Big budget upgrades

There seem to be quite a few people who've had the VB system and been a bit underwhelmed, it also doesn't sound like it fits my requirements. If I go for this I think it will have to be ABP and Accuair, now to get some prices and decide on who to trust to fit it.

There was one guy on the forum I remember having a nightmare with some wheel tracking type issue after having VB fitted but it’s the only case I’ve heard of anyone having a serious issue?

Other than that, I think it’s just people after the slammed look complaining it doesn’t drive low enough, which is fair enough - this just isn’t the target market for it. The car park crawler mode is proper low though, so no issue with height barriers etc.

Whatever system you get, make sure it’s got quality auto-level!

There was one guy on the forum I remember having a nightmare with some wheel tracking type issue after having VB fitted but it’s the only case I’ve heard of anyone having a serious issue?

@Eli ??

Reactions: Eli
It's a firm called Teals Engineering that makes the Karitek racks etc @andys . There are two facebook pages,Karitek and Karitek Products which is the Teals one and i found that one to be most responsive to enquiries. They are not cheap but really well made and will save the old back the way they come down the side of the van to load and unload. I am definitely having one when all this,hopefully,blows over

£10G prize. VB Air suspension, Hill decent, Walas Diesel Cooker, (Want greater engine braking perhaps need transmission tuning to achieve?) Lazer Lamps Triple R Smartview

Probably over spent? If there is any change left I would like replace OEM LED head lamps changing for Appropriate HID Head-lamps (legal of coarse). To top up from the bank of day dream T6, Real-tree wrap, or something very similar. For camouflaged wild camping. That's not too much to ask for is it? :whistle: Oh I forgot about the snorkel!
Good list, and I bet that's rapidly heading towards £20k! :thumbsup: :D

The Hill Descent is an easy one to sort though, I fitted it myself following guidance on here so anyone could do it.

Good list, and I bet that's rapidly heading towards £20k! :thumbsup: :D

The Hill Descent is an easy one to sort though, I fitted it myself following guidance on here so anyone could do it.
I agree have followed the thread but I am still under warranty. When I was buying the vehicle, a cancelled order, sales guy went along with my plan to do the down hill assist, only to tell me once I had paid for it, that it would invalidate my warranty and VW UK warned not to do it! :devil: Even though he was told how important it was for my situation. :devil:

Other than that, I think it’s just people after the slammed look complaining it doesn’t drive low enough, which is fair enough - this just isn’t the target market for it. The car park crawler mode is proper low though, so no issue with height barriers etc.

Whatever system you get, make sure it’s got quality auto-level!
It doesn't go high enough for me, and its Sport mode is 30mm below standard and is apparently not customisable. I'm on B14s at the moment and although I don't have it slammed, and am not bothered about airing out when parking, I'm approx 70mm drop at the moment. I wouldn't really want to be any higher than 50-60mm below stock while driving around normally. It seems the ABP system will do this, Andy from THQ gives a quick summary of the differences during this video

Last edited:
I agree have followed the thread but I am still under warranty. When I was buying the vehicle, a cancelled order, sales guy went along with my plan to do the down hill assist, only to tell me once I had paid for it, that it would invalidate my warranty and VW UK warned not to do it! :devil: Even though he was told how important it was for my situation. :devil:
Fair enough, I waited till mine was out of warranty too.

Last edited:
It's a firm called Teals Engineering that makes the Karitek racks etc @andys . There are two facebook pages,Karitek and Karitek Products which is the Teals one and i found that one to be most responsive to enquiries. They are not cheap but really well made and will save the old back the way they come down the side of the van to load and unload. I am definitely having one when all this,hopefully,blows over
That's amazing, I didn't realise roofracks could do that! Was just thinking I'd have to start carrying a ladder.

It doesn't go high enough for me, and its Sport mode is 30mm below standard and is apparently not customisable. I'm on B14s at the moment and although I don't have it slammed, and am not bothered about airing out when parking, I'm approx 70mm drop at the moment. I wouldn't really want to be any higher than 50-60mm below stock while driving around normally. It seems the ABP system will do this, Andy from THQ gives a quick summary of the differences during this video

Ah, fair enough, I didn’t realise you were after something on the low side. Make sure you quiz them about autolevel though, it might not come as standard if the target market is more performance than camper.

Good call, but most of the above (apart from retrim and ceramic coat) are more functional and would enhance my experience of the van. I have done a lot of travelling around the world (inc South America) in my life and enjoy flying less and less as I get older, the experience I'm really looking forward to is bogging off in my van to anywhere in Europe (or UK if that's ever ok again) I want, with no timetable and no deadline to be back.
Brexit might have you scuppered there.. I think the mount of days in europe per year / or trip is a factor... no more free travel..

Ah, fair enough, I didn’t realise you were after something on the low side. Make sure you quiz them about autolevel though, it might not come as standard if the target market is more performance than camper.
Yes you're right, it's an extra £400 ish for auto levelling but I would certainly want it adding. In an ideal world I'd like 70mm below standard at one end and 50mm above standard at the other but nothing will give me that :D

Last edited:
Brexit might have you scuppered there.. I think the mount of days in europe per year / or trip is a factor... no more free travel..
No there'll be no problem travelling, just a bit more paperwork. It's just if you wanted to stay in a country for months at a time that you'd have to get a visa, but even that will probably be waived in a future agreement. I've got family here and Germany and Finland but I wouldn't be out of the UK for more than a month at a time. It's more Covid that will scupper things for the immediate future, but hopefully that will largely be sorted by the time I stop working in May 22.

Yes you're right, it's an extra £400 ish for auto levelling but I would certainly want it adding. In an ideal world I'd like 70mm below standard at one end and 50mm above standard at the other but nothing will give me that :D

There is a little known VB option called something like 'off-road' or possibly '4x4' or something that gives extra lift, might well get you 50mm above standard in off road mode. It's definitely not going to get you a driving height of 70mm below standard though!

That's amazing, I didn't realise roofracks could do that! Was just thinking I'd have to start carrying a ladder.
I have these metal tracks already in my roof, they appear to be bolted through in multiple places. Are these what I need to mount a roof rack on without needing anything else?

Someone tell me I’ve struck lucky here, I could do with a bit of luck after this week?
52F7D602-11F3-4C4E-B68B-2712156BC24B.jpeg

I think you might have struck lucky @andys ,i have not got a pop top so im not totally sure but it definitely looks that way. Send that photo to Teals and ask what you would need to attach a Karitech to that and go from there

Back