Bike beside Bed dilemma

russ_e

IT Developer
T6 Guru
Looking to install a slim bed in my kombi that will allow me to fit a MTB down the side.

Narrowed it down to either the van furniture sliding bed or the infinity customs slim bed.

Just wondered if there were any other options I've missed?

Buy a cheap single bed frame and adapt? That way you could get a normal comfy mattress

Reimo bike and surf, there’s one on eBay at the moment. Can fit it on either side and plenty of space for a bike

Not used it in anger yet but have painted the plywood to match the interior of the van. Will get it setup and post some pictures.

I bought the the Van Furniture standard sliding bed. Standard Laminated Sliding Bed - Grey — Van Furniture . Original plan was to leave the rear section in the van as Its my everyday work vehicle and could be used as storage. And for my weekend overnight trips (biking, hiking etc) I'd put the front section in.

But as its only me sleeping in the van i found a way to use just one section:-

64571348010__08EBDB06-8A01-4EE0-86FE-928D324D5F32.JPG64571349543__ACF30B6E-F57F-454C-91FA-506B8D5892A4.JPG
I bought a couple of table legs and wood from the local DIY store and fixed them to the L-Track (for the rear seats when fitted). I bought 2x 650mm x 900mm x 100mm cushions online and have a useable single bed with plenty of room for bikes, skis etc. It all packs down in a couple of minutes. Note the above was a rough dry fix!!

Everyday with the rear seats in:-

64503468560__125F83B7-3925-48B7-9300-49AC2D6DF9D9.JPG

I still have the other half of the bed but I doubt I'll even use it.

Have you thought about making one? I have a slot together ply bed that I made. Can make a king size double including the 2+1 rear seats, or a single. The single was made so I can get my MTB in the van with me, which it does fine. One day i'll try my motorbike in there instead but haven't got around to that yet.

I don't have pics but you essentially make a narrow, single bed sized frame and rest the bed board on that and the folded over double bench

Flatout camper beds make a side sliding bed that works perfect for this, I've used it for mtb or mx bikes. You can use the bed as a single and have your bikes next to it or when you go away without any bikes you can pull it across into a full with bed.

51538712_2066329740103374_6096492140056018944_n.jpg

Finally got round to installing the 40 Winks Bike Station. Found that the M10 bolts to secure it to the lashing point are far too short if you have your floor lined. Then to make things worse the quick release bike stand that ships with the Station is not wide enough to be used on any mountain bike a thru-axel.

Not overly impressed to be honest, though I guess I should have checked...

1627890599745.png

1627890645031.png

1627890866713.png

1627890896874.png

Last edited:
I've had one of those for a while. I bought it out of convenience at the time, but since then I can't help but thinking just how over priced it was in all honesty. I could have made something more adaptable for less that half the price; pay your money, take your choice I guess. It certainly falls into the bracket of 'being overpriced because it has transporter in the name' I think.

That's been made by someone who doesn't ride a bike by the looks of it. What ever happened to sleeping on the van floor?...We're all getting too soft these days ;>

Not the best setup ever, but works okay for now. With the bikes out you get a pull out double bed. If I'm away on my own I sleep on the single with my bike with me. If we are are away and take the bikes bikes I just chain them to the wheel under the awning!
20210803_123526.jpg

Back