What tools do you carry?

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
So I am looking to put together a little toolkit for the van. It’s use is as a camper, so not used for work and I will not be doing any mechanical work to the van.

The toolkit is meant to be useful bits and bobs to adjust cupboards, seats or other fixings in the van, if needed, and to fix any of our camping gear that might need repairing.

So far i am building a list of things to consider and would welcome any suggestions from those that have been in the camper game longer than me... yes, it’s Saturday, I’m keeping out of the way and am bored...

—-

7-19mm Hand Tool Set Socket Wrench

Gorilla clear tape

Hozelock Indoor Round Tap Connector

Camping Shovel, Military Folding Survival Shovel, Entrenching Tool Portable for Camping

AmazonBasics Long Arm Ball End Hex Key Wrench Set with ColorGuard, 9 Pieces, 1.5mm - 10mm

Wera Tool-Check Plus Mini Bit Ratchet, Socket, Screwdriver & Bit Set

Dwt-Germany Pieces inside Fairing Assembly Disassembly Wedges Car Vehicle Padding Trim Wedge Clip Solver

Pliers (perhaps a mid-range multitool type) / adjustable wrench / hammer / simple circuit testers (12 and 240 v) / assorted spare fuses / spare wire / proper wheel wrench, maybe the extendable type, with a good quality socket, possibly a long one / wire stripper / head torch / disposable gloves / some sort of spray lube / assorted spare bulbs.

Something to keep them all in. Good post!

This is a useful little socket set. Halfords Professional range, with a lifetime guarantee. From 3.5mm to 14mm 1/4” drive and includes torx. Very well made too. About £25.

I’ve actually used it to change a battery for someone, and take the seats out once!

93EDCEE3-AFAE-4F21-9AD6-DA171F416E18.jpeg

Loving the 14 in 1 shovel. I’ve just realised I need a shovel that I can open a bottle with :rofl:

I’ve got a 14 in 1 hammer;)

I have a tool wrap with various screwdrivers, Stanley knife, snipe pliers etc and I’ve bought a tool bag to put all the bits and bobs in. Need to check what’s in it that’s not be mentioned yet

Torx bits, Stanley knife, HD Velcro, bottle jack plus small steel plate to stop it sinking in mud - standard VW jack is crap, fuses, self amalgamating tape, bulbs and superglue.
Many other items of course but those are the ones that I have needed to use when away from home.

Reactions: JOG
Out of interest, what tools for emergencies do you carry?

I have a noco gb70, tyre inflator and some basic bits and bobs - screwdrivers, pliers, multi tools, torch etc. Also have the original basic stuff supplied when new. Thinking about sticking a small socket set in there too.

I'm already carrying loads of bits around for family life so a few more bits will make no real difference

I doubt I'd be able to fix anything big but being able to do up something loose or similar when we're on a trip would be handy.

What do you guys carry?

Only today, I have taken my extendable wheel brace out of the car, and put it under the seat of the van. The car has run flats, no spare, and no inflation kit. So completely useless in there. Could be the lifesaver in the van, as I’ve split one of those tin wheel braces they give you, in the past on on old Caddy

A basic tool kit with all the usual stuff. I added a wheel brace recently for undoing tight wheel nuts, but the only things I have used are cable ties (on a campsite for securing a clothes line !) and a junior hacksaw to hack off one of the plastic undertray segments by the side of the road when it came partially detached.
Just thought of another use - I used a multimeter I carry to fault find the EHU on a Spanish campsite last year.

Pete

Think I need to add some cable ties into my tool bag now, i have most of the rest of the suggestions and I also carry a load of spare fuses, wires and various connectors

Back