Bumper protector

JDC

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all. I found out last night my barn door has been rubbing/catching on my rear bumper protector. This has caused the paint to flake off on the very bottom edge and pretty much central of the door. The protecter has some ridges on it and was on the van when I bought it. Not sure if it's worth trying to get it off or try and adjust the bumper, probably by jumping up and down on it.:think smile bounce:

I was warned of that issue after fitting an aluminium check-plate bumper protector to my van, When I checked, I could see that, yes it was started to rub slightly on the bottom of the tailgate. A bit annoying as I imagine it is a pain to unstick one once fitted. So I got the Dremel out and ground down the ridges that looked close enough to maybe rub.

Reactions: JDC
I was warned of that issue after fitting an aluminium check-plate bumper protector to my van, When I checked, I could see that, yes it was started to rub slightly on the bottom of the tailgate. A bit annoying as I imagine it is a pain to unstick one once fitted. So I got the Dremel out and ground down the ridges that looked close enough to maybe rub.
Yeah that was my thought, trying to remove it would open an other can of worms like peeling paint off the bumper!!! I think grounding it down sounds a good shout. Got no dremil, so a grinder will have to do. Any adjustment on the bumper maybe???

Should try these basically a sticker supplied with fitting kit easy to fit and clean and replace if needed.
Had one on my polo for years so bought in one to fit T6.

Should try these basically a sticker supplied with fitting kit easy to fit and clean and replace if needed.
Had one on my polo for years so bought in one to fit T6.
Looks good but I need to get the exsisting one off first.

Thanks @DXX but I have a tailgate on my kombi. Would there be one for that do you think????
I doubt it. If the rear bumper has ever been removed it is quite easy to refit it incorrectly and loose the clearance between the tailgate.

I doubt it. If the rear bumper has ever been removed it is quite easy to refit it incorrectly and loose the clearance between the tailgate.
I'll have a look. It's not got a tow bar as I've got under and had a look and still appear to have the inserts in the bumper. I'll check the alignment of the bumper and probably remove the protecter as well to be on the safe side, and get one of them flat stickers from earlier on the thread. And see if I can touch up where the paint has rubbed of.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how I get on. Hoping to try and do it on Sunday depending on the weather and work.

Do they stick flat? As in have no ridges, like the ones I posted?

Yes flat no ridges.. to stick you lightly spray the bumper with a mild water and washing up liquid mix place the sticker it moves easily to set in perfect location then apply light pressure get rid of any air bubbles and dry it I used a microfibre cloth.
Leave to dry that's it...to remove use a hair dryer to warm it up and peel off.

Thanks @DXX but I have a tailgate on my kombi. Would there be one for that do you think????
@JDC , I had the same issue with my tailgate after fitting a ridged bumper protector.

I took a rubber strip from an old set of car roofbars and wedged it in where top of bumper meets the van, so as to push down the leading edge of bumper a little; it does the job perfectly, and you would not know it was there. :thumbsup:

Edit: photos added
Screenshot_20230119-083146_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230119-083211_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
@JDC , I had the same issue with my tailgate after fitting a ridged bumper protector.

I took a rubber strip from an old set of car roofbars and wedged it in where top of bumper meets the van, so as to push down the leading edge of bumper a little; it does the job perfectly, and you would not know it was there. :thumbsup:

Edit: photos added
View attachment 185385

View attachment 185386
Yeah that's the one I have. I might see if I've a bit if plastic or rubber to try it before I can get round to removing it. Cheers.

Back