Bulkhead install

007jay

I have seen various threads on bulkhead removal but not much on replacement in a van.
I have the T6.1 van with the passenger double bench seat. I am 6'3" and my seat position is not ideal but manageable. I have several trips a year planned where my passenger (only one) will be sitting in the passenger seat for up to 9hrs at a time. After some digging on here I purchased and installed the Vankraft bracket with the extra 10⁰ which gives an acceptable level of comfort I hope. (BTW the Vankraft bracket works well, I can't fault their service and quality) The only issue is I had to temporarily remove the bulkhead to fit it. This also gave me the benefit of being able to move the drivers seat back slightly. Now I am comfortable.
I still want the bulkhead though. I like the Motexion bulkheads but am reading they are for vans that were manufactured without a bulkhead. I think I understand the difference in fixing where OEM bulkhead attaches to additional welded brackets and the Motexion style bulkheads have side fixings because there are no additional brackets. I don't want to do the bracket delete.
After studying some pictures of the Motexion bulkhead and before contacting them I am wondering if.....
1. can I cut off the in turned edges and screw this bulkhead to my original brackets?
2. Will the Motexion bulkhead give me the same extra room needed for the extra 10⁰. Pictures seem to suggest maybe?

In the meantime I have temporarily fitted the bulkhead back partly with a method someone on here mentioned where they used long nuts. I did some 3D printing to make some infill blocks. All temporary at present. The bottom of the bulkhead is not spaced and joins to the original position with the panel slowly angled away. If I continue with this method I will probably make some one piece long nuts myself as I am not keen on joining several.

20240210_172819.jpg20240210_172606.jpg20240210_162248.jpg20240210_162230.jpg20240210_162240.jpgCapture.JPG

Last edited:
I'm 6"2 so I feel your struggle.

My van came with a bust Motexion windowless bulkhead so that got ripped out and replaced with the upper part of the OEM metal bulkhead. I need some sort of bulkhead due to wanting my tools and equipment in the back being out of view and harder to access.

I had intended to replace it with a windowed Motexion bulkhead (and bought one too) but I've stuck with the upper metal part for now as my plans changed and will be fitting Kombi seats with the Kombi Motexion windowed middle bulkhead instead.

The motexion bulkhead does afford more room from what I remember of the bust one being in place. I can't alter the position of my metal bulkhead as I have Bott racking directly behind my seat, I'm jealous!

I'm 6"2 so I feel your struggle.

My van came with a bust Motexion windowless bulkhead so that got ripped out and replaced with the upper part of the OEM metal bulkhead. I need some sort of bulkhead due to wanting my tools and equipment in the back being out of view and harder to access.

I had intended to replace it with a windowed Motexion bulkhead (and bought one too) but I've stuck with the upper metal part for now as my plans changed and will be fitting Kombi seats with the Kombi Motexion windowed middle bulkhead instead.

The motexion bulkhead does afford more room from what I remember of the bust one being in place. I can't alter the position of my metal bulkhead as I have Bott racking directly behind my seat, I'm jealous!
That is interesting about you having a motexion and replacing it with the OEM. All the info I can see on the motexion shows it being fitted to a van that wasn't built with the bulkhead option as they don't have the extra mounting flange around the floor and sides. I've seen pics of the sides of the motexion where you screw it into the sides of the cab. The steel OEM style screws from the back to those brackets. How was the broken one attached?
Ideally i don't want to grind off the lower brackets so if they use the same mounting solution as the steel OEM I would consider using a motexion. I would just need to get measurements of depth to accommodate my new recline position.

Screenshot_20240213_220149_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_220053_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_215627_Chrome.jpg

That is interesting about you having a motexion and replacing it with the OEM. All the info I can see on the motexion shows it being fitted to a van that wasn't built with the bulkhead option as they don't have the extra mounting flange around the floor and sides. I've seen pics of the sides of the motexion where you screw it into the sides of the cab. The steel OEM style screws from the back to those brackets. How was the broken one attached?
Ideally i don't want to grind off the lower brackets so if they use the same mounting solution as the steel OEM I would consider using a motexion. I would just need to get measurements of depth to accommodate my new recline position.

View attachment 229691

View attachment 229692

View attachment 229693
You're correct, Motexion is for vans that's didn't have OEM from factory and mount directly to the body.

My van didn't have any of the brackets but as I wanted the bulkhead for security reasons, I just added the brackets and bulkhead for the upper part only. Didn't fancy welding brackets just to cut them off later on lol

Back