Brittany and beyond!

Gavandi

VIP Member
T6 Guru
It's that time of year again....dark days and long nights so starting to think about adventures and trips for next year.
Looking at crossing from Portsmouth to France.
Anybody out there done Brittany and southwards towards Ile de Rey?
Recommendations for sites etc?
Not to be missed?
:cool: Roll on 2018!

Hi Gavandi - we've done both Brittany and Ile de Re. Both are fantastic.

For Brittany, I recommend this great campsite; Campsite in Douarnenez in Brittany - nature holidays - Huttopia We've stayed in the few under the same name (used to be Indigo, now Huttopia) and they have all been brilliant. I run a bit and the coast path to the right (as you look out to sea) was amazing.

And this site is also a belter and be sure to visit Concarneau nearby;
Camping Concarneau - CAMPING LES SABLES BLANCS **** - Bretagne, Finistère Sud
Good pool, restaurant and location.

And onto Ile de Re - absolutely loved this island and I think we'll return next Easter.
For mega facilities and a good location near the lovely town of La Flotte (we preferred it to the slightly chintzy St Martin) this is a good site; Camping ile de Ré - CAMPING LA GRAINETIERE - Charente-Maritime It's not cheap but has a great pool, bar and decent restaurant and is a good base for cycling.

We then tried a couple we weren't that sure on then stumbled in this amazing Municipal (so cheap) site - cracking value, near a load of good restaurants, pretty much on the beach and well placed for all sorts of fun;

Le Remondeau – Un site utilisant WordPress

It's quite basic but we prefer it like that.

We had 8 days of uninterrupted sunshine too; really enjoyed it.

Hi @Gavandi, there are two ports into Brittany, Roscoff and St Malo, both with Brittany Ferries. However, to take advantage of @Polzeylad's advice then Roscoff should be your choice. The " Black Mountain" of Central Brittany is a rugged, beautiful area with no major roads (N & A express roads) crossing the area as they are only along the West-East axis on the North and South of the peninsula.

Yes, moved here a while ago with no language qualification at all. Best place to learn is a cafe or bar over a glass or two. We have good neighbours and we are quiet members of the community and go with the flow. Glad we moved and have no regrets apart from the collapse of the pound from €1.50 to €1.10ish thanks to political ineptitude, and having no UK vote despite paying tax to HMRC !

Last edited:
Suits nicely as we can get to many places in an hour or two by road and the coast of the Golfe du Morbihan is beautiful and within easy reach to the south - think of places like Sene near Vannes and Penestin. There are many lovely small towns and villages all around with very pleasant places to stop and eat too.

When booking with Brittany ferries, Can you get away with if being 4x4/mpv or do you need to book it as a van? (I know that might sound daft but Iv heard people getting away with it!)

Back