Awning Rail and Roof Bars

Looking at one of these, did you fit anything underneath it to stop any rubbing on the van roof? I like the idea of bolt on but not keen on the metal on paint :eek:
I used some 3m tape double sided off amazon. It’s used for sticking reg plates etc. Worked great

I used some 3m tape double sided off amazon. It’s used for sticking reg plates etc. Worked great
Ahh brilliant! Cheers! Did you use the existing fasteners and just add some silicone to and around them?

Ahh brilliant! Cheers! Did you use the existing fasteners and just add some silicone to and around them?
No they are rubbish they are not strong at all. I bought some stainless M6 16mm stainless bolts from Screwfix and some washers from Wilkinson’s to use instead. This was after one snapped in the channel and I had to drill it out.

Hi,

I,ve just brought a rail to fit to my T6 with roof bars from Lightning leisure. By fitting the C rail i the gutter of the van and then mounting the roof bar on top does it not make one side of the roof bar higher than the other? Does the side without the awning rail not need some form of riser plate to make it level?

many thanks

Hi,

I,ve just brought a rail to fit to my T6 with roof bars from Lightning leisure. By fitting the C rail i the gutter of the van and then mounting the roof bar on top does it not make one side of the roof bar higher than the other? Does the side without the awning rail not need some form of riser plate to make it level?

many thanks

Theoretically yes, but the bars are up high and you don't notice the difference in heights.

Pete

Hi,

I've just bought a VW predrilled C-channel awning rail for my t6 from funky leisure, its the raised one specifically for roof bars, and I've bought my roof bars from DST Online, tried fitting the roof bars on top of the rail this afternoon and it simply wouldn't fit. It seemed as though the screws that go through the roof bars bad through the rail to the roof weren't long enough as the weren't catching in the pre drilled holes. Has anyone else bad this issue and had to buy longer screws or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sam

Got any photos showing the issue ?

Pete
Not really, the issue is when I'm putting the screw through the top of the roof bar hole to mount it to the roof, jt doesn't seem to be long enough to catch to the pre drilled hole in the roof. I've given up off tonight and given the roof bar company an email to see if I've bought the wrong ones but i will give it a go tomorrow again and send some photos through

Not really, the issue is when I'm putting the screw through the top of the roof bar hole to mount it to the roof, jt doesn't seem to be long enough to catch to the pre drilled hole in the roof. I've given up off tonight and given the roof bar company an email to see if I've bought the wrong ones but i will give it a go tomorrow again and send some photos through
These are the links to the items I bought, I couldn’t find anywhere where it says they’re not compatible!

Those don’t look like the OEM rails, which are made by Omtec. I have the Omtec ones, and they definitely work with the additional C-rail.
This may be as simple as the length of the fixing bolts. Are the fixing bolts long enough on the side without the C-rail ?

Pete

Those don’t look like the OEM rails, which are made by Omtec. I have the Omtec ones, and they definitely work with the additional C-rail.
This may be as simple as the length of the fixing bolts. Are the fixing bolts long enough on the side without the C-rail ?

Pete
That was going to be my next guess but it got dark before I could give it a try! Going to give it a go without the rail tomorrow to see if it fits! Out of interest where did you get your roof rails from?

Hi,

I've just bought a VW predrilled C-channel awning rail for my t6 from funky leisure, its the raised one specifically for roof bars, and I've bought my roof bars from DST Online, tried fitting the roof bars on top of the rail this afternoon and it simply wouldn't fit. It seemed as though the screws that go through the roof bars bad through the rail to the roof weren't long enough as the weren't catching in the pre drilled holes. Has anyone else bad this issue and had to buy longer screws or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sam
Man I wish I'd found your post! Almost a year to the day, I've just come in from giving up trying to fit the DST bars with my awning rail. DST don't reply to requests for refunds so just checked the bars up on FB marketplace. Now looking for bars that will fit with my awning rail.

Lightning Leisure do what you want. I have one, and it fits in the existing channel, under the roof bars.

Pete
Hi pete, i know this is an old thread but still pops up in top of searches. I have bought the same as you due to reading your comment. and fitted it yesterday. How did the last few inches of yours fit to yours? I mean from the last rear roof rail mount to the tailgate? it fits nicely all along but that last few inches of the awning rail, due to being a straight rail, and the roof curving down at the rear, makes the rail stick up from roof. Did you put an extra screw/bolt at the very rear of this (screwed into the roof) or try to pre-bend the rear of awning rail? It will work as it is sticking up from roof, but i worried that with awning attached the rail will move at this point and rub/wear the paint off the roof channel.

Ours looks like this. It flexes a little, but you could always put some sealant under it as it leaves the curved profile of the roof.
No rubbing issues with ours.

Pete
268632F0-D97A-4D4F-9367-0FF7BC1F69A3.jpeg

Back