Can you change the struts on LWB pop top

Loveit

It takes both my husband and I too pull down our pop top. We've tried pulleys as we saw in a previous forum but the roof didn't even budge. Is there a specific strut strength that must be used or are there options?
Had anyone else had a similar problem?

You can change struts, but generally the manufacturer should have worked out the correct force required and used these struts. If they are old and need changing, and assuming they are the correct struts, there should be details printed on the body of the strut for the force in N. You will also need to know what ball ends you have and the length of the strut extended. If you can get these details and contact a company such as - these they will be able to help.

Rgds

Ian

Thank you, the roof is only two years old so new struts. The van is a professional conversion so would have been fitted as per instructions. Guess we're stuck. :(

We had a similar problem one side was harder to pull down and didnt push up as easy it was not the struts but the scissor bracket on the rear very gently lubricated as to not get any on the canvas and it now works a treat up and down

Dometic dont make roofs. The company who fitted shoud be able to let you know which model was used.

You could try a few of these?

We had a similar problem one side was harder to pull down and didnt push up as easy it was not the struts but the scissor bracket on the rear very gently lubricated as to not get any on the canvas and it now works a treat up and down
Will give the scissors a bit of tlc. It all helps. Thanks

You probably are, but make sure you have a door or window open when opening or closing the pop top, there's a lot of air to being moved.
I have heard of the scissor hinges being bent with the force pulling the top down when no Windows or door open.

Speak to your conversion company and see what they say, I sure they will have some advise regards what brand of roof you have and any common issues

You probably are, but make sure you have a door or window open when opening or closing the pop top, there's a lot of air to being moved.
I have heard of the scissor hinges being bent with the force pulling the top down when no Windows or door open.
Hi Stripy, yes we learned that lesson on our first van. Thankfully besides keeping the door open there's a length of elastic fitted on the inside of the top which pulls the top in and helps to make sure that the scissors are kept away from the fabric.
It's quite frustrating, together we weigh around 20st but we still have to tug really hard to get it moving.

Speak to your conversion company and see what they say, I sure they will have some advise regards what brand of roof you have and any common issues
Thanks, sounds like that is the only option. We'd hoped that we could have got it fixed locally.

Just give them a call and ask, if you find out the info you need could prob do it yourself or get someone local to do it

Just give them a call and ask, if you find out the info you need could prob do it yourself or get someone local to do it
Thanks Pauly, I'll give them a ring in the morning. We'd asked for gas to be let out during the last habitation check. It didn't change anything that time.
There must be a solution as there doesn't appear to be a anyone else with a problem with these longer pop tops. It's just us 10st weaklings.

Remember the weather has a bearing, as it gets hot and cold the pressure will go up and down slightly within the struts making them a bit weaker/stronger
Just be careful you dont let out to much or they may be too soft in winter

Remember the weather has a bearing, as it gets hot and cold the pressure will go up and down slightly within the struts making them a bit weaker/stronger
Just be careful you dont let out to much or they may be too soft in winter
Ok, we only need it soft enough to pull down reasonably, not too easily. We'll get someone local with experience to do it if that is the answer.

We have a HiLo pop top, and have similar problem. Husband can manage to pull roof down with a lot of effort, but I can’t. I can’t push up or pull down the bed platform either. I really want a fixed Reimo Ergoline Hightop with our new T6.1 that we’re about to convert but my husband doesn’t like the look of them. The HiLo was very spacious and loved the zipped windows and midge nets, so we could sleep with windows undone in hot weather. If we did stick with a pop top, we’d want one with a low profile and opening windows with midge nets. Anyone recommend an alternative to a HiLo roof?

Back