Big budget upgrades

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've spent the last few months umming and ahhing about what to replace my van with and had more or less narrowed it down to two (neither VW so let's leave it there... :speechless: ), but the events of this year, and probably most of next year, and a re-evaluating of what I like or dislike about my van is more and more making me think that I will keep this van forever (I'm 57 and retire in 18 months so forever may not be as long as you are imagining ;)). The cost for me to change was in the ballpark of £30-40k on top of my van, so if I don't change, man maths tells me I now have magicked up a big budget to improve this one!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid enough to throw that sort of money at it, but I think £10k would be a reasonable (again, man maths) figure to make some big changes.

I'm not a big wheel or bodykit type of person so I'm thinking - Air suspension, retrim in leather/Alcantara, swamper wheels and AT tyres, replate from T28 to T30, dent removal and detail/ceramic coat, some sort of roof rack system for kayak.

So what would you do with £10k to spend on your van?

Oh what a dilemma!!! :laugh:
First on my list would be full paint correction and ceramic coat treatment done by a professional. (Or is graphene the new detailing kid on the block?)
I'm an enthusiastic amateur but the pros can achieve a result that I can only dream about.
And I'd expect some change out of 3K never mind 10K!
For what it's worth I think if you're happy with your current van you're making the right decision in these challenging times. :thumbsup:

Oh what a dilemma!!! :laugh:
First on my list would be full paint correction and ceramic coat treatment done by a professional. (Or is graphene the new detailing kid on the block?)
I'm an enthusiastic amateur but the pros can achieve a result that I can only dream about.
And I'd expect some change out of 3K never mind 10K!
For what it's worth I think if you're happy with your current van you're making the right decision in these challenging times. :thumbsup:
Well that's just it, I'm not completely happy with it but I've come to realise that it's impossible to get everything I want in one van, in fact some of them are direct contradictions of each other, and just maybe I got it right last time when I decided this was the best compromise for me.

I’d buy stuff only to make the van more functional, tyres, bigger water tanks, boring stuff like that, and beyond that...

Ferry ticket to South America?

Seriously, I’m a way off retirement sadly but prioritising experiences over stuff feels right to me.
Good call, but most of the above (apart from retrim and ceramic coat) are more functional and would enhance my experience of the van. I have done a lot of travelling around the world (inc South America) in my life and enjoy flying less and less as I get older, the experience I'm really looking forward to is bogging off in my van to anywhere in Europe (or UK if that's ever ok again) I want, with no timetable and no deadline to be back.

Last edited:
Full leather re-trim,paint correction and ceramic coating and a Karitek roof rack for the kayak. £4500ish all in,now then,about that other £5500...........

Ceramic coat for sure, so much easier to keep clean. Air suspension is great although if you’re going for the swamped look not sure you will get the most out of it.

Good call, but most of the above (apart from retrim and ceramic coat) are more functional and would enhance my experience of the van. I have done a lot of travelling around the world (inc South America) in my life and enjoying flying less and less as I get older, the experience I'm really looking forward to is bogging off in my van to anywhere in Europe (or UK if that's ever ok again) I want, with no timetable and no deadline to be back.

In that case, I can recommend VB air suspension in general. The auto-level is magic, you don't want to spend your retirement fiddling around with chocks every time you pull up!

Ceramic coat for sure, so much easier to keep clean. Air suspension is great although if you’re going for the swamped look not sure you will get the most out of it.
But that's the whole point, I want the swamper practicality when I need it, without the look, and still be able to fit in my garage and in restricted height parking.

In that case, I can recommend VB air suspension in general. The auto-level is magic, you don't want to spend your retirement fiddling around with chocks every time you pull up!
There seem to be quite a few people who've had the VB system and been a bit underwhelmed, it also doesn't sound like it fits my requirements. If I go for this I think it will have to be ABP and Accuair, now to get some prices and decide on who to trust to fit it.

