gap between tailgate and bumper

marsie

Sold up
VIP Member
T6 Pro
My new to me t6 has come with a bumper protection trim but there is little or no gap when the tailgate is down. I don't want to fit the trim and then find its rubbing all the paint off the lower edge of the tailgate. Is there a way to somehow increase the gap?
TIA
Paul

You can raise the tailgate up on the hinges at the top but if you do you’ll find that the panel lines around the van will no longer line up.

got a few pics?

the `bumper protector trim` is normally stuck down with double sided pads. . .

maybe take it off and swap the pads for some double sided tape? - thats thinner?

I've got the same problem/question. My bumper protection strip, which isn't particularly thick, still touches the lower edge of the tailgate when closed, albeit very lightly. After a few thousand miles there's definitely signs that it's rubbing away the lacquer in places. Anyway to drop the bumper level slightly? Otherwise I think I'll have to remove my existing strip and get something a lot thinner.

Could be that the bumper has been hit at some point. I had this problem with my T5 and when I removed the bumper the metal bracket underneath had been bent.

Reactions: DXX
Screenshot_20230123-172054_Samsung Internet.jpgI asked the same the other day. The paint on my tailgate has started to come away. Hopefully I can have a good a look at the weekend and try and sort it. Someone said to grind the ridges off or to take it off completely then use a thin film protecter for the bumper.

have got several vans / kombis at work here that the same has happened
all have had tow bars fitted, and thats when the issue started
none were factory tow bars / removable?
dont know if that helps,

By the sounds of it,it appears the ridges are just to big. I've been leaning on the bumper hoping it goes down a bit as I think the useless neighbours probably bumped it as they can't park their car.

My gap with the VW Carbon protector with VHB trim tape, no towbar.
1674639809588.png

have got several vans / kombis at work here that the same has happened
all have had tow bars fitted, and thats when the issue started
none were factory tow bars / removable?
dont know if that helps,
I have a Westfalia removable tow bar and come to think of it the tailgate running on the bumper started after the tow bar was fitted.

Anyone help here?

Back