Bilstein B8/b6 Combo, Or B8s All Round...

Special actives are self adjust on rebound and definitely cant be adjusted manually , I would have recommended Adjustable KONI for a lift application in all honesty did you tell the suppliers you were lifting it ???

I'm replacing a pair of Bilstein B6s that are leaking and are now well and truly stuffed, I'm looking for better compliance on corrugations.

Ok buy the Adjustable KONI dampers NOT the special actives , If you are fitting a reputable lift spring set the dampers one half turn harder
Be cautious at the rear because the Motion ratio is very low on the rear shock and this means it doesn't have a lot of travel like the fronts . Might be a good idea to buy the Crafter ( single wheel each side ) rear shocks as they are 20 mm longer . Let me know who you are talking to and ill try to assist with part numbers etc

I'm only replacing the front struts, the B8 off road Bilsteins (longer I believe) on the rear still seem to be working OK. It will be much easier to assess with working front shocks, and have the option of getting them rebuilt as their mono tube unlike the twin tube front Bilsteins.
Rears are Bilstein F4-BE5-E035-M0
Fronts are Bilstein VN3-H560 soon to be replaced with a pair of Koni 8705-1392 which are in transit.
Are the 8705-1392's not just a 87-2645 Heavy Track's with different valving ?

8705 1392 is a completely different shock and its rebound stroke self adjusts, this is a worry because the van travelling over humps will tend to soften up and impact topping out . done tests on swamper vans here with adjustables and they are magnificent when set a little stiffer on rebound , rides bumps very well . try to change them if they aren' t with you yet . Are you waiting for them from Holland or from the warehouse in Victoria ??

B8 is a shorter shock and this is likely to be the reason you had trouble

Hi there , That is a pity because there is nothing you can do now but try them . I fear however that the advise you were given is incorrect .

Firstly KONI do supply Siegel but they also have shocks specifically spec d for their kits IE Longer or different valving ?

If you have purchased the catalogue part from Latvia it will be standard length and I fear when it softens up it will top out over bigger bumps .

My statements were substantiated by the Technical people at the KONI Factory in Holland when I visited them a few weeks ago .
One of the questions on the agenda was actually " can we use Special active shocks in lifted vehicles ?" the answer was simply " we have never tested it and wouldn't recommend it rather use the adjustable ones " .
I do hope that it works and the shocks can cope , in UK I use the Crafter longer shocks on lifted vehicles its 20 mm longer and slightly stiffer .

Good luck , and please let me know how it goes .
steve

Had my Konis fitted today and first impressions are they are an improvement over the Bilstein's when they were still in reasonable condition, but not as good as I'd hoped.
Took the van for a short drive on poor secondary country roads rutted 2 wheel tracks and a few bits and pieces in between. First impressions are that it will be better on corrugations but not to the extend I was looking for, I guess that's mainly due to very stiff and long springs in an empty vehicle. Cornering on reasonably good roads in now awesome and completely sure foots, will have to see how it behaved when teh surface gets chopped up. My old Bilstein struts were completely shot, the left hand unit gives no resistance in either direction.

Ok well , its a pity you had committed to the other shocks before I could intervene . Never mind what is done, is done . Its an improvement on Bilstein !! that's good news ! most people on this Forum think Bilstein is the best so I guess we are moving in the right direction . I am not sure what it is that you wanted from the Van but I hope it isn't the Special active not liking the height because there isn't anything we can do except lift the van ?? thanks for the feed back however , The guys in Latvia clearly aren't very knowledgeable on the product, and didn't give you the best advise ( In my opinion ) this is a shame and I have spoken to the main guys at KONI to warn them about some training there maybe .

OK have a few miles on the Koni's now and after driving to Melbourne and back (about a 900Km round trip) this week end through some pretty shit tarmac with long sections on C roads, mostly single lane roads, with the speed limit reduced to 60km/h from 100km/h due to poor surface conditions, I'm pretty impressed and happy with their performance even when I didn't bother to slow down.
After a detour or 2 over cattle grids I discovered that it's only the Bilsteins on the rear that are causing issues on corrugations the koni's on the front seem to be soaking them up without complaint. I'll have to see if I can find someone to revalve my Bilsteins to make the high speed more compliant on corrugations.
Big long whoops are now easily soaked by the konis and bilsteins alike. I just with the overall ride was a little more comfortable, particularly on high speed square edges, but I guess you can't have everything.

