BiTDi EGR cooler C version: buy or avoid?

JasonS

Hi all, I know this is a long talked about subject but I have found my dream spec van but it’s an early T6 BiTDi with the ‘C’ revision EGR (I asked the dealer for the code on the EGR!). My thought is to go to the dealer with an oil test kit, send it off to be tested, then if it comes back bad then avoid, but if it comes back good then have a new EGR fitted (‘D’ revision) and then all should be good. Would anyone else do this, or just avoid totally?
Many thanks in advance!

Sound plan.
I assume you checked the g/box oil, cambelt, and water pump have also been done?

I have a 180ps, 2016 with a RevD EGR from new, now at 55K miles and no issues, a very nice drive with adequate torque for a fully loaded camper. No oil consumption and oil analysis is good.
It’s a mixed bag with the RevD EGR, some have not been a problem, others have been and have destroyed the engine. In case you aren’t aware the EGR cooler oxidises and the resulting aluminium oxide (same as used in abrasive paper) is ingested into the engine!
My advice would be not to touch a van with a RevC EGR.
If you find one with a RevD EGR get an oil sample done, the issue you have there is that you have the current owners word for when it had it’s last oil change.
There is a FB group that covers this issue.
Have a Search on 180 ps or tafmet

Sound plan.
I assume you checked the g/box oil, cambelt, and water pump have also been done?
Full service history apparently but timing belt not yet done, so they would knock that off the price. It’s done 78,000 miles and is a late 2015

Full service history apparently but timing belt not yet done, so they would knock that off the price. It’s done 78,000 miles and is a late 2015
Should have been done.
Its a Euro 5 then, no adblue...

New member here. Recently picked up a 65 plate T30 Bi Tdi 4motion dsg (assume euro 6 as adblue) that is appearing to consume some oil.

I’ve only had the van 3 weeks but it’s done about 800 miles since I picked it up and used about 500ml in this time. Oil light came on again today and I topped up with a 500ml and will monitor closely how this goes.

Unfortunately googling ‘oil consumption’ has led me to discover the ERG issues and potential catastrophic failures. I’ve also checked my ERG model and this is a ‘c’.

So it’s not looking good. Van is currently on 55k miles. What are the first steps to take?

1) oil sample test (millers)
2) compression test
3) dependent on outcome fit egr blanking valve?

Back