Campervan Policies - Courtesy Vehicle

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

Started a new thread as searching this doesn't seem to have been queried before...

Our Campervan is our only vehicle - thus if in an accident and in for repair we would need a replacement vehicle. Real worry is worst case scenario - a write-off - we'd be back to sourcing a replacement van and then booking in for conversion - last time convertor wait list was circa 3 months.

Last year we went with Adrian Flux - we were on holiday when we took the policy out (vehicle came quicker than expected) thus shopping around was a little tricky - hence just went with one the the well knowns. We simply assumed policy was like a Car - i.e. courtesy provided - but no doubting... I've looked at the AF policy and it's vague - normally I'm on the ball with these things...

It's renewal time again - started shopping around - looking at specific Campervan policies there is no real mention of Courtesy vehicle - so just wondered if people could advise what's what with their policies...

I've just got a reasonable quote from Shield Total Insurance - insurer is Ageas - if it's a non-fault claim you'd claim the costs back from the 3rd party. If it's a fault claim the only possible route is via Breakdown cover - maximum cost of £70 per day, maximum claim total £800.

Thanks in advance.

I'm insured with Camping and Caravan Club's Club Care Insurance - this used to be with ERS but was switched over to Ageas on renewal last year. According to the policy booklet https://www.clubcareinsurance.com/w...s/Clubcare-motorhome-Ageas-policy-wording.pdf :-

When we will provide a replacement car

We will provide a replacement car, from a company we choose, if you make a claim under section 2 of this policy and:

• you have comprehensive cover;

• the loss or damage happens in the United Kingdom;

• we accept your claim;

• your motorhome is being repaired by one of our partnership

repairers;

• you agree to keep to all the repair company’s conditions; and

• you are 25 years old or more at the time of the claim.

We provide the replacement car so you can still get about while your motorhome is being repaired.

Your entitlement to a replacement car will end:
  • when your motorhome has been repaired and is ready for you

to collect or for us to re-deliver to you; or

• after 28 days; whichever is soonest.

I'm insured with Camping and Caravan Club's Club Care Insurance - this used to be with ERS but was switched over to Ageas on renewal last year. According to the policy booklet https://www.clubcareinsurance.com/w...s/Clubcare-motorhome-Ageas-policy-wording.pdf :-

When we will provide a replacement car

We will provide a replacement car, from a company we choose, if you make a claim under section 2 of this policy and:

• you have comprehensive cover;

• the loss or damage happens in the United Kingdom;

• we accept your claim;

• your motorhome is being repaired by one of our partnership

repairers;

• you agree to keep to all the repair company’s conditions; and

• you are 25 years old or more at the time of the claim.

We provide the replacement car so you can still get about while your motorhome is being repaired.

Your entitlement to a replacement car will end:
  • when your motorhome has been repaired and is ready for you

to collect or for us to re-deliver to you; or

• after 28 days; whichever is soonest.

The CCC form is identical to the one I completed for Shield - both underwritten by Ageas - so same T&C's which initially looks promising - but the issue here is "your motorhome is being repaired by one of our partnership" - if worst case happened and vehicle was written off I would want to use the same conversion company for the replacement... Not sure Ageas would have a partnership facilitating campervan conversions anyway - so not sure what would happen...

Surely for a total loss they would just pay out not provide a replacement

Surely for a total loss they would just pay out not provide a replacement

Yep you're probably right - as its our only vehicle issue still remains whereby they pay out - I have 3 to 4 month wait for conversion - so would have to pay for hire vehicle at my cost if you get my drift - exactly same scenario if it was badly damaged but repairable - i'd want to use the conversion company I know and trust so if not using their partner again i'm out of pocket...

Perhaps i'm over thinking it - with a car its easy - replace or repair pretty quick - with a Camper as there's a long waiting list for good convertors it complicates things a fair bit. Or I just but a £200 run around to last a few weeks!

It looks like you simply get a CC if its repairable. Doubt you would get a courtesy car if it was written off but you might. Many ‘gauranteed hire’ products normally have a period attached to the policy ie ‘14 day gauranteed hire’.

As a rule of thumb most hire car providers only let you have it for circa 7 days after you have been paid out for a write off which means you could be without a vehicle whilst sourcing and waiting for conversion work to be undertaken. Shit I know but it happens.

It looks like you simply get a CC if its repairable. Doubt you would get a courtesy car if it was written off but you might. Many ‘gauranteed hire’ products normally have a period attached to the policy ie ‘14 day gauranteed hire’.

As a rule of thumb most hire car providers only let you have it for circa 7 days after you have been paid out for a write off which means you could be without a vehicle whilst sourcing and waiting for conversion work to be undertaken. not good I know but it happens.

Yes I think that's where we're at. The simple solution is to simply not have an accident in it - but this will make me even more paranoid and park even more in the space furthest possible away from any other vehicles... :rolleyes:

Yes I think that's where we're at. The simple solution is to simply not have an accident in it - but this will make me even more paranoid and park even more in the space furthest possible away from any other vehicles... :rolleyes:

I thought the same but after 12 months its been in 3 accidents, before that no claim in 15 years of driving. Sods law and all.

I thought the same but after 12 months its been in 3 accidents, before that no claim in 15 years of driving. Sods law and all.

Yikes, now that's bad luck.... No matter what things will happen, sometimes just have think there's worst things going on, but when it's your pride and joy it does hurt a lot.

Back