Bik, Combi Vs Panel Van

Wattt6

Hi everybody,
New to this forum and about to rejoin the VW club 2 years after selling my T5.1
I'm after a bit of advice, I am in the fortunate position where I can choose my new company car and my employers are happy with me having a Transporter as opposed to a car.
Ideally I would love a Kombi but after many hours of searching the internet have struggled to find a definative answer on the BIK rules for Kombi's. The consensus seems to be T32's are okay as they carry over a ton but even this may be a risk as HMRC could classify this as a car which would incur insane BIK tax as I also get my fuel paid for and they are making noises about doing so.
I have pretty much accepted the less risky way to go is a panel van, -my question is what are the implications about an after market conversion to a Kombi (windows and seats), I have found a supplier that can supply new T6 converted which will show Panel van on the invoice and on the V5 -
I'd appreciate anybody thoughts on this or if anyone has considered this approach.?

I’m going through the same pain.

I concluded that a Kombi was definitely out so have bought a panel van. I wasn’t going to fit windows, but when my converter (Exploria) tried to convince me that it would be OK, I asked my accountant to confirm. They were unwilling to do so (after lots of to-ing and fro-ing) without confirmation from HMRC. So a letter has been sent. However, I have been warned that they might not get a definitive reply, and even putting rear seats in might be a step too far for HMRC. So it’s an airbed on the floor for now!

Of course, one can take the risk, and there is probably a fair chance of not getting investigated. But it could be a big bill if one was.

Do an internet search for the Coca Cola first tier tribunal finding.

I’m going through the same pain.

I concluded that a! Kombi was definitely out so have bought a panel van. I wasn’t going to fit windows, but when my converter (Exploria) tried to convince me that it would be OK, I asked my accountant to confirm. They were unwilling to do so (after lots of to-ing and fro-ing) without confirmation from HMRC. So a letter has been sent. However, I have been warned that they might not get a definitive reply, and even putting rear seats in might be a step too far for HMRC. So it’s an airbed on the floor for now!

Of course, one can take the risk, and there is probably a fair chance of not getting investigated. But it could be a big bill if one was.

Do an internet search for the Coca Cola first tier tribunal finding.
As you say, there is the possibility of a big bill, but bear in mind that HMRC will give you notice of an inspection and who knows what could happen to the rear seats in that time.

Things used to be much looser, I remember getting a Pajero "commercial" in the early 2000s which at the time attracted a BIK of £500 on a vehicle value over £25k. Aircon, heated leather seats etc, but by removing the rear seat belt bolts it was classed as having no rear seats, which you were then at liberty to put back, along with the rear windows which were in a box on the back seat.

Awful car though, got rid after 6 months

Can I ask, just how much personal use will you use it for? Do you have another car in the household?

Sounds like a bit of work and pleasure then? You could try and say you use the van 100% business and the car for everything else, but if you start converting it to some kind of Kombi/multi use, and the HMRC find out, you're stuffed. I have a Kombi, but in my line of work I need to carry people and gear at the same time, and I do, and I keep a mileage log, and to be fair the van sits on the drive most of the time on a day off. I'm not even allowed to go to the tip in mine.

Back