OK have a few miles on the Koni's now and after driving to Melbourne and back (about a 900Km round trip) this week end through some pretty shit tarmac with long sections on C roads, mostly single lane roads, with the speed limit reduced to 60km/h from 100km/h due to poor surface conditions, I'm pretty impressed and happy with their performance even when I didn't bother to slow down.
After a detour or 2 over cattle grids I discovered that it's only the Bilsteins on the rear that are causing issues on corrugations the koni's on the front seem to be soaking them up without complaint. I'll have to see if I can find someone to revalve my Bilsteins to make the high speed more compliant on corrugations.
Big long whoops are now easily soaked by the konis and bilsteins alike. I just with the overall ride was a little more comfortable, particularly on high speed square edges, but I guess you can't have everything.

Sadly revalving the Bilstein isn't a good option , It isn't the valves making the Bilstein harder its the Hi pressure gas inside the shock , unfortunately a mono tube shock has to have the hi pressure gas to stop the Oil chamber cavitating . Maybe get some advice from the Bilstein agent down there . You may find it nearly as expensive as buying the KONI s to match . ( you could then sell the billies to a Fan )

Ok well , its a pity you had committed to the other shocks before I could intervene . Never mind what is done, is done . Its an improvement on Bilstein !! that's good news ! most people on this Forum think Bilstein is the best so I guess we are moving in the right direction . I am not sure what it is that you wanted from the Van but I hope it isn't the Special active not liking the height because there isn't anything we can do except lift the van ?? thanks for the feed back however , The guys in Latvia clearly aren't very knowledgeable on the product, and didn't give you the best advise ( In my opinion ) this is a shame and I have spoken to the main guys at KONI to warn them about some training there maybe .
Hello Steve,
Could you tell me what would be the correct/recommended Koni part number of the front adjustable dumpers (T30) for lifted van? I've seen part number 8741-1612SPORT, which is part of the lift kit, but I was unable to find just dumpers and I don't want to buy the whole kit.
Thanks

Hi there

The part number you mentioned isnt a KONI Catalogue part , in other words not available through normal channels .Its built for a company called Deimann in Germany and they distribute the kit , Try them directly first and see if they can supply or give you a dealer nearby ( info@diemann-fahrwerktechnik.de )

We use the 87 2645 and a 25 mm spacer here at our workshop and it works very well .

How high were you hoping to lift it ?? ( or have you already lifted it )

steve

Hi there

The part number you mentioned isnt a KONI Catalogue part , in other words not available through normal channels .Its built for a company called Deimann in Germany and they distribute the kit , Try them directly first and see if they can supply or give you a dealer nearby ( info@diemann-fahrwerktechnik.de )

We use the 87 2645 and a 25 mm spacer here at our workshop and it works very well .

How high were you hoping to lift it ?? ( or have you already lifted it )

steve
Hello Steve,
Thanks for the hint. I forgot to mention those Konis I've been looking for are labeled XL. BTW, it seems those 87-2645 are 695mm long, which is about 4-5cm longer than stock. Do you know how long are XLs and how they differ from 87-2645? Are they adjustable as well?
My van has already been lifted 35mm on spacers. I have Pedders dampers in rear, which I'm very pleased with, but I'm still on stocks in the front. Unfortunately, Pedders doesn't make front dampers that fit T5, therefore I want to buy Konis and adjust them, so they play nicely with Pedders.
Thanks,
Adam

Because the longer shocks aren’t a Koni catalogue part. We dont have access to the tech info. It’s the company Deimann who would have the info. But
I seriously doubt they would be more than 20mm longer
. If the shock is too long it creates lots of problems

Because the longer shocks aren’t a Koni catalogue part. We dont have access to the tech info. It’s the company Deimann who would have the info. But
I seriously doubt they would be more than 20mm longer
. If the shock is too long it creates lots of problems
Steve,
Just a quick question... Are those 87-2645s good with stock springs? I see you have mentioned you put those with 25mm spacers, so I would assume those spacers are not in addition to extended springs...
Thanks

Steve,
Just a quick question... Are those 87-2645s good with stock springs? I see you have mentioned you put those with 25mm spacers, so I would assume those spacers are not in addition to extended springs...
Thanks
The 872645s are designed to work with stock springs. But we have used them with 50 mm lowering springs and 25 mm lift spacers. You must use longer springs or the spacers. Not both together

Back