Reactions: Eli
Ah now you mention garage, air would work great. Best of both worlds this way. :thumbsup:

There seem to be quite a few people who've had the VB system and been a bit underwhelmed, it also doesn't sound like it fits my requirements. If I go for this I think it will have to be ABP and Accuair, now to get some prices and decide on who to trust to fit it.

I have ABP with AirLift 3P, love it although I do need to add another compressor in case the one I have packs in and to speed up the tank fill time.

Full leather re-trim,paint correction and ceramic coating and a Karitek roof rack for the kayak. £4500ish all in,now then,about that other £5500...........
Do you have personal experience of the Karitek and if so do you have a poptop?

£10G prize. VB Air suspension, Hill decent, Walas Diesel Cooker, (Want greater engine braking perhaps need transmission tuning to achieve?) Lazer Lamps Triple R Smartview

Probably over spent? If there is any change left I would like replace OEM LED head lamps changing for Appropriate HID Head-lamps (legal of coarse). To top up from the bank of day dream T6, Real-tree wrap, or something very similar. For camouflaged wild camping. That's not too much to ask for is it? :whistle: Oh I forgot about the snorkel!

Last edited:
Hello @andys ,i was actually in the process of buying one for my van but lockdowns in Scotland and now here have scuppered that for now. Definitely going to get one though to transport my Canadian canoe that i fish from. I know someone that has one and they are a nice bit of kit. I don't have a poptop but i am pretty sure that they can be fitted with one

Hello @andys ,i was actually in the process of buying one for my van but lockdowns in Scotland and now here have scuppered that for now. Definitely going to get one though to transport my Canadian canoe that i fish from. I know someone that has one and they are a nice bit of kit. I don't have a poptop but i am pretty sure that they can be fitted with one
Thanks I'll look into it, have no clue where to start with roofracks as I've never had one. Now I think about it, I think I'm being a bit of an idiot there, I would want the roofrack on while camping with the top up and I assume it mounts to the metal either side of the poptop and would prevent it going up. Doh. Might have to stick to inflatables.

This is why my company has bought my LV T6 with absolutely everything spec'd in it, I plan to keep it at 4 years old and use it as a second vehicle for work if needed.
I'll probably upgrade the Konis and lowered springs to air suspenders, definitely getting Ovano for both work use and leisure, wheels will be going VFR Bronze soon, Milltek exhaust, dsg remap and get rid of the annoying DPF and adblue shit

Hi @andys ... 10k....Well I retired early and looked to do the outdoor stuff .... Traded in my 18month old X3 m sport it was just a toy for a T6 x demo with lots of toys and then started to sent money like water on the van but kept it simple...for me the van does the work but realised l wanted more from the whole camping/ outdoor experience ...but as you all now space is a problem
so now I’m investing in a trailer to carry the bikes....hang the solar panels on ..and modify a awning canopy to attach to the trailer to give me more flexibility to enjoy outdoor life ..10k has long gone...but van life is great ...my days of changing every 3 years are over...I’m investing in this van to take me to places and enjoy meeting great people.
What ever you do with your 10k enjoy it

ps the wife would now like a paddle board :eek:

Hi @andys ... 10k....Well I retired early and looked to do the outdoor stuff .... Traded in my 18month old X3 m sport it was just a toy for a T6 x demo with lots of toys and then started to sent money like water on the van but kept it simple...for me the van does the work but realised l wanted more from the whole camping/ outdoor experience ...but as you all now space is a problem
so now I’m investing in a trailer to carry the bikes....hang the solar panels on ..and modify a awning canopy to attach to the trailer to give me more flexibility to enjoy outdoor life ..10k has long gone...but van life is great ...my days of changing every 3 years are over...I’m investing in this van to take me to places and enjoy meeting great people.
What ever you do with your 10k enjoy it

ps the wife would now like a paddle board :eek:
I like your style :thumbsup:

Back