Battery Chargers - How I Did It -

My Noco Genius 10 failed yesterday, I went to see if it had finished topping up my starter battery and all the lights were flashing on it and it seemed to be quite hot. I left it overnight, but plugging it back in this morning (not connected to the battery) but it is still doing the same. Disappointing as I've only used it a few times.
Oh no @Loz . . . nightmare.

mines been good for the last couple o months. (Genius10) - ( it does get hot when charging Lifepo4 )

1621155912476.png

was it just connected to the starter battery? (and body ground?)

what lights are flashing? ( all like bellow . . . too hot or too cold?)

+++

1621156283598.png

++++

NOCO are very good with warranty claims . .

@Spaghetti had a Boost pack swapped over at the retailer last year - no questions asked.

i had a GB150 replaced after 2years at cost by NOCO after i cooked it in a hot summer tent.

++++

If you’re having a problem with your NOCO product, please contact support by emailing support@no.co

Please have the following information ready when contacting support:

You will need:​

• Proof of purchase.
  • Serial number. Make sure your product is registered at no.co/register.
  • Your contact information, including your name, shipping address, email, phone number, and company if applicable.
  • Include a detailed description of the issues you are experiencing. Any photos and videos you can provide are great for helping us diagnose the problem. Please include these in the email.

@Loz . . . . does pressing the mode button do anything?

From the manual I assume it overheated and has not recovered from that mode.
Will try force mode.
was connected to the +ve and chassis.

no difference, everything flashing and squeeking.
kuput then . . . warranty / retailer swap.?

If its retailer and they offer you a full refund . . . take a look at the Victron Blue Smart range . . . ( me and @Deaky run them as well)

very good chargers, IP65, 5A/10A/15A, Lithium modes and work with the Victron APP for logging.

a bit more expensive than the NOCO, but you get more features.

eg: Victron Energy Blue Smart IP65 Charger 12/10(1) 230V UK - BPC121031024R: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome

1621159216188.png

+++

Your NOCO G10 . . .

is it worth asking where the charger body was when i was charging? . . . . wrapped up in a woolly jacket, or just sitting freely in the engine bay?

just wondering about overheating?

they state in there info: "charger will resume once temp back within limits"

• Enjoy precision charging - An integrated thermal sensor detects the ambient temperature and alters the charge to eliminate over-charging in hot climates and under-charging in cold climates.
  • Simple to set up and use - Plug-in, connect to the battery, select a charge mode, and start charging your battery. A fully-automatic, worry-free battery charger for year-round use.

1621159540004.png

+++

It was amazon but interestingly there is no return/refund for this despite me only buying it in December, but I had a different product fail at 18months and amazon replaced it...
I'll have to go via noco and see how they respond.

is that what yours is doing . . . ? (oh that is yours - Doh !!)

+++

You know the UK consumer product laws - 12mnth (possibly 24mnth) warranty against defect/failure, though this warranty claim would normally be upheld via the manufacture. so if you have no joy with the re-seller - go direct to NOCO with proof of purchase and that vid clip as proof of fault.

+++

Amazon is fantastic with there returns policy. - if its stocked / supplied by them.

it can be a bit iffy if you purchased via amazon from a third party seller via its Market place.?

either way . . . i normally have the best result by direct contact via Amazon through there message service.

HELP > Contact us > Contact us > Start chatting now

1621162225757.png

1621162211250.png

1621162367046.png

++++

FYIW

i started 2019 NOCO contact via the web listed email. (GB150 failed at 24mnths - my fault, i cooked it, so not a mnfctr defect)

our replacement was sent from the Europe warehouse.

and was dealing with a "Sharla Henderson" on email - Support <support@noco.desk-mail.com>

JUL 22, 2019 | 05:17PM EDT
Sharla Henderson replied:

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting NOCO support. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you have had with your GB150. The GB150 has a 1 year warranty for replacements, and we would certainly want to get this unit swapped out for you. We normally require that devices be returned to our warranty department for service according to the terms of our warranty policy. However, given your location we would not ask that you incur the hefty freight costs that would be required to send this unit back to us. Instead, please find remote warranty instructions below:

If your NOCO product is not functioning within its original design specifications, and has not been altered or modified, please email me an image or two showing the splitting case, a copy of the proof of purchase, an image of the serial number of the product, your return shipping address, and a good contact telephone number, and I will provide you with an RMA and instructions for warranty services.

Here is a link that gives you a detailed illustration on how to locate the serial number: NOCO - Locating Genius Boost Serial Numbers - Support

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Sharla Henderson

Last edited:
Oh no @Loz . . . nightmare.

mines been good for the last couple o months. (Genius10) - ( it does get hot when charging Lifepo4 )

View attachment 116304

was it just connected to the starter battery? (and body ground?)

what lights are flashing? ( all like bellow . . . too hot or too cold?)

+++

View attachment 116305

++++

NOCO are very good with warranty claims . .

