Camper Engine - Size Matters?

I had a t5.1 140 and found that under powered so had It mapped it then felt how I thought it would be from the factory
I did rent a 102 for about 4 months it was ok but a bit basic I’ve not driven a 84 so can’t comment
My advice is buy the biggest engine you can afford especially if converting to a camper and adding much more weight

What goes fast can also go slow.
What goes slow cannot go fast.
Its good to have options.

I also frequent a Golf GTI/R forum. Some say their other halves won't drive the Golf as it's "too fast". It's only as fast as you make it go.

I think a lot of it is down to the style & purpose of a van. An 'A-Team' replica or a phatt, lowered, sparkly wheelarch-extended piece of bling needs some oomph to suit the style and to attract admiration from onlookers with screechy tyres and rubber-smoke, whereas a campervan is a campervan :)

I think a lot of it is down to the style & purpose of a van. An 'A-Team' replica or a phatt, lowered, sparkly wheelarch-extended piece of bling needs some oomph to suit the style and to attract admiration from onlookers with screechy tyres and rubber-smoke, whereas a campervan is a campervan :)
But I get excited when I'm going camping and want to get there quickly.:grin bounce:

Last edited:
Having driven down to Bournemouth for the New Year 2,500rpm is 70mph and 80mph appears at 3,000rpm on our 102hp 5 speed camper, according to the clocks engine melt down occurs at 5,000rpm!

Reactions: KR.
I’ve got a DSG 204 2017.

Recently it’s been into VW Liverpool for a new front seat and I was given a hire T6 on both occasions, they put me in a T6 102 manual the difference was night and day.

I couldn’t help but feel that if I had a 102 manual I wouldn’t feel much for the van as a standard day to day as I use mine currently not would I be happy spending so much on one, I must say that the drive and feel when back in my own was truly appreciated, nothing against 102 manual at all I guess it’s just what you get used.

It made me appreciate spending a little more when deciding my purchase.

Joe.

As a very regular user of the A9 and roads heading to the west coast, I would not want anything less than my 150. You will never manage to pass slow vehicles like towed caravans or lorries and you will struggle with some of the hills. My 150 is a 4motion Kombi usually with almost nothing in it, so probably lighter than a camper

Pal of mine had a 102 and reckoned it was just fine. Funnily enough, when he changed it he bought the 150. We test drove a 150 - we bought a 204. Just sayin'

However, I expect a 150 (even with a heavy conversion) would be perfectly adequate. The roads are so clogged these days that much of the time you're stuck at 50'ish and can't get an overtake.

My daily drive has around 260PS but for the sort of driving I want from a camper, I find that our 150 manual has plenty enough power for hills and fast (ish) cruising - indeed, I was surprised at how quick it was when I first got it. My only issue is not the van's fault but mine as it's the first manual that I have driven for a lot of years and it took a bit of adjusting to (still does!). I'll also add that when we were first searching for the camper, I instinctively shied away from anything with a 5 speed box which ruled out a 102 straight away. I also suspect that I would have stayed away from a 102 even if it had been available in 6 speed!

A change of plans now means I'm getting the same conversion but on a 102, so returning to what I previously had and clocked up over 30,000 miles with around the Highlands in just over 2 and a half years. I know the A82 and the A9 more than I care to admit and never had any problems overtaking anything with a 102. I've no doubt stronger engines would be even better but I'm more than happy with a 102.

Thanks for the input gents - I think we get used to what we've got and drive it accordingly - mind you a 6th gear would be nice.

Thread from the dead renewal time as I'm in a feisty argumentative mood.

I've not actually had a proper head to head race with another T6 on the open road so can't really say how incredibly fast a full fat 204 hp T6 would be compared to my modest 102 however I have a sneaking suspicion that as they're both a bit/lot lardy, that the perceived difference will be more psychological than real.

Case in point and both vans power along the M1 or M6 at 70mph, my lane will crawl forwards for a while until blocked by an overtaking truck and his lane will then be blocked a second later by another truck overtaking these first two leaving only the outside lane clear which as we all know is reserved for Mercedes and Audi drivers only... so back on topic and outside of internet forums and pre Covid pub bragging sessions where is this 100 hp going to make much if any of a difference?

Hang on that was a rant but you get my drift, 100hp makes a reasonable difference on a motorbike but not nearly so much on a near 3 ton van, as for a 6th gear or the lack of one, 80mph occurs at 3,000 rpm in 5th gear on a 5 speed box which unless the engine is made from cheese means those pistons won't actually melt and your warranty should be safe.

My typing finger hurts now.

I've not actually had a proper head to head race with another T6 on the open road so can't really say how incredibly fast a full fat 204 hp T6 would be compared to my modest 102 however I have a sneaking suspicion that as they're both a bit/lot lardy, that the perceived difference will be more psychological than real.
The law of diminishing returns!
Plenty of 100hp cars will do 100mph, but I don't know of any 200hp cars that will do 200mph.

Wouldn’t the 204 get to 70mph quicker than the 102 and therefore render the above scenario nothing but a surrealist dream?

I think the 6 speed box is more important. I have a 5.1 140 Beach, which is fine fully loaded with 7 people and all equipment for our yearly week long ski trip to a chalet in the Alps. When having the roof rot repair done, I was given a T6 Caravelle 102 5 speed for a month. The 102 was actually quicker pulling away in 1st because it's lighter than the California and geared lower, but the 102 was at nearly 3000 rpm at 120 kph, while the 140 is at 2000rpm. The difference was night and day.

Last edited:
Obviously there is a difference in performance and @DXX that 1/4 mile had more to do with me being blocked in by that three truck wide chariot race scenario and the coach load of OAPs in the Audi/Mercedes only lane... another day and you might have seen me hurtling under those same overhead gantries at 80 plus mph and getting an award for such blistering performance, yes from a 102hp motor!

@clarinetbcn 7 people and all their gear, followed by 74mph at 2,000 rpm, is this a childrens ski holiday as your 140 Beach can pull a possibly 4 ton load at 2,000 rpm up an alpine pass with the turbo barely on boost?

@Ian28 Have you not heard of binoculars, I would still be able to see you on a clear day if it wasn't too hilly or always raining on the M8.:sneaky:

Thank you @DaveD, with our serious heads on we all know that a 200hp car is sneered at these days as being average and they weigh a lot less than a T6 and are generally a lot more aerodynamic but incredibly in this modern smart road network of ours with Gatso, specs and ANPR cameras and a recognised points award system you can find that a mere 102hp will get you all sorts of points and awards if you squeeze hard enough.:thumbsup:

Had to edit my reply to @clarinetbcn after re reading his post... yes I thought he had put 140kph and I got so close to calling bozwellox on that one... anyway I've got to write some more scripts for The Lincoln Project now.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... according to VW spec 204 is approx. 15% thirstier than 102 so needs more frequent fill-ups - would need bigger fuel tank to keep up with 102? :geek:

120 kph = 72mph. @Stay Frosty thanks for editing your post to reflect that it's not 86mph. 7 adults with skis and luggage. Autopilot set and forget on autoroutes unless I need to downshift to 5th on a steep hill. About 50% of the time my van gets used for outings with my mountain group with 7 adults and all their equipment, which is why I got a Beach instead of an Ocean. I used the 102 for a month with 2 adults, 2 bikes inside and the 3rd row bench removed. The main difference was the noise level at 3000rpm compared to 2000 rpm.

Last edited:
Back