considering replacing the 17 inch Devonports on my Kombi with 20 inch wheels with 40 profile tyres. Will this affect my speedo reading or should I be looking at other options?

Back