Cake And Eat It.....

phildorman

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi to everyone for the first time!

I’m currently driving a Ford Galaxy Titanium X, but I’ve made the decision to move to a Transporter when I see the right one.

We are a family of four who live cycling, camping and caravanning.

I’m keen to have an 8 seater Transporter that I can use as a car with a huge boot, but then I can use as a campervan should the need arise.

My wish list is:
Swivel front seats.
Double bed that can be removed after the weekend away
Removable stove/Fridge/sink after the weekend away
Washable floor
Insulated
Electrics installed
Lights installed

Is this sort of setup even feasible? I’ll be honest and say I know very little about the VW Transporter, hence my post to seek everyone’s wisdom.

I should say I may do this in stages, and the order of work would also be really helpful.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,
I guess you need a Shuttle; 2 front, 2+1 middle and triple rear row. If you have a family of 4 you will need a roof bed (pop top) unless 2 will be sleeping in a tent / awning. LWB will give you an extra 0.6m in length over a SWB which might be of use as having removable furniture pods you won’t have as much storage space as a van with fixed furniture.
The best front seat swivel option is 2x single captains seats.
Removable beds and furniture pods are available from converters or build your own but they should be correctly secured to the van floor.
If converting on a gradual basis the roof should be done first but you may find there are a limited number of converters who will just do the roof.
Lining (insulation), electrics inc lighting and floor would normally be done at the same time.
If you want to carry 4 bikes a tailgate mounted bike rack is probably the best option, the gas struts on the tailgate are replaced to enable opening with some additional weight. That said I think opening the tailgate with all 4 bikes in place might be difficult.
Quality converters generally have a long waiting time, I believe the same applies for the supply of LWB roofs. I’d enquire with a few reputable conversion companies and get their opinions / quotes.
Given the amount of money you are likely to spend I personally wouldn’t limit the converters to your local area, if the best option is local it’s a bonus.

Hi and welcome!

I think you'll find a lot of people use transporters for multiple tasks as you plan to so don't worry about having your cake and eating it. That's why we all love transporters!

I have a Caravelle that I'm slowly turning into a lite camper but I also want the utility to be able to use it as a 'car' when required so like you, I need it to be modular. Have a look at slidepods & Ququq.

Last edited:
If you get a lwb shuttle as dxx suggested, you can get a bed option from 40 winks, it stands approximately 3 feet high in the van and utilizes the middle row of seats kn their folded position to make a bed. Then you also have storage beneath. With the seat in its upright position it serves as a heavy duty parcel shelf. Its easily removable too. Im about to order one for mine. They seem a bit pricey mind, but they also appear well built and designed.

If you get a lwb shuttle as dxx suggested, you can get a bed option from 40 winks, it stands approximately 3 feet high in the van and utilizes the middle row of seats kn their folded position to make a bed. Then you also have storage beneath. With the seat in its upright position it serves as a heavy duty parcel shelf. Its easily removable too. Im about to order one for mine. They seem a bit pricey mind, but they also appear well built and designed.
Hi @Phils shuttle
I'll be taking my forty winks bed out so I can do the full conversion with a fixed RIB in the back.
Cheers Stew

Back