Bulkhead bracket removal

@Sean Proctor
I'm just in the process of doing this myself

It seems the method is, remove seats (better access) remove plastics and seat belts on pillars, I think the side strip is spot welded, so a spot weld drill attachment should sort that.
The bottom strip on the floor has blobs of weld in various places along the strip, this could be tackled in a few ways but I think a 1mm grinding disc with a steady hand and lots of protection from sparks !! another reason to remove the seats.
I'm still plucking up the courage to use a grinder on my new floor !! but will give it a go soon as I need to fit a seat swivel and it wont spin without it removed.

Yes, we've done this hundreds and hundreds of times!!
If you have a double seat just undo floor bolts and tip it forward. If single passenger just adjust forward.
Remove B pillar trims and roof strip cab side, unbolt bulkhead.
The top side brackets are just bolted.
Lower sides need drilling off with spot weld drill, don't go all the way through, just enough to weaken weld then waggle off the bracket.
Be careful around the seatbelts , in particular the seatbelt pretensioners!!
Use cutting disc on the 1 inch or so welds (approx 5 or 6 or them) across the floor.
Protect everything in advance, and paint any bare metal afterwards.

In reference to seatbelt pretensioners, be careful if using a hammer/bolster in the area to break any stubborn welds or spot welds, as potential to set things off if too exuberant!:eek:

IMG_2717.JPG Someone put a post up the other day asking what was the best tool for this job, I found that the oscillating saw was great as good for access and also does not cause any sparks like a grinder does and makes a very neat cut flush with floor just needs a touch of paint afterwards

This is my job for the weekend...thanks to this thread, I now know what to expect! Is this video any good on spot welds?

Last edited:
My bulkhead had already been removed when I got the van. What’s the best way to remove this final part of the surrounding metal trim.?

38331801-248A-42A4-A63F-6061B7D552FA.jpeg

7459BEDA-91F8-479B-A160-91B1AA81A5EA.jpeg

Take the b-pillar trim off and then if I remember correctly there are a couple of nuts at the top and the rest is a few spot welds that I drilled out. (Put a depth thing on your drill to stop you hitting the outer skin-you only need to just go through the weld.
The one across the base of the van unfortunately requires the services of an angle grinder. Take out seats and bases and floor mat etc then cover everything in the cab-dash, windscreen windows etc. I think I hung a really thick blanket from the roof lining and gaffer taped it down the sides of the van. Also sheid behind into the rear of the van. I think I just placed a cardboard box where I was working.
Sounds a nightmare, but it’s pretty easy. Trim comes off easy as do the seats. Hang a blanket and away you go.

Great, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated
There’s a How To video on the Kiravans site if you need it.

There’s a How To video on the Kiravans site if you need it.

All that angle grinder work for those three welds looks a bit mad. A big drill bit just took enough of the weld off to break the fixing to the b pillar.

My van came as a panel van with a bulkhead. I’ve now removed the bulk head and have been left with the B pillar and floor supports for it. The B pillar supports aren’t an issue to remove but the floor support is more so, requiring a little grinder work after a strip out.
Has anybody left this lip in and if so what did you do to ‘hide’ it? Or do I already know the answer - cut it out?!

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

We cut it out and hid what‘s left with a standard carpet/vinyl trim strip.
Haven’t got round to removing the B pillar support (5 years and waiting :) )

Pete

Thanks Pete. Did you grind the welds away (after stripping out the front seats and peeling the rubber back) or just barrier against sparks and cut the trim low down?

The seats were out anyway I think, so just rolled things out the way and protected stuff. I seem to recall we used a small chisel a fair bit to avoid over use of the grinder.
I also seem to recall that Kiravans had a guide on how to do this.

Pete

I didn’t bother with a grinder, just made a number of small cuts then wiggled back and forth and let metal fatigue do it’s job, the rear rubber mat covers the welds

I didn’t bother with a grinder, just made a number of small cuts then wiggled back and forth and let metal fatigue do it’s job, the rear rubber mat covers the welds
Small cuts with tin snips? I’m not looking for a short cut as such, I just know that it’s pretty much going to be covered anyway!
Thanks.

Back