Should i be worried?

Garyf123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

As the title says really. I bought my converted camper (pop top, heating, hob, sink, solar panel, awning etc) in September 2022. I paid £45,000 for it. It is a 2020 T6 Highline with 9000 (now 11000) miles. I insured it with Adrian Flux and disclosed all modifications although they did not seem that interested and on the paperwork i received, despite it saying VW Transporter 'Motorhome', it only mentioned the solar panel as a modification! I emailed and asked if i had any reason to be worried as i have heard of other owners having claims for campers and only been paid out as panel vans. This is the reply i got. Again, should i be worried?

Dear Mr Fowler

Thank you for contacting us.

As mentioned previously, the Agreed Value request is optional but you can complete this during the policy term by submitting the photos and completing the Agreed Value form in the Agreed Value section on MyAdrianFlux, please find the difference between Market Value and an Agreed Value below.

Market Value
As we have not agreed the value of the vehicle prior to a claim, the payout will be subject to the findings of an insurance assessor who would inspect the damaged vehicle to assess the vehicle's value prior to the incident. In the event of a total loss claim, the value of the vehicle will be determined as the cost of replacing the vehicle, if this is possible, with one of a similar make, model, year mileage and condition. Typically, the amount shown on the insurance schedule indicates the maximum possible payout.

Agreed Value
An Agreed Value is the set amount you would be paid in the event of a total loss, after taking your policy excesses into a ccount. The Agreed Value is set once our in-house experts have evaluated your vehicle, typically after you have supplied us with photographs and an Agreed Value Request Form

As it's not a standard vehicle, there is no book value for it. Just like my Mk2 Golf, it needs the additional agreed value cover to make sure you get what you should if the worst happens.

Surely they will have you buy a goolies if you take the insurance out first and then try and set an agreed price as they will be able to put your premium up a huge amount or charge you a cancellation fee if you walk away?

As it's not a standard vehicle, there is no book value for it. Just like my Mk2 Golf, it needs the additional agreed value cover to make sure you get what you should if the worst happens.
Thanks. I want to do the agreed value option but i have just had new wheels/tyres and shocks/springs fitted. How will this affect it now as i have had it modified mid policy?

Surely they will have you buy a goolies if you take the insurance out first and then try and set an agreed price as they will be able to put your premium up a huge amount or charge you a cancellation fee if you walk away?
I don't know to be honest. The fee was £15.00 at time of taking out the policy but i don't see how this could change (apart from the fact that i have changed wheels/tyres, springs & shocks since then.)

Just looked at policy schedule and it states ' vehicle value including accessories and modifications £46000' Not sure how much trust i put in that though!

I wouldn't put any trust in that because unless you have 'agreed value' you'll only get market value for the van and the what will be secondhand additional declared parts without having to put up one hell of a fight.

Reactions: Bav
Call me naive but i declared all modifications and that it had been professionally converted before my purchase. They asked me what i paid and then quoted the premium. Surely the premium was reflective of the information disclosed, if not i should have just insured it as a panel van and got a cheaper premium. This would then have voided any claim as i had not disclosed all facts. Does it not work the other way round? I disclose all mods and pay the appropriate premium but they fail to inform me that they will only pay out the value of a standard panel van anyway?

@Garyf123
my experience with Adrian Flux seems ok phone up get a quote get asked if you want to have agreed valuation which for me was extra £75 get AV paperwork fill it out send back pictures and invoices as well you tell them what you think its worth converted I've only been knocked back on my own valuation once and the was only a grand less that was before covid since then its always gone up so in reality 2018 van market value 18k agreed valuation 42k

When you hear ‘ all calls will be monitored and recorded for training purposes’ I suggest you do the same.
The insurance business exists to make a profit and isn’t too fussy how it does it.

@Garyf123
my experience with Adrian Flux seems ok phone up get a quote get asked if you want to have agreed valuation which for me was extra £75 get AV paperwork fill it out send back pictures and invoices as well you tell them what you think its worth converted I've only been knocked back on my own valuation once and the was only a grand less that was before covid since then its always gone up so in reality 2018 van market value 18k agreed valuation 42k
The issue is I was never asked if I wanted AV at the time, only after I had paid the premium and been sent the paperwork. I assumed as I had disclosed everything including price paid, the premium would be based on that.

The issue is I was never asked if I wanted AV at the time, only after I had paid the premium and been sent the paperwork. I assumed as I had disclosed everything including price paid, the premium would be based on that.
If you don't ask, they won't offer. It'd be akin to them asking: "Do you want to be fully covered for a little more £, or do you want this cheaper cover where you'll be shafted when your van's written-off?"

@dubber36 I have just read my comment again and would like to apologise as it made out I was calling you a liar what I meant was my van AV has always been £75
No need. It never even registered as anything remotely untoward.

What did think was maybe campers are classed different to cars, or maybe it goes up in price bands? A camper will have a much higher value than my car.

Hi. Just jumping on the thread as a recent experience of this. Insured with A-Plan, underwritten by others. My van was half converted. 50k on clock 66 plate. Got hit from behind, my pride and joy deemed a total loss. Gutted. Massive spec upgrades externally and internally just not fully done in the back so not “deemed a camper” by the engineer on his total loss report . Anyways - no AV set but I said van worth 25k when taking policy out. First offer 14.9k… I’ve just settled on 25k…just secured a new van, all I can say is I will do AV next time … A Plan we’re ok tbh with the advice and help… I got there in the end but it took 4 months of fighting for it, worry and hassle for it with no courtesy vehicle as “there was a lack of them in the country” hope this helps anyone reading it … all I’ll say is … if you are ever unfortunate enough to experience this - fight for what you deserve until the end :)

Hi. Just jumping on the thread as a recent experience of this. Insured with A-Plan, underwritten by others. My van was half converted. 50k on clock 66 plate. Got hit from behind, my pride and joy deemed a total loss. Gutted. Massive spec upgrades externally and internally just not fully done in the back so not “deemed a camper” by the engineer on his total loss report . Anyways - no AV set but I said van worth 25k when taking policy out. First offer 14.9k… I’ve just settled on 25k…just secured a new van, all I can say is I will do AV next time … A Plan we’re ok tbh with the advice and help… I got there in the end but it took 4 months of fighting for it, worry and hassle for it with no courtesy vehicle as “there was a lack of them in the country” hope this helps anyone reading it … all I’ll say is … if you are ever unfortunate enough to experience this - fight for what you deserve until the end :)
I’ll be taking Admiral insurance to the financial ombudsman if they don’t give me market valve for my Mitsubishi Outlander… nearly £2000 less than what it would cost to replace it from a independent dealer on autotrader.

Back