Buying A Shuttle

raggedmike

hello, I am looking to buy a new shuttle, why do VW make it so difficult to find information.

Can anyone help, how many different models are there?

Is it M1 on the logbook?

Would you get manual or automatic, which is best mpg?

Has anyone used vanarama, any comments appreciated?

thanks

Mike

Shuttles are M1 so come with M1 advantages. ie car speed limits. Class 4 MoT. Think they maybe cheaper on tax but best to check that one.

Would recommend SE spec so that you get 3 zone climate control. If it's still not standard spec, reversing camera or sensors need ticked on the options list as an essential in my view.

Love my DSG box buts it's down to personal preference. I'm light footed and generally drive for mechanical sympathy. Mix of town and motorway driving. Average 34 mpg with a 150bhp DSG LWB. Now a camper but probably a little heavier in weight as to when it was a Shuttle with all 9 seats in place.

How do you know when buying a second hand Caravelle if it’s over 40k or not. Just check the tax before ?

I have decided it’s time to upgrade my 25 year old T4 Caravelle. I’ve been looking at ULEV compliment T6 Shuttles (2016 onwards), I have 4 children and it will be used mainly as a family car with trips to France and Scotland and some camping.

Budget wise it seems that my main option is a 102 and either an S or SE (The ads don’t seem to mention other trim options eg Trendline). Budget wise i have seen low mileage examples for between £18 and £20k.

My questions are;

Is the 102 engine sufficient (not too worried about speed but needs to be fairly decent on motorways). don’t forget I’m used to a t4 2 ltr petrol!

Are Parking sensors and air con options?

Are sliding windows on the sliding doors an aftermarket addition.

I have been looking on line and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole.

Many thanks

Mark

I have decided it’s time to upgrade my 25 year old T4 Caravelle. I’ve been looking at ULEV compliment T6 Shuttles (2016 onwards), I have 4 children and it will be used mainly as a family car with trips to France and Scotland and some camping.

Budget wise it seems that my main option is a 102 and either an S or SE (The ads don’t seem to mention other trim options eg Trendline). Budget wise i have seen low mileage examples for between £18 and £20k.

My questions are;

Is the 102 engine sufficient (not too worried about speed but needs to be fairly decent on motorways). don’t forget I’m used to a t4 2 ltr petrol!

Are Parking sensors and air con options?

Are sliding windows on the sliding doors an aftermarket addition.

I have been looking on line and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole.

Many thanks

Mark

I’ve got a 2016 Shuttle SE 150ps. Personally I wouldn’t go for the 102ps but then I do plan to run mine at MGW a few times a year on camping trips, 3 growing kids plus 5 bikes plus air tent makes it a heavy excursion. I prefer to have an engine that can cope easily rather than thrashing it all the way. We camp in France each year so want to be able to drive at 130km/h comfortably to cut down the long journey time.

There are many others on here with 102ps camper conversions which will be heavy and they are happy though. The big advantage with the 102ps is clearly price, from my months of watching on Autotrader they seem to be about £2k cheaper than a similar mileage 150ps.

To answer your other questions:
Get one with aircon, retrofitting is not a realistic option.

Mine came without parking sensors, I got some colour coded after market sensors fitted by the garage that I bought from, they said it was £300 but did it for free. They work well and look good, it’s only people on this forum that would be able to spot externally that they are not factory fitted!

Shuttles do not have sliding windows as standard, if you want that you will need to retrofit.

Thanks for the response. I think air con is a must as we do travel to the South of France. We could fit aftermarket parking sensors if required.
As for the windows I could see how we get on but I think my eldest daughter would struggle without fresh air

I saw a Jan 2019 102 S with12000 miles for £19k which looked good value.

Do you know the difference between the S and SE version.

Thank you for helping

Never heard of an S or an SE model - do you have a link ?

Pete

Never heard of an S or an SE model - do you have a link ?

Pete
I’m guessing the S and SE thing is just for a Shuttles. Have a look in the download section, the 2017 price list shows the differences, main extra things on the SE are:

Extra carpet in the cab area
Semi automatic climatic control
Colour coded bumpers and wing mirrors
Driver Alert as standard

I’m guessing the S and SE thing is just for a Shuttles. Have a look in the download section, the 2017 price list shows the differences, main extra things on the SE are:

Extra carpet in the cab area
Semi automatic climatic control
Colour coded bumpers and wing mirrors
Driver Alert as standard
Thank you. Do you know if air con is standard on both S and SE models? When I get a moment I will check the download section

Sorry, I don’t know. All sorts of things can be specified during vehicle build, when I was looking for mine I just looked at the internal photos in detail to see what the vehicle was fitted with and selected mine based on what I saw.

Good luck with your search!

BTW you need to be a VIP member to view the download section. I signed up to be a VIP member within a couple of weeks of joining this forum, you will not find a more helpful and knowledgeable bunch for the T6 than on here.

I have a DSG 150 lwb shuttle SE for sale. Little bit more than you want to spend but always up for a deal.

Wrote some info at end of this thread about specs and advantages of a Shuttle. As mentioned above, worth studying the brochures available if you sign up to VIP membership.

But in short S and SE spec dont follow Startline, Trendline, Highline specs. Somethings missed out.

But 40 quid will get you a suitable reversing camera. Fitted an Auto-Vox M1 camera on mine without issue.

Last edited:
Back