Camper Conversion inspections

ajm

Hi, new member starting from a low knowledge base, so bear with me.

I was wondering if any companies offer camper van conversion inspection - i.e. that the conversion itself has been done well, as well as the base vehicle being sound.

I have seen a brand new conversion of a used van for sale at a car dealer, so I'm one removed from who has done the work and so would want some assurance it has been done well.

Also, any good experiences with conversion companies in or near Sheffield appreciated.

Thank you

Can’t answer that question specifically @ajm but what I have found is that some insurance companies will only insure campers which have been converted by recognised professional convertors on their list.

Clearly they are loads on people who do their own conversions and get insurance, so it’s most definitely not a showstopper, but one to be aware of.

Reactions: DXX
Thanks @Ozi - I'll make sure whatever way I jump I do insurance quotes before buying. Good advice.
I bought mine from a reputable known converter (although it wasn't done by them; it was done by another company branching out into it who are known to the company I bought it from) When i got my insurance quote they asked for the converters name, which obviously wasn't on the list. After sending them the photos etc, they then added the name to their approved list. Out of the companies I got quotes from, there was only the one insurer who wanted to know the converters company name.

Reactions: ajm
My wife and I bought our van and had it converted by a company we had previously rented a van from. We were very impressed with the rental and have been very pleased with our conversion! I would strongly recommend renting a couple of vans from different converters to get a feel for whats good (or not) the first van we hired told us a great deal about what we did not want!!
I have never had an insurance company ask for the converters name so far.

Reactions: ajm
My wife and I bought our van and had it converted by a company we had previously rented a van from. We were very impressed with the rental and have been very pleased with our conversion! I would strongly recommend renting a couple of vans from different converters to get a feel for whats good (or not) the first van we hired told us a great deal about what we did not want!!
I have never had an insurance company ask for the converters name so far.
This is a great idea, thanks.

Hey everyone. Apologies if this has been covered before and thanks in advance for the help.…

I’m looking at buying a used already converted t6 camper.

It’s quite away from where I live so I need someone to go and inspect it for me.

Has anyone got any recommendations? Thanks so much

I’ve found this chap. Does anyone have any experience with him ?

Thanks !

Malcolm J Cronin
Automotive Engineer
National Vehicle Inspections

Is there an advert you can link to - you may get some advice from members here from that, as a start.

Pete
I cant get the link to work. It may have been taken down now. So sorry. I’m a little covid fogged tbh

out of interest what does he charge compared to say the RAC, does he have any specific experience of Transporters and conversions. How old are the vans you are looking at; if they are still in warranty and have been serviced properly the van may be less of an issue than the conversion. If the van is less than 6 years old but out of warranty you could go for the extended warranty and ask the seller to take it to VW for the required check, this would throw up any obvious faults. I think you need to find out which company did the conversion and research them - the more info you post the more help you will get from the clever people on here

Back