Bloated Black Kombi Build - #vanlife2.0

Attempted to start building the ‘under Kombi 3 seater bench’ storage thing. The space seems a waste and could be accessed from the front of the bench via doors/drawers for napkins, salt and pepper, plastic plates and camping cutlery etc for when we eat our lunch, picnic or make hot drinks. I also want somewhere to mount my rear speakers as I have bought a rear speaker loom from Slipknot. Also needs to house my AllPowers somehow.

71AE6B65-E758-48E3-89D2-7AB1EA45AFB2.jpeg

Anyhoo, decided to cut a sheet of mdf for the floor and cut in into a sort of W shape so it would go round the floor mounts. Then cut pieces for the outer and inner sides. This is all very well but the floor piece only just slides in from the front at an angle and although easier from the back is still a faff due to wheel arches - there is no way I can build the sides of the storage boxes and then get it back in and I can’t reach all the places to screw it together with furniture blocks if I try and assemble in situ. This will also make it impossible to carpet properly.

Then I got too hot and sweaty and the sawdust stuck to my sweaty arms and legs.

Round 2 - I think I will just build a coffin shaped box behind the bench that extends to the middle load lashing points to fix it down, with speakers down low at the front firing under the bench and a compartment for the AllPowers. The picnic paraphernalia can go in a plastic box and be slid under the bench seat instead.

Starting to get cheesed off with my run of f’ing things up on this van - hope it’s not jinxed :whistle::confused:

Realised I neglected to keep this up to date….

Have removed the storage pod after selling the EcoFlow (which is where it lived) in favour of a proper leisure install with a Fogstar Drift 105 lithium battery and Renogy 50a DC-DC converter under driver seat base.

Also removed the passenger swivel base and sold it, and the B pillar mounted table, due to not getting used.

Have installed an updated sound system comprising Alpine SPC-106T6 front speakers, AUDISON SR5.600 amp, Helix Mini Mk2 DSP under passenger seat and AUDISON 10” subs in Wheelarch enclosures - sounds amazing.

Fitted 20mm spacers to the rear of the van to pull the Canteras out to the arch a little more.

Also have a rigid 155w solar panel on the roof that will feed the leisure battery once I decide on an MPPT and where to install it. The panel is not compatible with the MPPT function of the Renogy.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1927.png

IMG_1928.png

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Realised I neglected to keep this up to date….

Have removed the storage pod after selling the EcoFlow (which is where it lived) in favour of a proper leisure install with a Fogstar Drift 105 lithium battery and Renogy 50a DC-DC converter under driver seat base.

Also removed the passenger swivel base and sold it, and the B pillar mounted table, due to not getting used.

Have installed an updated sound system comprising Alpine SPC-106T6 front speakers, AUDISON SR5.600 amp, Helix Mini Mk2 DSP under passenger seat and AUDISON 10” subs in Wheelarch enclosures - sounds amazing.

Fitted 20mm spacers to the rear of the van to pull the Canteras out to the arch a little more.

Also have a rigid 155w solar panel on the roof that will feed the leisure battery once I decide on an MPPT and where to install it. The panel is not compatible with the MPPT function of the Renogy.

View attachment 224136

View attachment 224137

View attachment 224139

View attachment 224140

View attachment 224141

View attachment 224142

View attachment 224143

View attachment 224144

View attachment 224145

View attachment 224146
Why have I never seen this write up! Obviously not looking hard enough. Fantastic thread mate!

Back