Bak-rak: Anyone Using Or Tried??

T6Hippo

T6 Pro
IMG_5951.JPG Whilst on a motorbike tour of Europe last year I noticed a lot of T6's with additional storage carried on a tow bar attachment. I'm also looking to add extra storage for longer trips without going as far as towing trailer. I came across this company whilst doing my research. Does anyone have any experience of this system? I've seen the THULE system but this looks well made and quite a bit cheaper.

Reactions: Eli
Hi
We are the makers of bak-rak and sell loads to T6 owners so you should get a 'proper' reply.
However it is worth noting that we have developed a new 'tumble mount' specifically for T6 and similar that tilts the box over the outside edge so you can still open the back door. Also our systems work happily with your box so we have many people fitting such as the Thule box onto our rack which carries 100kg versus 45kg for the Thule.
Here is a picture of our tumble mount system with a different box ( the one you show is our own tough bigger and best box).
We do two types of rack for the boxes - our basic box rak (in our photo) and the much stronger base-rak that in stainless steel G4 form will carry 120kg. This can be left on the vehicle and form a step into the back.
Happy camping
Pete

TUMBLE on box rak frame tip box.jpg

Hi
We are the makers of bak-rak and sell loads to T6 owners so you should get a 'proper' reply.
However it is worth noting that we have developed a new 'tumble mount' specifically for T6 and similar that tilts the box over the outside edge so you can still open the back door. Also our systems work happily with your box so we have many people fitting such as the Thule box onto our rack which carries 100kg versus 45kg for the Thule.
Here is a picture of our tumble mount system with a different box ( the one you show is our own tough bigger and best box).
We do two types of rack for the boxes - our basic box rak (in our photo) and the much stronger base-rak that in stainless steel G4 form will carry 120kg. This can be left on the vehicle and form a step into the back.
Happy camping
Pete

View attachment 36616
Thanks for info, be in touch shortly

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY EVER

They advertise next day delivery i ordered on the 9th August and its now the 16th and still no delivery i phoned and some stressed bloke got stroppy and said they had too much on. Its not bak rak - you can't even contact them they hide behind a messaging service and don't reply to messages ever. They use another company to send their stuff out who are just as rubbish to get hold of and when you do they are just as unhelpful, they tell you they will send it the same day and then don't. I have no idea if the £300 worth of stuff i ordered is ever going to arrive.

With a bit of time, a grinder,weld plant and scrap metal I have modified my Thule easy platform to do the same . I can fix the bikes or a cargo box to the upright then tilt it back to open the tail gate

4A7F93D1-D74D-417B-B631-8969840BFA65.jpeg

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY EVER

They advertise next day delivery i ordered on the 9th August and its now the 16th and still no delivery i phoned and some stressed bloke got stroppy and said they had too much on. Its not bak rak - you can't even contact them they hide behind a messaging service and don't reply to messages ever. They use another company to send their stuff out who are just as rubbish to get hold of and when you do they are just as unhelpful, they tell you they will send it the same day and then don't. I have no idea if the £300 worth of stuff i ordered is ever going to arrive.

AN UPDATE - IT GETS WORSE
Well said item canoe rak has arrived, ordered on the 9th arrived on the 18th not too bad for next day i guess. Well it gets worse, some plastic parts (tightening knobs) are broken, zinc passivized parts drilled after coating (so will rust very quickly) instruction diagrams so poorly printed as to be unreadable. Some riv nuts are too proud and not compressed properly so box section wont fit. whole thing is too unstable on the tow bar to be safe when loaded with two canoes, i will be redesigning the whole thing and putting most of it in the bin where it belongs, a very expensive mistake. Of course no answer to any contact with the them only the message service who will pass your message on and you never hear back.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DO THE SAME READ THIS AND OTHER REVIEWS.

AN UPDATE - IT GETS WORSE
Well said item canoe rak has arrived, ordered on the 9th arrived on the 18th not too bad for next day i guess. Well it gets worse, some plastic parts (tightening knobs) are broken, zinc passivized parts drilled after coating (so will rust very quickly) instruction diagrams so poorly printed as to be unreadable. Some riv nuts are too proud and not compressed properly so box section wont fit. whole thing is too unstable on the tow bar to be safe when loaded with two canoes, i will be redesigning the whole thing and putting most of it in the bin where it belongs, a very expensive mistake. Of course no answer to any contact with the them only the message service who will pass your message on and you never hear back.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DO THE SAME READ THIS AND OTHER REVIEWS.
From Bak-rak. We started doing canoe racks following pleas from users that they had seen something like it in the US (where they sell for 700$ and only fit receiver hitch). They are made up to order so the next day for most of our products cannot apply to this product. They are designed to be stabilised from the top of the back doors for which a strap is supplied. This doesn't stop some people expecting it to be stable from just a towball mount.
We are a small company operated by one person so don't extend to being able to answer the phone most of the time - but unlike most of our competitors we DO have a phone to call. We do ring back but often end up just leaving a message.
Our main product is the base-rak (stainless steel or zinc plate) of which there are hundreds around and which are universally loved. We have never had one broken in normal use. ~These are in stock and the 'next day' applies. They can be fitted with a tumble-mount to move a box away to open the back doors.
Pete

I had a Bak Rak several years ago (probably 10 or more actually). There wasn’t anything else around like it at the time if I remember correctly. I bought the bicycle carrier attachment to go with it as well. This was a bit if a faff, but did the job. The main use we got was carrying luggage and/or camping gear on holiday (we always take far too much), and I must say it did a good job and seemed pretty secure. I was always careful not to exceed the tow bar weight limit by weighing things on bathroom scales. I’ve never used it on the van (only on cars), and sold it when I bought the Cate Carrier for my van.

Reactions: CAB
Great that you provide a response to negative feedback but you are responding to a 2 1/2 year old message which complained on your delay/lack of response :)
I did not know about this comment until a customer pointed it out.. Ironically as you say a couple of years after it was written.

I did not know about this comment until a customer pointed it out.. Ironically as you say a couple of years after it was written.
Fair enough, looks like the OP joined, made those 2 comments and not been back since so I don’t think it matters

Fair enough, looks like the OP joined, made those 2 comments and not been back since so I don’t think it matters
As the only? UK manufacturer of towball carriers etc. we often get approached by customers with odd ideas about new things to carry or ways of carrying them. Hence the canoe rak. They are all convinced that, because they want one then there MUST be a market. This forum is a good place to air these ideas and if you come across things where there is a REAL consensus on what is needed in the way of towball mounted kit, then we would be happy to hear from you / or them.

Back