Best route to get to overhead cubby hole, across floor up 'A' pillar or 'B' pillar?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm currently routing some wires up to the overhead cubby hole area as I'm going to mount some switches up there.
One from under the drivers seat and 4 or 5 from behind the drivers seat (fuse box/relays are mounted at forward end of kitchen unit, directly behind the drivers seat).

I've took the dash end plastic and A pillar plastic/grab handle off then ran a couple of the wires in over the headlining with some draw wires. Before I pull them all through is this the best route as they will have to run across the floor/sidestep at some point (there isn't any factory stuff going this way), then up the wheel arch? Would it be better to run them all up the B pillar and over the drivers door maybe?
Seat and base etc are all out at the minute as I'm re-wiring some of my 12v leisure stuff, so no hardship to take them across the floor, just don't want them to get damaged.
I'm going to fabric tape all the wiring so it look a little more factory and prevent any chaffing.

Cheers!

@j4ckal what switches are you thinking of fitting? I've no need for any of those fitted by @Deaky but will be running cables in soon. I was just thinking USB power for a dashcam but don't want to have to open it up more than I need to.

I took mine up the b pillar and across the door.
View attachment 72857

Cheers @Deaky . I may look at rerouting them then, would feel more comfortable taking them that way. Already got some stuff running up the B pillar so can just loom in with them.

Cracking job on the switch panel, mine will be a bit more basic than that.

@j4ckal what switches are you thinking of fitting? I've no need for any of those fitted by @Deaky but will be running cables in soon. I was just thinking USB power for a dashcam but don't want to have to open it up more than I need to.

Just basic led rocker switches for me, and a voltmeter for the leisure battery.
I'll be switching the main hd relay for the leisure battery, tap pump, shower pump, fridge and one spare for possibly heater, all switched off micro relays.
I thought about the usb for dash cam up there, I may hard wire one in though (to leisure battery) and have it on a switch?

Thank you. That looks equally good.
I am trying to lay foundations for future mods and the more I think about it the more I am inclined to create something similar and just route all cables to the underseat area.

@Deaky
Where did you get your labels printed for the switches? Look neat they do, just read your full build then, stunning job.

Also whilst I'm working in this area would it be wise to run a wire in to the courtesy light to wire into my step lights? I've already ran wires in left to right in the cab and rear to the side loading door step.
Any info on which wires off the back of the light I need to tap into? Much appreciated :thumbsup:

@Deaky
Where did you get your labels printed for the switches? Look neat they do, just read your full build then, stunning job.

Also whilst I'm working in this area would it be wise to run a wire in to the courtesy light to wire into my step lights? I've already ran wires in left to right in the cab and rear to the side loading door step.
Any info on which wires off the back of the light I need to tap into? Much appreciated :thumbsup:
I printed the labels myself mate. Pm me what you want and your address and I’ll run you some off, you just need to trim the white margins off :thumbsup:

I printed the labels myself mate. Pm me what you want and your address and I’ll run you some off, you just need to trim the white margins off :thumbsup:

That's brilliant thanks, cheers I'll be in touch.

No mate they are all 2 way latched.

Back