Bilstein Coilovers

Guy

Phase 1 Complete
I’ve got a set of bilstein B14’s on order and wondered if it’s worth having a go at fitting them myself . Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

@CALLAKN this is your dept as the resident DIY enthusiast. :thumbsup:

Personally, I thought some suppliers were offering free fitting, and set up.

Ha! Fitted mine two weeks ago. If you’ve got a couple of jacks, and stands.... it’s doable!

It’s really not as hard as I thought it would be... I was quoted £270+vat to fit,

I know THQ was doing 1200 for the b14s fitted. But I got them second hand,

But yeah DM and I can talk you through any niggles I found

so basically, if i had paid for them to be fitted, i may as well have got a new set hahaha

Thanks for the comments everyone, had a chat with a couple of fitters and decided to compromise just to have a go at the rears whilst they are doing the fronts so I don’t feel totally useless . Will post before and after photo when done

You’re capable of both
TBH you’re probably right but for the money for a professional to do it and it then have some sort of guarantee I’ll stick to the easier bits but thanks for your enthusiasm towards my manual skills

I have managed to get a 3 month old set off the forum and get them next month.
After fitting they obviously need set up what is involved in doing this is it as simple an measuring from the centre of the wheel to the top of the arch when it is on the ground then adjusting accordingly?. Or is it more complex than that

I have managed to get a 3 month old set off the forum and get them next month.
After fitting they obviously need set up what is involved in doing this is it as simple an measuring from the centre of the wheel to the top of the arch when it is on the ground then adjusting accordingly?. Or is it more complex than that

If you want it all the way down, keep the rears on the bottom of the thread (wound all the way down) and the fronts up 15mm, that should mean she’s level ! But depends what weight you have in the back.. mines empty pretty much. But I suppose if you always work off, whatever you raise it at the back by, add that “mm” measurement to the front springs which are already set at 15mm.. so could be 5mm on back meaning 20 on front ?

If you want it all the way down, keep the rears on the bottom of the thread (wound all the way down) and the fronts up 15mm, that should mean she’s level ! But depends what weight you have in the back.. mines empty pretty much. But I suppose if you always work off, whatever you raise it at the back by, add that “mm” measurement to the front springs which are already set at 15mm.. so could be 5mm on back meaning 20 on front ?
I haven’t seen the B14s before so apologies if this is a daft question . Do they have measurement marks on them or do you fit them and then put the wheels back on try and get it on a level surface measure them a and then remove wheels and alter accordingly?.
I’m just using a local garage to fit them do I would like to understand how it is done before I take it in. Thanks

Youve got a threaded piece that is the adjuster and this has rings/nuts around it that you can screw up or down to adjust the level the spring can move too
Google pic below should give you an idea, screwing them all the way down allows the spring to sit lower which will drop the van and vice versa unscrewing them will lift the van (ignore the writing its just a random picture)

images.jpg ADJUSTER.jpg

Thanks for that pauly.
So I assume that once they are fitted is quite a simple job to adjust / fine tune them with the spanner provide.
Cheers

Th
That looks simple enough. Thanks
The garage just Left me a message and it will cost £150 to fit them which I think is ok but they told me I might need extra links? I haven’t a clue what that means?.

Back