Can Tail lights can be reprogrammed to come on with the front LED running lights?

If that’s a problem could it be that you are driving too close?
Could well be but usually in morning traffic there’s not a lot of choice exept to keep away from roads entirely ;)

Not a huge issue, just unnecessarily annoying and unnecessary to start with. I’m happy many new cars come with rears on always from the factory.

Reactions: mmi
That's because the rain and light sensor is the same thing.

I'm wondering if the van has an aftermarket auto light switch kit. I've fitted one to our Polo. It has it's own light sensor, so doesn't talk the the cars original rain sensor, therefore doesn't put the headlights on with the auto wipers.

You couldn't see the vehicle beside us

Are you sure they weren't on? Were the wipers in Auto too?
Definitely weren't on.

We were just passing a vehicle and the headlights were not on.

That's because the rain and light sensor is the same thing.

I'm wondering if the van has an aftermarket auto light switch kit. I've fitted one to our Polo. It has it's own light sensor, so doesn't talk the the cars original rain sensor, therefore doesn't put the headlights on with the auto wipers.
It was a demonstrator that we bought from the dealer 9 months old. Not aware of an after market auto switch.

The headlights definitely do not come on with the auto wipers.

In that case, there is an issue with your van. Maybe it's had a new windscreen. This has been known to cause problems with the light sensor.

I’m happy many new cars come with rears on always from the factory.
You’d have thought so, but the amount of cars I passed on a very wet drive to Wales last week showed that not only are DRL’s still mainly front-only programming on most cars, but that they either don’t switch over to dipped beams when it’s raining (or the driver has turned them from auto to manual).

@OldFaartQ You can safely leave your headlamp switch in the on position to ensure they always come on. This setting won’t drain your battery, unless you switch them off and then back on again once the ignition is off.

You’d have thought so, but the amount of cars I passed on a very wet drive to Wales last week showed that not only are DRL’s still mainly front-only programming on most cars, but that they either don’t switch over to dipped beams when it’s raining (or the driver has turned them from auto to manual).
The change would take years surely to make a visible effect even if mandated by regulation today, pun intended. But there’s some hope, Canada seems to be leading the way in this one:

Why don’t tail lights come on with daytime running lights?

Reactions: mmi
So today, heavy rain, lots of spray, and the lights still don't come on automatically. Hardly very sensitive!

4151D46A-45A2-472B-943F-6CCBA85DAE33.jpeg
As a comparison, on my drive to work yesterday morning i took this photo. Switch in Auto position the headlights were on.4151D46A-45A2-472B-943F-6CCBA85DAE33.jpeg

A neighbour with a 7.5 Golf came round the other day to ask if I'd check her tyres. The TPMS light had come on, so it was a simple check of the pressures and reset. Despite having Auto LED headlights, she had the switch set to off, blissfully unaware that she had Auto LED lights. I explained how they worked, but even so, I saw her driving in the rain yesterday with her side lights on.

As a comparison, on my drive to work yesterday morning i took this photo. Switch in Auto position the headlights were on.View attachment 132193
Mine would probably be on then too as it is darker.

@OldFaartQ You can safely leave your headlamp switch in the on position to ensure they always come on. This setting won’t drain your battery, unless you switch them off and then back on again once the ignition is off.
Don't know about your vehicle, but mine sounds an alarm if left on when the ignition is switched off.

You should be able to leave the switch in the dipped beam position for ever and a day. They will turn off with the ignition. The warning buzzer only sounds when you leave the side lights on.

The only problem with leaving the switch in the dipped position is the coming/leaving home lights won't work.

Back