Awning shops/ displays

Granted, the last time that I was there was pre-lockdown but then they seemed to have most of the Vango range in. @Mi58ck might say different as he has more recent experience.

Granted, the last time that I was there was pre-lockdown but then they seemed to have most of the Vango range in. @Mi58ck might say different as he has more recent experience.
They had a few Vango and a few Kampa.Also other makes but i was only looking at Vango and Kampa so didn’t take much notice

Thanks to everyone who suggested Attwoolls. We visited today and they have such a great selection. Even more confused now then before. We talked ourselves out of the Galli 3 that we’d gone there thinking we would wand and decided to go with a Hexaway. But then we found out it doesn’t have a sewn in ground sheet- we’ve only ever had tents with sewn in ground sheets so we are not apprehensive if this is the right awning to go for?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone who suggested Attwoolls. We visited today and they have such a great selection. Even more confused now then before. We talked ourselves out of the Galli 3 that we’d gone there thinking we would wand and decided to go with a Hexaway. But then we found out it doesn’t have a seen in ground sheet- we’ve only ever had tents with sewn in ground sheets so we are not apprehensive if this is the right awning to go for?!?!?
We have this ....but like you no ground sheet. ( as in not fitted but hooked in after assembly) so we brought a large tarpaulin peg in down and then put up the hexaway on top then hook in the loose ground sheet.... we think it’s great

CE71C70B-7886-4589-B28C-4233B7660697.jpeg09A76E98-2253-4DEB-84F0-32AD0E6EC403.jpeg
excuse the naff wind breaker it’s gone

Sewn in groundsheet, in our opinion, are a pain. Difficult to clean, cause a wet mess underneath and make the awning bigger and more difficult to pack.
many UK sites don’t allow sewn in groundsheets as it kills the grass
We have a clip in groundsheet for the Khyam but only use it in really bad weather.
We tend to use a woven mesh mat with a carpet on top (most manufacturers sell waterproof carpets made to fit the awning and also clip in groundsheets)
below is a link to the Fiamma matting or for other sizes/colours google Moroccan matting.
if you buy the clip in bedrooms they come with built in groundsheet so for sleeping your sorted

Our main concern was that we required 2 individual sleeping compartments for the kids to sleep in. This led to us getting an awning that would make the Crystal Palace look a bit pokey! So I think it will be too big for a lot of sites and we’ll have to go with a sun awning and two small tents instead which could also cause us issues on some more particular sites.

Anyway, the point I guess is that it’s worth considering the size of the awning too when compared to the average plot size
We had that problem even with a vango galli compact caravan and motor home club said it was to wide with the van parked according to their rules reversed in awning to the side total width over 6mt out come the tape measures hence no longer with them

That’s proper old school. Did they come out with a clipboard to mark up your penalty points? :rofl:

The awning plus van is still smaller than our old tent and car and we never had any problem with that even though it was larger than most sites allowed. The difference was I guess we could set that up to fit the pitch. The van and awning have to go around the way they have to go (if you know what I mean)

That’s proper old school. Did they come out with a clipboard to mark up your penalty points? :rofl:

The awning plus van is still smaller than our old tent and car and we never had any problem with that even though it was larger than most sites allowed. The difference was I guess we could set that up to fit the pitch. The van and awning have to go around the way they have to go (if you know what I mean)
they did their daily walkabout trouble is i argued with them about the width the bol***ks of it all was that we had a 10mt strip of grass between us and the next unit camping clubs so much easier to deal with just put unit size as 5mt x 5mt and sort it out on site other than that it defaults to a jumbo pitch also they dont seem to mind which way you park round either

Back