What tools do you carry?

Have this set,

plus a universal socket, similar to this,

nothing heavy duty just for the odd adjustment - if needed.

a 240v plug in socket tester to check power and condition of EHU and van electrics are properly earthed

I would add bungee’s (Aldi often have a set in the middle isle in a pot with a screw lid) these saved our gazebo and wind brakes in recent trip! I also like some of the small spring clamps, useful for
Many things including hanging things to dry after above said storm!

Reactions: JOG
I jump started a completely dead Ford Ranger the other day and almost burnt out my jump leads. What capacity / sq mm jump cables are people using with good results?
I don’t really want to go down the lithium power pack route.

personally I've moved over to NOCO jump packs . .

But before then i used similar to these . . . in fact I've still got them in the back of the van for some reason . .(old habits ?)

5mtr and 2000A (so should be good for 600A no probs)

1610277220281.png

edit:

looks like they got a new set out now . . .

5mtr 3000A with copper clamps . . .

1610277419258.png

Reactions: DXX
playing in the van today, looking for somthing and throwing this about . . .

made me think of this thread . . .

1610479603656.png1610479614434.png1610479625535.png1610479648197.png

Pliers (perhaps a mid-range multitool type) / adjustable wrench / hammer / simple circuit testers (12 and 240 v) / assorted spare fuses / spare wire / proper wheel wrench, maybe the extendable type, with a good quality socket, possibly a long one / wire stripper / head torch / disposable gloves / some sort of spray lube / assorted spare bulbs.

Something to keep them all in. Good post!

I have a similar collection of small tools for most requirements of daily driving, all encased in a small leather pouch. Mainly old low value tools, but they still perform when you need 'em most. In the 80's & 90's when we were razzing about in Mk2's, my mates would take the P because I had (to them) a full 'RAC' boot. I've trimmed it back a bit now ;)

20210113_135954.jpg, 20210113_140244.jpg 20210113_140132.jpg

20210113_140132.jpg

I have a similar collection of small tools for most requirements of daily driving, all encased in a small leather pouch. Mainly old low value tools, but they still perform when you need 'em most. In the 80's & 90's when we were razzing about in Mk2's, my mates would take the P because I had (to them) a full 'RAC' boot. I've trimmed it back a bit now ;)

View attachment 98583, View attachment 98586 View attachment 98585

View attachment 98584
Former/current BT engineer?

@Paynewright. I like your approach. I do tend to carry more than that but very rarely use it as even your approach would already be stretching mechanical maintenance abilities - For me, the D in DIY is 'Destroy'.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
My late father was a telephone engineer in 50s and 60s then went onto exchange planning / upgrading. I have a lot of his GPO tools.

Looked on ebay for those leather cases and they fetch some money!!

My late father was a telephone engineer in 50s and 60s then went onto exchange planning / upgrading. I have a lot of his GPO tools.

Looked on ebay for those leather cases and they fetch some money!!
Oh yes!

A jack a wheel brace and my RAC card!

I used to have a full tool kit when I ran my minis as you never knew what going to go..and could actually fix things by the road side.

I guess you would be better of with a scanner these days but may as well leave it to the breakdown services as they can get parts on the go. (Audi TT coil pack springs to mind!)

AA membership card, phone :thumbsup:

I still have the same 81's, Lindströms, and number 1,2, & 3 from when I was a GPO apprentice around 1972 :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back