Bi Turbo lag bordering on dangerous.

A-Plan charged me an extra £30 when I declared my Revo engine and TVS gearbox map to them.

No hesitation at all in the last 3 years since I’ve had them both done.
Thank you again so much for the recommendation. A lovely advisor at A-Plan sorted out my insurance today, less than £2 more than Quotemehappy (albeit a slightly higher excess and not counting the cancellation fee from QMH.) brilliant service and brilliant policy, I’m reet chuffed. Have a top weekend Insert

Any details about the specification/limits it was tested against?
I’m afraid not, I assume it was “this feels fine” rather than anything mechanical. If there’s a measurable difference with the before and after at the remap on Monday I’ll let you know

Reactions: mmi
Mine was a 2wd so anything wet and/or on a slight hill you press accelerator to pull away and it all happens very slowly, then the turbo kicks in! then traction control throws its toys out the pram and gives the turbo a bollocking, meanwhile the tyres are saying Oh for Fecs sake if you think i am gripping you have another thing coming..... then you start to see the whites of the eyes of the car driver bearing down on you.
i now have a 2017 4M which still has the lag but at least the tyres dont get as grumpy, so the traction control can be a bit more chilled
I have a new 4m due in a few weeks so we will see if i can train it from new but i suspect that lag will still be there and i cant imaging the vw warranty will be happy if i want to get a re-map, have to wait 5yr till out of warranty.

I guess this wouldn't be so much of a problem with a manual but don't know if the bi turbo comes with manual? but i think it is a DSG thing as my Auto Ranger, you just floor it and its off with no lag

Mine was a 2wd so anything wet and/or on a slight hill you press accelerator to pull away and it all happens very slowly, then the turbo kicks in! then traction control throws its toys out the pram and gives the turbo a bollocking, meanwhile the tyres are saying Oh for Fecs sake if you think i am gripping you have another thing coming..... then you start to see the whites of the eyes of the car driver bearing down on you.
i now have a 2017 4M which still has the lag but at least the tyres dont get as grumpy, so the traction control can be a bit more chilled
I have a new 4m due in a few weeks so we will see if i can train it from new but i suspect that lag will still be there and i cant imaging the vw warranty will be happy if i want to get a re-map, have to wait 5yr till out of warranty.

I guess this wouldn't be so much of a problem with a manual but don't know if the bi turbo comes with manual? but i think it is a DSG thing as my Auto Ranger, you just floor it and its off with no lag
Yep, you’ve described it beautifully! Although there’s no lights suggesting the traction control is joining the chat. The little dashcams start flashing and beeping though! A 4M would be my one big change if I could magic it into the van. It’ll be interesting to see how Bonsly does over winter. I’ve sworn by winter and then winter slanted all season tyres on my old 5 Series BM, so hopefully they’ll cope with a 3 tonne FWD van.
What’s your new van Rob? Are you getting a T7 Multivan or can you still get no miles T6.1s in NZ?

Yep, you’ve described it beautifully! Although there’s no lights suggesting the traction control is joining the chat. The little dashcams start flashing and beeping though! A 4M would be my one big change if I could magic it into the van. It’ll be interesting to see how Bonsly does over winter. I’ve sworn by winter and then winter slanted all season tyres on my old 5 Series BM, so hopefully they’ll cope with a 3 tonne FWD van.
What’s your new van Rob? Are you getting a T7 Multivan or can you still get no miles T6.1s in NZ?
4mo 6.1 been a 2 yr wait... Putin fecked it all up !

2019 Caravelle 199.
There was an issue with original/delivery engine software which caused the "jumpy" behaviour - specifically on CXEC engine (199PS). Has VW verified the engine software has been updated?

There was an issue with original/delivery engine software which caused the "jumpy" behaviour - specifically on CXEC engine (199PS). Has VW verified the engine software has been updated.

Hmm, I don’t know for sure but I guess I trust / hope they would have. Is that really naive? I bought it from a Skoda dealer that’s part of a dealer network with a VW commercial garage who have done a health check including replacing a track rod end, and a battery and ECU check after two battery breakdowns. I presume they’d have done this given the explanations I gave but I’ll drop them a line to check. Thanks for that, I really appreciate it

There was an issue with original/delivery engine software which caused the "jumpy" behaviour - specifically on CXEC engine (199PS). Has VW verified the engine software has been updated?

Thanks for sharing the DSG problems thread, really interesting and the issues others have had are exactly what's going on with my Caravelle. I'll see if HR in Durham, who are doing the Pendle remaps on Monday, can put any of the before and after data up here in case it helps anyone else. I'll try and give some layman feed back here too.

Reactions: mmi
Thanks mate that’s really helpful and a lot less daunting. I’ll call them in the morning. Fingers crossed. I'm really grateful for that
You want the gearbox remap, do you have to get the engine remap done too? If not then you can honestly state on your insurance the engine hasn’t been remapped and the gearbox is a software update

You want the gearbox remap, do you have to get the engine remap done too? If not then you can honestly state on your insurance the engine hasn’t been remapped and the gearbox is a software update
Thank you. I'm going to get both done; I know it's in the Pendle guys' interests to say there's the best chance of fixing it with both, but it is what they've advised and there's a discount for getting both. The insurance company were brilliant and are charging the same price as I was paying with mainstream insurer. For personal stuff as well for me, I've spent the last few years seemingly endlessly taking my last car to garages as I couldn't afford to change it, and I can just see the situation with this where the gearbox remap improves it but if it isn't perfect I'll have a niggling doubt I should have done both, and then it's another day away getting it fixed. I'm probably being overzealous but I'm so fed up with car problems! I'll let you know how it is once it's done on Monday

Fair enough, I have a manual gearbox and an unmappable 102 engine (due partly to that gearbox!) so tbh this is far from my area of expertise!

Good luck with the upgrade, hope it gives you what you’re looking for :thumbsup:

Fair enough, I have a manual gearbox and an unmappable 102 engine (due partly to that gearbox!) so tbh this is far from my area of expertise!

Good luck with the upgrade, hope it gives you what you’re looking for :thumbsup:
Cheers! Driving the boss's 1-Series BM with a manual after I very quickly got used to the DSG in the Caravelle made the little Beemer feel like a rocket ship!

can still get 2wd 6.1's easily, but i dont know about 4m and built to order stuff, there were big delays due to covid then Putin, but its in the country now, i just have to wait for it to work its way south.

well just an update - my new 6.1 4mo seems to not have as much lag as previous modal 2wd and 4mo maybe VW have tweeked it a bit.

Back