@Spaghetti had a Boost pack swapped over at the retailer last year - no questions asked.

i had a GB150 replaced after 2years at cost by NOCO after i cooked it in a hot summer tent.

++++

If you’re having a problem with your NOCO product, please contact support by emailing support@no.co

Please have the following information ready when contacting support:

You will need:​

• Proof of purchase.
  • Serial number. Make sure your product is registered at no.co/register.
  • Your contact information, including your name, shipping address, email, phone number, and company if applicable.
  • Include a detailed description of the issues you are experiencing. Any photos and videos you can provide are great for helping us diagnose the problem. Please include these in the email.
I think mine was a software issue. The charging indicators were flashing whether it was plugged in and charging or unplugged.

I didn’t take it back for about 3 days and by then it’d gone flat and reset.

They still changed it though!

Hi all,

Wonder if you could have a look in the below screen shots in respect of my current charging process. Van currently plugged in at home. Inbuilt leisure battery charger indicates below figures and one of the screen shots is of battery monitor hooked up on the same battery.

I am confused that charging figures are not indicating a charge in Ah, but on the second image is saying it's in absorption charge.

We went camping over the weekend, hooked the van via EHU turned the fridge on (medium temp) but it appears that battery was depleated despite being on EHU wentdown to 12.1v accordingtothe battery monitor. Its standard Dometic 12v mini fridge. Electric sockets working properly when on EHU, leisure battery charging fine when driving the van.

Am I panicking for nothing or could there be a fault with brand new LB charger when on EHU?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20210525-131310.jpgScreenshot_20210525-131336.jpgScreenshot_20210525-131458_Battery Monitor.jpg

As you can see, battery going down steadily when the fridge was turned on once we arrived at the campsite and pluged via EHU around 13:30hrs on 22nd. Battery gauge in the cupboard was in the green area while the battery monitor was in the read zone saying low battery and the Victron charger app saying absorption charge initially and then in the evening Float.

We came back on 23rd, as you can see voltage going up and down early morning when the fridge was kicking in, and the battery voltage going up when driving back.

Surely if on EHU it shouldn't drop this much?Screenshot_20210525-134252_Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20210525-134000_Battery Monitor.jpg

Hi all,

Wonder if you could have a look in the below screen shots in respect of my current charging process. Van currently plugged in at home. Inbuilt leisure battery charger indicates below figures and one of the screen shots is of battery monitor hooked up on the same battery.

I am confused that charging figures are not indicating a charge in Ah, but on the second image is saying it's in absorption charge.

We went camping over the weekend, hooked the van via EHU turned the fridge on (medium temp) but it appears that battery was depleated despite being on EHU wentdown to 12.1v accordingtothe battery monitor. Its standard Dometic 12v mini fridge. Electric sockets working properly when on EHU, leisure battery charging fine when driving the van.

Am I panicking for nothing or could there be a fault with brand new LB charger when on EHU?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 117335View attachment 117336View attachment 117342
How is your in-built charger connected? - I would say its not actually connected to the leisure battery if its reading 14.4V with 0A current while your battery monitor is showing clear discharge.

Also , What do you have between the started battery and the leisure battery - Is it a split charge relay or a DC-DC convertor - looks like the former

Simon

How is your in-built charger connected? - I would say its not actually connected to the leisure battery if its reading 14.4V with 0A current while your battery monitor is showing clear discharge.

Also , What do you have between the started battery and the leisure battery - Is it a split charge relay or a DC-DC convertor - looks like the former

Simon

Hi Simon,

To be honest I am not sure how it's connected, we bought it already converted from a reputable converters last October. It appears that its charging fine when driving but not while on EHU?

As you can see currently it's in a Float mode and multimeter is showing 12.7v. Surely they wouldn't install a charger without connecting to the LB? What would be the point of installing one in the cupboard? Well confused now....

Screenshot_20210525-155732.jpg

20210525_155946.jpg

20210525_160151.jpg

Simon
I am just thinking if it is showing 0Ah current, could that mean that the battery is full perhaps? @Loz what do you think?

I would say its not connected to your LB.
Is it connected to the other side of a split charge relay and charging your starter battery?

The split charge relay would allow charging of the LB while you're driving

I would say its not connected to your LB.
Is it connected to the other side of a split charge relay and charging your starter battery?

The split charge relay would allow charging of the LB while you're driving
LB is charging fine while driving, I don't think that is charging SB while on EHU. I understand that SB is only charged when the van is moving or via direct charge via clamps. I have noticed that when I am trickle charging SB, LB then gets charged as well, but not other way around when on EHU.

Time to talk to your converter - your charger and monitor are clearly showing different voltages - They are not connected to the same point in the circuit.

I think the charger would show exactly those characteristics if it was not connected to the LB. That could be an internal fault in the charger or an external wiring fault - Ask if there’s a fuse between charger and LB - has it blown? ( or accidentally not fitted into fuse holder)?
Have you ever seen current flowing on the charger display?

Simon

Back