Camping newbie

Saffa365

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi Guys

Need some help please , obviously my t6 beach day van build has gotten out of control to the point we would like to take it camping on weekends for short trips
There is 3 of us ( one 3yr old )
We have a poptop but will need more sleeping space , so the question is , do I get an infinity rear bed or just use an awning/tent to sleep in ? It’s a kombi pv conversion with 2+1 rear
Any advice welcome , would like to start getting kitted out ready for spring

As always , trying to go for a minimalist approach but comfortable

Much appreciated

Reactions: CAB
I think as soon as you bring a 3rd child or "grown-up won't leave home adult, you end up with so much extra stuff; a small drive-away awning is a godsend, if only just to dump all the extra stuff that comes along with them.

I'd be very inclined to get a cabbunk system. Either a single cot style one like this:

1674665135007.png

In my opinion excellent for a 3 year old right up until 11 or so, so plenty of years use out of it.

Folds really small and is quick to assemble.
Means the 3 yr old is in the van with you.. nice and safe. If you want to put them to bed early you could use a curtain to block off the cabin area from light?

Just my 2 cents worth.
Awnings are brilliant but it does mean someones outside the van comforts (diesel heater... noise and heat insulation etc...)

All great ideas , I rekon small attached awning to keep gear in , then rear bed incorporated into kombi seats seems the best solution to try first

I’m in the same situation, 2 adults and a 2 year old. I’ve got a Kombi Bed, Vango Kela Awning then i’m sorting 240v and 12v power and a diesel heater. I’ve been looking at the Van Cabin Airbeds that lukeadams mentioned above, i’ll go with one of those. I’ve fully sound deadened and insulated it already, once the power is done I’ll get it carpeted. Only thing I havn't got is a pop top but if the little one is sleeping in the cab area I doubt we’ll need one...

Second this - we found a pup tent essential.
Third this - we use a 2 person Decathlon '2 Seconds' pop up tent which has been up in some horrendous weather and kept all the miscellaneous stuff that we store in it perfectly dry, You can buy popup tents for £20 but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - ours was £60 a couple of years ago and worth every penny.

Third this - we use a 2 person Decathlon '2 Seconds' pop up tent which has been up in some horrendous weather and kept all the miscellaneous stuff that we store in it perfectly dry, You can buy popup tents for £20 but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - ours was £60 a couple of years ago and worth every penny.
Amazing how much you can get in a 2 person tent when there are zero people sleeping in it. :)

Just a little update
I bought a small double 5cm memory foam mattress/ topper .
This fits perfectly in the back , there is ample space in the back to sleep on the floor when everything is out , we can stretch our legs out under the double kombi seats if needed
( with the rubber floor mat and the luxury rugs for bugs mats it’s very comfortable) also very easy to roll up
So all that’s left is to get a barn door awning and a side awning then I rekon we close to being comfortable
Obviously one sleeps in poptop and the other with 3yr old in the rear

Simple but effective

Back