Body Repair Advice

The fella wants £11.5k+VAT for it / 17 plate / 22,500 miles / T6 SWB.

Worth it considering the damage?

Needs a door - they are really hard to repair properly and straight. May be able to pull the sill, but there is a repair panel for it. Done properly with a new door you are easily over £1000 there.

I would say you need a door firstly, l don't think anyone would be able to repair the wheel arch for £175 and for it to be a top notch job in my opinion.
As always it depends what you want it to look like when it's finished, one person's 'mint' isn't anothers, if you know what l mean!
I would get a quote for a new door before purchasing.
Good luck.

Hard to see in the pics but Its Mojave Beige! A colour I really want but im not sure if this is worth the headache or not!

Think that door will still be operational on its slider as normal?

Hard to say without trying it yourself. If everything else is positive about the van and you get a good discount for the bodywork repairs l would consider it.
Just remember though....... There are more fish in the sea!

Hard to say without trying it yourself. If everything else is positive about the van and you get a good discount for the bodywork repairs l would consider it.
Just remember though....... There are more fish in the sea!

Yep, this Van sold last night to someone else with a conversion project. In Hindsight (fine thing) I should have just plumped for it. Indeed there is more in the sae, the guy is visiting a compound today to pick up more T6's with bodywork damage. I shall share his details once i have found my van ;) (tight yorkshire git i am)

Is it on the hit list
I.e on insurance companies accident list

Andy

Not recorded with insurance companies at all, the lease company sell them on with damage rather than affecting their insurance.

My T6 Kombi/dayvan 2017 and previously immaculate, got t-boned by someone who drove straight out of a fuel station into the side of me. The sliding door was wrecked and the rear N/S quarter and wheel arch had a 10cm long hole ripped right through it. Obviously there has been no issue on who was at fault with the accident but now I am having hassle with the body shop that has been assigned to repair it.

Initially they said they would replace the rear quarter because it had been holed and shouldn't be filled and fit a new sliding door. It came back and the sliding door is brand new as they agreed. But the rear quarter, they opted to patch and do a major filler job, I guess hoping I wouldn't notice.

They have failed, badly, to line up the fairly subtle style cues ahead of the wheelarch that dovetail with the same lines in the door and there are ripples in the paintwork. They have tried to replicate the line but it looks more like a hammer dent rather than styling. You can see it a mile off as far as I am concerned. They have agreed to take it back for an assessment but won't guarantee they will do as they said and replace the rear quarter because it is..." a big job"... and they reckon the insurance company won't pay.

What do people think about that?
It doesn't look like it would be a big job because the panel sits under the sliding door mechanism and is therefore quite small.

I am reluctant to settle for something that's not 100% because anyone can see it doesn't look right and that might cost me if I sell it one day.
IMG_3406 2 copy.jpg

IMG_3433 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch! It's a big job then. I'll just have to hope the insurance company plays ball. Thanks for responding.

I reversed into a post that wasn’t there today. You know the type of post I’m talking about! Would appreciate advice from those of you who’d know, as to whether or not a decent body shop will be able to pull out the dents and fill without pulling out my beautiful camper conversion and tackling it from the inside. Could you have a look at these two photos and let me know what you think?
96F4AA0E-7FCB-467D-A58A-BE33128E08ED.jpeg
232CC7C0-CBC4-4985-83CA-BA01557F8C83.jpeg

I've seen some pretty amazing work carried out by the dent guys, but doing it without getting to the other side of the dent, i'm not sure.
They will have to remove your power and water outlets anyway, and maybe they can get some decent access down the holes if needed?

Gutted for you!....

Its difficult to be sure with all the reflections etc, but id say the top dent by the power/water outlets would pop out..lower down the metal is certainly stretched so will be a lot harder to return to normal shape without good access but hopefully they can get in from the arch will get the worst of it out and a skim of filler will sort the rest.

Pretty sure that's a no, one of my work T6's got hit in the exact same spot and I had to have the whole side filled and blown over.

Circa £600 for a cash job I seem to remember, but it was a panel van so a little easier to work on.

I did the same thing with my Autosleeper Trophy, which is why I went for the reversing beepers on the T6.... much cheaper!

DSCF0004.JPG

I did the same thing with my Autosleeper Trophy, which is why I went for the reversing beepers on the T6.... much cheaper!

Whilst we are having a confessional.. I may have reversed a 350Z in to a load of scrap cars in an live action arena in front of a few thousand people a few years back. :eek: what's worse the cars owner is a bit of a joker..so I got some stick over it for a while!

I've seen some pretty amazing work carried out by the dent guys, but doing it without getting to the other side of the dent, i'm not sure.
They will have to remove your power and water outlets anyway, and maybe they can get some decent access down the holes if needed?
Thanks Toureshine, hasn’t thought of access through there. Fingers crossed or it could be tears all round!
Gutted for you!....

Its difficult to be sure with all the reflections etc, but id say the top dent by the power/water outlets would pop out..lower down the metal is certainly stretched so will be a lot harder to return to normal shape without good access but hopefully they can get in from the arch will get the worst of it out and a skim of filler will sort the rest.
Thanks for that. Appreciate your take on it. Need to do some research now on a decent body shop. Live in North London and there are plenty of bad bodyshops.
Gutted for you!....

Back