Bio ethanol fire

Carl1974

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Any body got any advice or tips about buying a bio ethanol fire.

I’m looking at what’s needed for a log burner install but as we have a newish build we don’t have a chimney breast. So I’m looking at an alternative, I want something that also can distribute heat and is not just for aesthetics.

Any advice?

Have you not got an external wall that you could run the flue up externally? I had a false breast built (partition) and the flue pops through the wall and runs up the house

All you need is an external wall that you can run a twin lined flue up externally. I'll grab a picture of my house from outside.

Where you fire is currently, is that an external wall? i.e. no neighbour attached to that side

I’ve been thinking about a lot burner recently but had underestimated the cost. The twin wall flu is £2.5k alone, plus fitting plus a log burner so you are realistically looking at about £6k.

Regarding bio ethanol you should also be aware of the running costs, a local company told me the running costs are quite pricey as the fuel is expensive and also be aware of the ethanol smell, quite chemically compared to a real fire. The plus side is they can be installed practically anywhere.

Many thanks for the pics Chris. I’ll make some enquiries regarding the cost of the full twin flu set up, but at a potential cost of 6k it’s a little rich for me.

In relation to the bio ethanol, it’s good that it can be placed almost anywhere but it’s pointless if it’s Kw an hour is lower than what I have now but dearer per 1ltr of fuel to run.

We looked into bio ethanol fires. They very much seem to have an aesthetic rather than a heating function with most giving off circa 2kw. Some of them are also very expensive

Do you need a fire? I ripped out something similar and now have this. I have thought about a bio ethanol fire for effect but don’t really miss it. Ps. Obviously the mrs has added more candles since! 5F4DE27B-D0EC-43A9-8341-65E140AAD7C7.jpeg

A42FA425-F381-4811-A934-3AB099865DFE.jpeg

AACFEF7B-C268-4898-8EFC-0647EB15941D.jpeg

We have bioethanol fireplace, no flue (closed off the chimney with a plate to catch/reflect the heat.
2L trough and some fake coals..
Bulk buy 72L in 1 Litre bottles.
1646751190659.png

I’ve been thinking about a lot burner recently but had underestimated the cost. The twin wall flu is £2.5k alone, plus fitting plus a log burner so you are realistically looking at about £6k.

Regarding bio ethanol you should also be aware of the running costs, a local company told me the running costs are quite pricey as the fuel is expensive and also be aware of the ethanol smell, quite chemically compared to a real fire. The plus side is they can be installed practically anywhere.
I'm just having 2 log burners fitted. The twin wall flue systems are 2.5k each but that's fully fitted, commissioned and signed off. If you add the burner then you should be around 3.5k each....plus your fireplace obviously.

Back