Black roof on pure grey?

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Call from the converters today to tell me my new pop top roof is slightly damaged during being storage over the last 15 months and it now needs painting. (Damn VW Bonkers delay in delivery!)

Seeing as it is now being painted, I am thinking a gloss black poptop on a pure grey van would look better than the originally planned body coded grey roof.

With the Austops being a higher profile than some roofs, my view is that it's going to look a bit ugly whatever colour it is, but with my gloss black grills, wheels, bike rack etc I think it will look better black than the grey,
I need to make a decision and haven't found any decent pictures of a pure grey 6.1 with a black roof.

Anyone out there got a black autstops roof on a pure grey van? I'd low to see a picture of the roof in its closed position to help me make my decision?

I've got an Indium grey with gloss black roof very similar to the Autstops one... one sec an i will dig out a picture

Thank you @Jlo. I think that looks really smar with a black roof. What sort of roof is it that you have?
I've really struggled to find any images of the Austops in a closed position.

I think Gloss Black would look good, especially with you having black elsewhere like you said.

We chose Blue Le Mans for our poptop, coach line, Transporter side badges and accents on spoiler etc

Thank you @Jlo. I think that looks really smar with a black roof. What sort of roof is it that you have?
I've really struggled to find any images of the Austops in a closed position.
It's a Westdubs but I removed their terrible logo, I wanted to have maximum internal roof space.

Having My pure grey fitted with the Skyline Aurora black gel roof next month. I thought the black looked nice on the grey and also saved £400. I’ll get some pics up once it’s done.

Happy New Year!

Bit of a thread resurrection but any more pics of pure grey vans with a black roof?

Mine has faded so is going in for a respray and I'm undecided as to whether to stick with body colour or go gloss black (front is gloss black already)

I am glad I went for a black roof now.
Looks good in my opinion:
View attachment 224095

View attachment 224097
Thanks for the pictures and agree the black roof looks good. Think I may have seen a picture of your van before and used it as inspiration - I have the same lights, thin stripe (albeit in blue) and wind deflectors.

At risk of more plagiarism, did you get the bike rack made black yourself ? It's next on my list and I'm looking for somewhere that will do it or at least help me disassemble/reassemble mine.

Are the Canteras on your van currently or were they old wheels?
Got any more shots of them fitted please? Currently considering new wheels but powder coating my Canteras might be an option too.
I have satin black powder coated Cateras, which I use in the summer. I love these wheels.

1704150818234.jpeg

Here is my black roof up:
1704151128081.jpeg

The top shot (of post #13) showed my Navis Mac AT wheels with BF Goodrich tyres, which I have a love/hate relationship with! (They are a pain to clean and are noisy at 30-35mph. They do however provide grip in a muddy field.)
I religiously change to winter wheels after finding that I consistently get stuck in fields without the extra grip of the noisy ugly BFG tyres,,,,,, Roll on BST!

At risk of more plagiarism, did you get the bike rack made black yourself ? It's next on my list and I'm looking for somewhere that will do it or at least help me disassemble/reassemble mine.
Link here:
(Note that mine wasn't anything like this expensive when I bought it! The price has really increased in 3 years!)

In order to avoid getting this thread more off-topic, here is another pic from a better angle, which shows the black roof. (Shame about the backdrop, but best pic that I could find!)
1704151924207.jpeg

Last edited:
Back