Battery charging from cig socket

RichieM

VIP Member
Hi,
Something is draining my T6.1 battery. According to the Tracker the vehicle battery is reading 12.0 V.

At the moment my wife is going out and running the van about every week.

I'm at work in Africa at the moment so looking for an easy option to save my wife any hassle.

Is their any lithium boost batteries that can be plugged nto the cigarette socket and trickle charge it? Would that even work?

My van is kept on a public road so charging with EHU is not an option at the moment.

Cheers
Richie

Loads of info on here. Start with @Dellmassive guide

Thanks for that - Jump packs they're called then

But is there any that can be left plugged into the cigarette lighter or do they have to go over battery terminals?

I'm away for six weeks at a time so rather long at this time of year leaving the van. Solar not too good at this time of year in Scotland.

Not to worry. I just bought the NOCO 1250Amp model. Just need to direct my wife in how to install in van.
Cheers
the Noco 1250A (GBX45) is a jump pack and to be used if the battery was flat.

Noco are one of the best jump packs.

1671170952806.png

but the GBX45 is concidered underpowered for a T6,

and a GB70 Upwards is recomended for the T6.

+++++++++++

as its a jump starter it cant be "wired in" as a charger,

its only to be used on the van by clipping onto the starter battery and jump-starting a flat battery - then unclipped.

+++++++++++

you will need a different way to keep the starter battery chargerd for extended parked time.

if left for 3weeks or more. . . . .

+++++++++++

one option could be to used a "portable Power station" left in the van.

ie:

then connect a smart charger to that and plug into the 12v front socket . . .

that will then trickle charge the starter battery for weeks untill the portable powerpack is flat . . .

eg:

+++++++++++++++++

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll just get my wife to run the van every week for the next few weeks until I get home. I actually already have a Bluetti EB55 which if I connect to my EHU it should charge both vehicle and leisure batteries through my Victron IP22. I just haven't run through the charging procedure with my wife.
I used to have an old T25. Battery maintenance over the winter was a dawdle - completely disconnected usually.
Thanks @Dellmassive for the info about the Noco. I cancelled that order for now.

It sounds like you already have what you need. Why not try switching on the eb55 and the ip22 and see how much run time that gives you? (Switch it on while parked up for a long time. And switch it off when you're go driving)

this is something our member @Spaghetti ( i hope you dont mind me using your pic?) was doing the other day . . . .

using a smaller power pack . . . and a 4A smart charger.

View attachment 182160
No probs @Dellmassive. The charger was around £25 from Halfords (Trade Card), and I just bought a CTEK cigarette lighter adaptor, and changed the quick connect end for a Halfords compatible one so I can quickly change it for croc clips if required.

The Halfords charger comes with croc clips or ring terminals, both on quick connectors.

I have got a decent 10A smart charger but this is ideal for a quick top up.

One thing to remember is that the cig lighter plug must have an appropriate fuse in case it’s shorted out or overloaded, and the charge current can’t be too high as it’s only a 12v accessory socket.

You need to make sure the connection is good too as a poor connection will generate heat which could be dangerous.

Last edited:
I've compiled a list of instructions for my wife to try the charging routine via the EHU and Bluetti. So will see how it goes.

First time I've been away over a prolonged time over winter with this van. I rely on solar the rest of the year when I've been away.

@RichieM Out of interest what tracker do you have?

I got back from a fortnight’s holiday yesterday and the van was dead as a dodo. I called VW Assist (and was mightily impressed by a response time of less than 10 mins) and the first thing he asked was does the van have a tracker on it. I’ve got a MetaTrak S5 Deadlock and expect it to drain the battery a little bit, but not down to 5.5V in just under 2 weeks!! I suspect, and am hoping, there is something else rather than just the tracker which I’m going to have to look into as I struggle to believe the tracker alone is such a drain.

Loads of great advice here from @Dellmassive which I’m going to have to read back in slower time and save up for!!

VW Assist got the van up and running in minutes using a Noco jump pack. I took a photo with a view to getting one of my own if the battery continues to behave like this. He made a point of saying to get at least the GB70 to have sufficient power for the van.

D7B8F5F0-49A4-40FF-A6D7-91954A4DA4EE.jpeg

Maybe a silly question but how long does a Noco GB70 actually hold a charge for? I'm wondering whether it would start the car after sitting in the boot for 4-5 weeks in an airport car park.

Be careful just running the van for a period each week without taking it for a run, its likely the DPF could become clogged and bring on the warning light, I've experienced this on 2 VWs that I had on the drive now although both solved by taking for a good blast, Caddy was easy to reset but I had a golf which took quite a lot of mileage to get the lamp to go out :thumbsup:

Be careful just running the van for a period each week without taking it for a run, its likely the DPF could become clogged and bring on the warning light, I've experienced this on 2 VWs that I had on the drive now although both solved by taking for a good blast, Caddy was easy to reset but I had a golf which took quite a lot of mileage to get the lamp to go out :thumbsup:
Once the van was started last night I went straight out for a good run for precisely this reason. Better a drive in the dark and fog then more problems down the line.

@RichieM Out of interest what tracker do you have?

I got back from a fortnight’s holiday yesterday and the van was dead as a dodo. I called VW Assist (and was mightily impressed by a response time of less than 10 mins) and the first thing he asked was does the van have a tracker on it. I’ve got a MetaTrak S5 Deadlock and expect it to drain the battery a little bit, but not down to 5.5V in just under 2 weeks!! I suspect, and am hoping, there is something else rather than just the tracker which I’m going to have to look into as I struggle to believe the tracker alone is such a drain.

Loads of great advice here from @Dellmassive which I’m going to have to read back in slower time and save up for!!

here's the thread on Jump Starters / jump packs:

FWIW i also have the METATRAK Tracker . . . .

a standard van with no extra bits plugged in should last about 4 weeks . . . before a flat battery.

my van will last 3weeks before a flat battery ( with tracker and USB bits and bobs running)

++++++++++++++

you have a problem with something draining the battery is you are at 5v after 2weeks . . . . .

also running the battery that low just a few times will kill it / severely reduce its capacity.

++++++++++++++++

FWIW . . .

i recommend the NOCO GB70 and have one. . .

1671708159129.png

+++++++++++

check them out here:

1671708211885.png

@DanTK

check out the main list of epic-ness

Back